Kliff Kingsbury may walk away from USC

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Everyone is flipping Lynn Swann a bunch of *&^%, but he's gotta be pretty hacked off too. He's got a job to do and literally just hired the guy like two weeks ago.
Now everyone wants to grab KK away and leave him with nothing to show for it.

Meh. USC is one of those schools that would happily do this to another NCAA program. It'll trickle down. It always does in college football.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honestly Lynn Swann messed up when he decided to keep the head coach. How they continue to get top recruiting classes is quite annoying. The history of the school outweighs all I guess.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
as someone who is on record for being "all in" on Kliff -- a cautionary tale

the SF 49ers had to replace a very popular coach who had worn out his welcome in Jim Harbaugh. They went with Jim Tomsula, who very quickly showed that while a great guy, wasn't a head coach.

After the one and done, most figured the 49ers had to get things right -- and surprisingly went with Chip Kelley, unconventional offensive wizard. That also didn't go well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really not liking the way this is going for the Cards.

BA is going to get Bowles to be his DC in Tampa

Kingsbury is going to shaft them for the Jets.

McCarthy has no interest.

It just doesn't look good to me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
as someone who is on record for being "all in" on Kliff -- a cautionary tale

the SF 49ers had to replace a very popular coach who had worn out his welcome in Jim Harbaugh. They went with Jim Tomsula, who very quickly showed that while a great guy, wasn't a head coach.

After the one and done, most figured the 49ers had to get things right -- and surprisingly went with Chip Kelley, unconventional offensive wizard. That also didn't go well.

True, but Chip Kelly had already been a failure in the NFL by that point. But you are right, there is numerous examples of college coaches who fail spectacularly. I would still rather swing for the fences than sign up someone like Caldwell who is boring and mediocre in every way.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
True, but Chip Kelly had already been a failure in the NFL by that point. But you are right, there is numerous examples of college coaches who fail spectacularly. I would still rather swing for the fences than sign up someone like Caldwell who is boring and mediocre in every way.

Kelly went 10-6 his first 2 seasons and then got power hungry with the roster.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kelly went 10-6 his first 2 seasons and then got power hungry with the roster.

I would argue his system was completely figured out and rendered a joke by the second season. It was clear to me at that point he was finished as a successful NFL coach unless he decided to radically change his approach - which he did not.

So yes, he did have initial success, but by the time he signed with the 9'ers, he was a failure.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I would argue his system was completely figured out and rendered a joke by the second season. It was clear to me at that point he was finished as a successful NFL coach unless he decided to radically change his approach - which he did not.

So yes, he did have initial success, but by the time he signed with the 9'ers, he was a failure.

He was too arrogant to adapt.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL Network and Ian Rappo claim K K interviews first with Jets and then Cards. Does M B have a Gulfstream G-5?

BirdDroppings

Rookie
Reaction score

There are numerous examples of NFL only coaches who have failed spectacularly too. There are also plenty of college coaches that succeeded in the NFL: Tom Coughlin, Barry Switzer, Jim Harbaugh, Dick Vermeil, Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh all coached NFL teams to the Superbowl after being college head coaches. The "college coaches can't succeed in the NFL" narrative has little basis in reality and is likely pushed to the media by NFL guys who don't want the extra competition for jobs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are numerous examples of NFL only coaches who have failed spectacularly too. There are also plenty of college coaches that succeeded in the NFL: Tom Coughlin, Barry Switzer, Jim Harbaugh, Dick Vermeil, Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh all coached NFL teams to the Superbowl after being college head coaches. The "college coaches can't succeed in the NFL" narrative has little basis in reality and is likely pushed to the media by NFL guys who don't want the extra competition for jobs.

only issue with the above is ALL of those coaches listed above had either GREAT track records in college (Jimmy Johnson, Carroll, Switzer) had built respectable programs where it seemed previously impossible to build programs (Coughlin, Harbaugh, Walsh) or took programs that should have been good and made them so (Vermeil).

Kingsbury has no accomplishments like any of those in college. That's where I think it's different and pretty risky.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards would need a strong DC if they hire Kingsbury. Bowles would be the best but he may go to Tampa if BA gets the HC job there.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
only issue with the above is ALL of those coaches listed above had either GREAT track records in college (Jimmy Johnson, Carroll, Switzer) had built respectable programs where it seemed previously impossible to build programs (Coughlin, Harbaugh, Walsh) or took programs that should have been good and made them so (Vermeil).

Kingsbury has no accomplishments like any of those in college. That's where I think it's different and pretty risky.

You aren't wrong here, but the landscape of college ball is COMPLETELY different now, especially from a recruiting standpoint. Damn near impossible to turn programs elite now.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don;t know if Kliff will be successful or not.

Remember Keim saying (After Broncos 45-10 loss) he is going to come out swinging like hell? If Kilff is hired, this sure fits that bill.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory...

KK needs a veteran HC/DC

Greg Schiano - C - Player
Ohio State coach Ryan Day announced DC Greg Schiano is leaving the school to pursue a job in the NFL.

Schiano, 52, has been at OSU for the last three seasons and was rumored to be leaving the school around this time last year for a job with the Patriots. He decided to stay but is now aiming to make the leap back to the pros after being fired as the Bucs' head coach in 2013. Schiano hasn't been publicly linked to any NFL gigs as of yet, but he must have something up his sleeve.

**also adding Nick Bosa?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard