2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big Smith fan but I can't see him being available for the Milwaukee pick. And if he is, we should jump on that deal as quickly as possible.

totally agree if that's all it took, but can't believe that to be true.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
totally agree if that's all it took, but can't believe that to be true.

Yeah. He's been somewhat of a disappointment but that's just a giveaway. I wouldn't even come close to trading Jackson for that pick and until recently he's been a bigger disappointment than Smith.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, I just listened to the latest locked on suns podcast, and they talked about the bright side event where James Jones spoke.

According to them

1. Jones has no interest in making a trade for a pg, he wants to sign one in fa.
2. Apparently his targets are 1. Terry Rozier 2. Deangelo Russell
3. He does not want anymore young players, so a trade of our pick is most likely.
4. He does not want to give up any of our young players in trade, and instead wants to focus on developing them.

If this is true, and the suns are going hard after Rozier I think I am going to be sick. I am not really crazy about Russell either, but I would far prefer him if those are the two options.

Rozier will just be a horrific signing, this actually makes me pray Boston will offer him to us at the deadline cheap - like just the milwaukee pick basically and he can play awhile on the suns so Jones can see how much he sucks, and we avoid paying him a huge contract.
A) not impressed with either rozier or Russell.
B) our pick is going to be valuable. Sounds like he’s not valuing it. I get not needing more youth but this worries me that he’s going to give it away for peanuts.
C) goOd he wants to develop, not move, our youth.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be okay with Russell, at the right price. Same with Smith (though I think there are much better fits at the point out there).

I want no part of Rozier. At best he is another Bledsoe or Knight waiting to happen. He is an average at best combo guard who thinks he's a superstar and acts like it on and off the court.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
A) not impressed with either rozier or Russell.
B) our pick is going to be valuable. Sounds like he’s not valuing it. I get not needing more youth but this worries me that he’s going to give it away for peanuts.
C) god he wants to develop, not move, our youth.
Where are you getting the idea that he is essentially just going to give the pick away? Just because he would much rather trade it than use it doesn't mean that he is going to trade it for nothing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can use another young talented player through the draft so I'm hoping they keep their first round pick unless an excellent trade comes along and then I would still want to protect the pick.

They will have a lot of open slots this summer so it's not like they do not have room on their roster for an early draft pick.

The Suns front office should keep an open mind about the draft especially when free agency can be used to address needs.

As I am looking at their roster, there are the nine players I can see on the roster for next season:

1. Warren
2. Ayton
3. Jackson
4. Bridges
5. Booker
6. Oubre (RFA)
7. Holmes (FA)
8. Okobo
9. Melton

*Anderson (his salary will likely be stretched)

NBA teams can carry 15 players so they have plenty of room to add a draft pick and veterans.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA teams can carry 15 players so they have plenty of room to add a draft pick and veterans.

And they have to carry 14 players also. Two-Way players do not count toward that total either. The deadline for a team to sign Two-Way contracts is the 15th of January. Of course we have both spots used but if we convert one to a normal contract that would free up another. I don't think we'll do that but who knows. Acy is satisfying the 14 roster players right now but he's just signed until Wednesday and we can sign him to another 10 day deal when that's up. I think we will sign him to a second 10 contract since Igor seems to be using him. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get that much of a shot to make the team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The Suns can use another young talented player through the draft so I'm hoping they keep their first round pick unless an excellent trade comes along and then I would still want to protect the pick.

They will have a lot of open slots this summer so it's not like they do not have room on their roster for an early draft pick.

The Suns front office should keep an open mind about the draft especially when free agency can be used to address needs.

As I am looking at their roster, there are the nine players I can see on the roster for next season:

1. Warren
2. Ayton
3. Jackson
4. Bridges
5. Booker
6. Oubre (RFA)
7. Holmes (FA)
8. Okobo
9. Melton

*Anderson (his salary will likely be stretched)

I can see Crawford back if he wants to be on the roster next year. He seems to be a good veteran leader. I can also see Acy back as an end of the bench energy guy. Add a point guard, add another big, and they can still afford to add a rookie. If they keep their second round pick, I'd draft and stash a Euro if one falls in that range.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they have to carry 14 players also. Two-Way players do not count toward that total either. The deadline for a team to sign Two-Way contracts is the 15th of January. Of course we have both spots used but if we convert one to a normal contract that would free up another. I don't think we'll do that but who knows. Acy is satisfying the 14 roster players right now but he's just signed until Wednesday and we can sign him to another 10 day deal when that's up. I think we will sign him to a second 10 contract since Igor seems to be using him. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get that much of a shot to make the team.

I understand what you are saying but I'm basically looking at the Suns roster for next season.

They have plenty of roster space to add a first round draft pick as well as veterans.

Money could be an issue but I do not like the idea of the Suns not scouting the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see Crawford back if he wants to be on the roster next year. He seems to be a good veteran leader. I can also see Acy back as an end of the bench energy guy. Add a point guard, add another big, and they can still afford to add a rookie. If they keep their second round pick, I'd draft and stash a Euro if one falls in that range.

This is doable. There is always room for minimum type players.

It drives me crazy the Suns may not keep an open mind about the draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Where are you getting the idea that he is essentially just going to give the pick away? Just because he would much rather trade it than use it doesn't mean that he is going to trade it for nothing.
Well for starters he said he doesn’t want to trade for a pg, he wants to sign one in free agency. So he won’t be trading it for a pg. we don’t need a starting sg so he won’t be trading it for that. And we certainly don’t need wings. So he won’t be trading it for that. And with Ayton and Holmes we don’t need a center so he won’t be trading it for that. Only leaves PF. And if there’s very little market of tradable PFs then if he’s hellbent on trading the pick because we don’t need more youth it seems he’s kinda boxed himself into trading the pick for potentially a less valuable PF or I don’t know, maybe a few future picks? But that doesn’t seem like it would be of much help.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well for starters he said he doesn’t want to trade for a pg, he wants to sign one in free agency. So he won’t be trading it for a pg. we don’t need a starting sg so he won’t be trading it for that. And we certainly don’t need wings. So he won’t be trading it for that. And with Ayton and Holmes we don’t need a center so he won’t be trading it for that. Only leaves PF. And if there’s very little market of tradable PFs then if he’s hellbent on trading the pick because we don’t need more youth it seems he’s kinda boxed himself into trading the pick for potentially a less valuable PF or I don’t know, maybe a few future picks? But that doesn’t seem like it would be of much help.

That's not what he said. He said it is easier to get a free agent than it is to trade for a player. Plus, it would be REALLY stupid of him to say, "Oh yeah, we'll trade for one" even if he intends to trade for one.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was watching the Wolves and the Mavs game and Jones looked pretty good in limited minutes. Had 7 assists in 19 minutes with just one turnover. played decent defense too. On a side note, Luka dropped 29, 12, and 8 with one turnover.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's not what he said. He said it is easier to get a free agent than it is to trade for a player. Plus, it would be REALLY stupid of him to say, "Oh yeah, we'll trade for one" even if he intends to trade for one.
I agree. About as stupid as saying “we don’t need anymore youth” when you might be trying to trade a draft pick. In fact the latter is worse because you’re devaluing your asset. Clubs know you don’t want to use it so unless there are multiple teams vying for it in a bidding war they know you’d rather get $0.75 on the dollar than use it. Saying “oh yeah we’ll trade one for one” shouldn’t be news to anyone with a brain considering the state of our PG situation, no? I mean you’re not really giving away any strategy with that comment, are you?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree. About as stupid as saying “we don’t need anymore youth” when you might be trying to trade a draft pick. In fact the latter is worse because you’re devaluing your asset. Clubs know you don’t want to use it so unless there are multiple teams vying for it in a bidding war they know you’d rather get $0.75 on the dollar than use it. Saying “oh yeah we’ll trade one for one” shouldn’t be news to anyone with a brain considering the state of our PG situation, no? I mean you’re not really giving away any strategy with that comment, are you?

Fair enough.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Suns also said they didn't need more youth last offseason and even said they don't believe they'll be adding 4 rookies with their picks and what happened? We added 5 rookies, counting King. So I don't think much stock can be put in plans for the offseason at this point. Of course we don't seem to have a full scouting department right now and that leans more towards not using all of our picks but I guess we'll see what happens.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I know PG is our most pressing need but watching the games I think a starting caliber PF that can rebound, draw fouls and defend would help us win more games than an average PG like Rozier.

The difference between Melton and Rozier just doesn't seem that significant. Maybe the strategy is to grab a ho hum PG like Rozier and make a big move for a PF.

For what it's worth, we are shooting 5 less FT per game than our opponent and being out rebounded by 5. As a team we are logging only 1.5 less assists per game less than our opponent. Yes, I know there is more to a PG than assists but I found it interesting that the discrepancy was so close.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns also said they didn't need more youth last offseason and even said they don't believe they'll be adding 4 rookies with their picks and what happened? We added 5 rookies, counting King. So I don't think much stock can be put in plans for the offseason at this point. Of course we don't seem to have a full scouting department right now and that leans more towards not using all of our picks but I guess we'll see what happens.

As you point out the Suns lack of scouting knocks a hole in the idea they will be adding multiple draft picks. I'm at least hoping the Suns keep their first round pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dallas might be less likely to trade Dennis Smith Jr. if Barea is seriously injured.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Dallas might be less likely to trade Dennis Smith Jr. if Barea is seriously injured.

It was bad. He fell down, tried to get up and couldn't put any weight on it. Bad news for Dallas. Barea has been very effective leading the second unit for them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah there’s words and there are actions and the latter speaks louder, right? And while there might be stuff that the suns are doing of which we are unaware, the actions we know are (a) canned a lot of scouting staff; and (b) don’t seem to be conducting a lot scouting. Those are big differences than last season’s mere words.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know PG is our most pressing need but watching the games I think a starting caliber PF that can rebound, draw fouls and defend would help us win more games than an average PG like Rozier.

The difference between Melton and Rozier just doesn't seem that significant. Maybe the strategy is to grab a ho hum PG like Rozier and make a big move for a PF.

For what it's worth, we are shooting 5 less FT per game than our opponent and being out rebounded by 5. As a team we are logging only 1.5 less assists per game less than our opponent. Yes, I know there is more to a PG than assists but I found it interesting that the discrepancy was so close.
I’m shocked it’s only 5 less FTs. And if we are being outrebounded by 5 that’s grown considerably since last I think Stef provides some numbers which means it’s likely even greater than that recently to make the season average jump.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was bad. He fell down, tried to get up and couldn't put any weight on it. Bad news for Dallas. Barea has been very effective leading the second unit for them.

It doesn't look good for sure. I found this video.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So, who do you sit--TJ or Bridges?

I think the difference between Melton and Rozier, especially offensively, would be very significant.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except that it was McD who said that and he is no longer here. So things are completely unknown now as far as predicting what this team will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard