Tie-Breakers for First Draft Pick

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Currently at 3-12, the Cardinals would get the overall #1 pick with a loss next week. The Raiders have clinched the better strength of schedule (SOS) giving us the higher pick.

However, should we beat Seattle, this is how I see the other possible ties.

SF: We have clinched the better SOS over SF giving the 49ers the higher pick.

NYJ: This one gets messy. I have not rechecked my math. Factoring the forced wins in our 11 non-common games, we have 90 wins, the Jets have 90.5 wins. However, the Jets have only one more potential win: CLE over BAL. We have five more potential wins, counting a few games still left this week:

SEA over KC (week 16)
OAK over DEN (week 16)
LAC over DEN
ATL over TB
WSH over PHI

If we get any two (or one, with BAL over CLE) it looks like it would clinch the SOS over the Jets and give them the higher pick.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Currently at 3-12, the Cardinals would get the overall #1 pick with a loss next week. The Raiders have clinched the better strength of schedule (SOS) giving us the higher pick.

However, should we beat Seattle, this is how I see the other possible ties.

SF: We have clinched the better SOS over SF giving the 49ers the higher pick.

NYJ: This one gets messy. I have not rechecked my math. Factoring the forced wins in our 11 non-common games, we have 90 wins, the Jets have 90.5 wins. However, the Jets have only one more potential win: CLE over BAL. We have five more potential wins, counting a few games still left this week:

SEA over KC (week 16)
OAK over DEN (week 16)
LAC over DEN
ATL over TB
WSH over PHI

If we get any two (or one, with BAL over CLE) it looks like it would clinch the SOS over the Jets and give them the higher pick.

All this being said, I will vomit all over myself if we win next week:barf:

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
There is no way they win next week in a must win game for Seattle at home. They will lose by over 20.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is no way they win next week in a must win game for Seattle at home. They will lose by over 20.
If seattle wins today, it isn't a must win for seattle, just seeding implications, but with the win today they clinch the playoff spot.

So now we have to hope that KC wins today than Seattle has to play for something next week.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
If seattle wins today, it isn't a must win for seattle, just seeding implications, but with the win today they clinch the playoff spot.

So now we have to hope that KC wins today than Seattle has to play for something next week.
Seattles backs up will almost certainly have enough to beat the cardinals too so not worried about AZ winning next week at all. This offense would struggle to score against a 4th game of the preseason level defense.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Seattles backs up will almost certainly have enough to beat the cardinals too so not worried about AZ winning next week at all. This offense would struggle to score against a 4th game of the preseason level defense.

And we all know that Seattle is an easy place to play...

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We win next week in Seattle? Lol :biglaugh:

BA isn’t on this staff & have you watched this team play this year? Wilks is dead man walking & we have the worst run defense in the NFL. If there’s ever a lock in the history of sports, it’s our Arizona Cardinals get the #1 pick of the NFL draft.

So sad. Hell Seattle May run for 450 next week being #1 in running the rock.

Buckybird

Reaction score
If Seattle wins tonight, is there any significance for them to beat us next week??
What incentive do any of the Cardinals have to even show up other than Larry?

Again the Hawks are a running team & that’s Big Reds #1 weakness & once it starts it’s a freaking crusher for this team.

It’s going to be ugly.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Be careful. You might offend someone. According to some, its impermissible to start talking about the number one pick until April

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Reading is fundamental, any of those things are applicable. Nothing of the sort was said.
You must be registered for see images attach

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

IMO, the only way the Cards win next week, is if the Seahawks lose tonight and are out of the playoffs...they would probably rest some starters, in that scenario. If Seattle is still playing for playoffs, the Cards will get their doors blown off.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What incentive do any of the Cardinals have to even show up other than Larry?

Again the Hawks are a running team & that’s Big Reds #1 weakness & once it starts it’s a freaking crusher for this team.

It’s going to be ugly.

Cmon Bucky, you’ve been around long enough to have seen the Cardinals win meaningless games in the past. As bad as this franchise has been in the last 55 years, I have never seen them get the 1st pick. No matter how much of a mismatch it may appear to be, if Seattle plays their 3rd string, we could possibly win. If we can’t win Super Bowls, then at least I want to have the #1 pick in the draft.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Cmon Bucky, you’ve been around long enough to have seen the Cardinals win meaningless games in the past. As bad as this franchise has been in the last 55 years, I have never seen them get the 1st pick. No matter how much of a mismatch it may appear to be, if Seattle plays their 3rd string, we could possibly win. If we can’t win Super Bowls, then at least I want to have the #1 pick in the draft.
I know the history, but the Hawks are going to need a W to be playoff bound & we can’t beat the 6A state champs in Texas. Plus we’re going to get the #1 pick & likely stuck with it given there’s no bonafide NFL star QB that’s hyped to be great. If we do indeed trade down we won’t get the value other teams have imo.

There’s zero chance we win, watch.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know the history, but the Hawks are going to need a W to be playoff bound & we can’t beat the 6A state champs in Texas. Plus we’re going to get the #1 pick & likely stuck with it given there’s no bonafide NFL star QB that’s hyped to be great. If we do indeed trade down we won’t get the value other teams have imo.

If the Seahawks win tonight, I don’t think they need a win next week. Maybe I’m wrong about that? My fear is that if the Hawks don’t need to win, they’ll lay down for us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Tell that to the Vikings, who just needed to beat the team currently holding the #1 overall pick to get into the playoffs. Something in this post whispers something about ignoring history and being doomed to repeat it.

Buckybird

Reaction score
If the Seahawks win tonight, I don’t think they need a win next week. Maybe I’m wrong about that? My fear is that if the Hawks don’t need to win, they’ll lay down for us.
You could be right but the bottom line is the Cards can’t score & cant keep other teams from scoring bunches.

I don’t care who the Hawks roll out there we’re not winning in Seattle next week.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Tell that to the Vikings, who just needed to beat the team currently holding the #1 overall pick to get into the playoffs. Something in this post whispers something about ignoring history and being doomed to repeat it.
And yet this Cards team is worse than that one. Lol

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet this Cards team is worse than that one. Lol

Not by much. That was also a horrible team. Go back & check out some of the scores we lost by. As bad as McGinnis was, he was a football brain trust compared to Wilks.