2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I've been all in on Walker for sure. Unfortunately, I doubt he leaves Charlotte to come to Phoenix. If he does leave the Hornets, my guess is it's because he wants to play on a contender or for a big market.

I guess if the Suns get hot late and Booker/Ayton and crew look like an obvious future contender...but even then I think it's a long shot.

Keep up the hope. Never know. The Suns would have to overpay.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To be fair, Book has had a really bad year. Hand issue, then hamstring twice. Additionally, he's been shooting them off the dribble, without having anyone find him for easy catch and shoot situations.

Bad is an understatement. Booker is regressing horribly.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've been following Dallas closely this season and they are playing Charlotte tonight. I will be shocked if Kemba signs with them again this summer. They are awful, and they have zero young talent. Hornets are a mess.

But, sadly, they are not as much of a mess as the Suns are right now. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them come into our building and blow us out by 20. Everyone else seems to be doing that right now.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Walker would be perfect, seems very unlikely he signs here. Rubio is far more likely on an obnoxious 4yr/90m deal.

I was surprised Bookers 3p shooting was that bad. Booker is 35.8% for his career and Rubio is 32.5%.

Rubio misses only ten more threes than Booker for every 300 attempts. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Walker would be perfect, seems very unlikely he signs here. Rubio is far more likely on an obnoxious 4yr/90m deal.

I was surprised Bookers 3p shooting was that bad. Booker is 35.8% for his career and Rubio is 32.5%.

Rubio misses only ten more threes than Booker for every 300 attempts. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Um, no thanks. No thanks at $60M, let alone $90M. At that price point, I'd rather let okobo and Melton develop.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Um, no thanks. No thanks at $60M, let alone $90M. At that price point, I'd rather let okobo and Melton develop.

Except neither Okobo nor Melton have the potential to be NBA starting point guards. They really are shooting guards in point guards' bodies and project to be Leandro Barbosa and Eddie House, respectively.

I really think that barring a trade for someone like Mike Conley or Jrue Holiday (which I still think should be our Plan A), our best bet is to throw $14-18 million a season at Russell, Collison or Teague.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No chance Rubio gets that sort of money. That's upwards of $20 million a year and the Jazz aren't paying that and we're not going to blow almost all of our cap space on signing him for that much either. I could see 4 years/$60 million and possibly that goes up to $70 million but that's the most. The Jazz last year were the first winning team he's played on. He's not going to be super picky in free agency because there are only so many starting PG jobs in the league. I think we'll need to pay more than some other teams but this idea we'll need to overpay players by a ridiculous amount just isn't happening. That hasn't happened in resigning any of our own players over the years and I can't think of any teams that overpaid for players that much that are around Rubio's age and experience. There are 30 starting PG jobs in the world and we have one of them to offer. That plus our cap space will help us bring someone in.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Hope you are right. His current contract is 55m. I can see us having to pay 70.

Everyone knows the suns cannot go into next season without a quality PG. He is the third best PG available.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No chance Rubio gets that sort of money. That's upwards of $20 million a year and the Jazz aren't paying that and we're not going to blow almost all of our cap space on signing him for that much either. I could see 4 years/$60 million and possibly that goes up to $70 million but that's the most. The Jazz last year were the first winning team he's played on. He's not going to be super picky in free agency because there are only so many starting PG jobs in the league. I think we'll need to pay more than some other teams but this idea we'll need to overpay players by a ridiculous amount just isn't happening. That hasn't happened in resigning any of our own players over the years and I can't think of any teams that overpaid for players that much that are around Rubio's age and experience. There are 30 starting PG jobs in the world and we have one of them to offer. That plus our cap space will help us bring someone in.

Two words: Trevor Ariza.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trevor Ariza was on a 1 year contract. He never would have gotten multiple years at his salary.

Fair point. I was just emphasizing that the Suns have been known recently to overpay ridiculously for a player who couldn't even command half the salary on the open market.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some feel good stuff on Melton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some feel good stuff on Melton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Then why does booker have the ball 90% of the time while they're both on the court. Idk if it's 90 but feels like it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Then why does booker have the ball 90% of the time while they're both on the court. Idk if it's 90 but feels like it.
Because Booker is the better scorer and passer. Until we get someone who facilitates as well or better than Booker than Booker will continue to have the ball a lot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Booker may feel he has to carry the team but I wish he would defer to teammates who have open shots more often.

It's not a good situation for Booker or the team to not have a point guard running plays.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker may feel he has to carry the team but I wish he would defer to teammates who have open shots more often.

It's not a good situation for Booker or the team to not have a point guard running plays.

Well sure ideally that is true. But look at the offense when he is out of the game. Nobody else seems remotely able to get the offense going. They run in circles at the top of the key, and maybe if lucky someone gets a 15 -10 foot shot off in the lane - which by the way is a very low percentage shot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well sure ideally that is true. But look at the offense when he is out of the game. Nobody else seems remotely able to get the offense going. They run in circles at the top of the key, and maybe if lucky someone gets a 15 -10 foot shot off in the lane - which by the way is a very low percentage shot.

So...who's to blame?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was particularly thinking about that triple overtime game against the Wizards when Booker seemed to run out of gas.

Booker is the best point guard the Suns have but it is negligent not to say the Suns need a starting point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was particularly thinking about that triple overtime game against the Wizards when Booker seemed to run out of gas.

Booker is the best point guard the Suns have but it is negligent not to say the Suns need a starting point guard.

A well rounded point guard would be nice but at a minimum, he needs a backcourt running mate that is a threat with and without the ball.