Goldschmidt traded to Cards

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hopefully these players play well. However, looking at the trade now, I'd rather have Goldy one more year even if he walks and we get nothing.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
As much as I loved Goldy..Renolds...Gonzo...All where on the decline when they left the franchise. Goldy the past two years has only had 1/2 of good seasons. I am ok with what we got back end of the rotation guy, a possible starting Catcher and two question marks. Goldy is not going to get back much, especially with onluone year left.

Yes, this team imploded the past two years and the payroll was way out of wack. Dodgers are going to out spend like crazy this year and put some major distance between us and them.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As much as I loved Goldy..Renolds...Gonzo...All where on the decline when they left the franchise. Goldy the past two years has only had 1/2 of good seasons. I am ok with what we got back end of the rotation guy, a possible starting Catcher and two question marks. Goldy is not going to get back much, especially with onluone year left.

Yes, this team imploded the past two years and the payroll was way out of wack. Dodgers are going to out spend like crazy this year and put some major distance between us and them.

What in God's name makes you think Carson Kelly is a possible starting catcher?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I said it was never an option. Not sure what your point is here?? Why did you tag me?
In the Goldy peak thread you seemed confident that Goldy would resign and would be a reasonable deal

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
3 ham & eggers plus a draft pick for Goldy? Are these idiots out of their freaking minds??!!

If they wanted a "rebuild", they should have offloaded Greinke's outrageous contract last year, and signed JD Martinez, who actually WANTED to be here and eventually wound up signing a very reasonable contract - then went out and delivered and helped bring a championship home in his first year in Boston. They could have also extended Goldy at the time. His team-friendly current contract makes me think he wouldn't break the bank on the next go-round - he's not the type of guy who walks in and pounds on the GM's desk and demands some sort of "make-up" contract for outplaying his last one. Just not who he is.

This is a real head-scratcher. Goldy was the face of the franchise, as much as Larry Fitz has been for the Cards, and absolutely adored by the fans, and for good reasons, both baseball-related and just as a great guy and role model, and ambassador for the city & the sport. Now, he's gone, and there's nobody on the roster who remotely fits that description.

Dark, dark day in Phoenix sports history. You know it's not going well when the only local pro team not looking like a full-on disaster is ... the Coyotes.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What in God's name makes you think Carson Kelly is a possible starting catcher?

+1

This guy's hitting numbers make Tuffy Gosewisch look like Johnny Bench in his prime. The LAST thing the Dbags need is another "defensive" catcher who can't bat his weight. Especially as part of a return package for Goldy.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
They announced they are negotiating. It's not done yet.

Talk out here is that this time it’s essentially a done deal. The last time they announced they had a stadium solution, it blew up in their face. This time, the thought is they’ve been a bit more methodical and they wouldn’t have announced if they weren’t confidence in it. Oakland is also a little more willing to work with him, having lost the Raiders and Warriors.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they wanted a "rebuild", they should have offloaded Greinke's outrageous contract last year, and signed JD Martinez, who actually WANTED to be here and eventually wound up signing a very reasonable contract - then went out and delivered and helped bring a championship home in his first year in Boston. They could have also extended Goldy at the time. His team-friendly current contract makes me think he wouldn't break the bank on the next go-round - he's not the type of guy who walks in and pounds on the GM's desk and demands some sort of "make-up" contract for outplaying his last one. Just not who he is.

This line of thinking borders on the fairy tale. He and his agent know this contact will be the last one of significance so they will go big...regardless of what type of person Goldy is. He owes it to himself to break the bank. He owes it to his family. He owes it to the union (whether you like it or not).

Did you really want the Dbacks to back up the armored truck for a guy who is already showing signs that he is losing his dominance? And bury the team in a horrid contact that cripples them for years because of their market?

Face it the Dbacks took a risk by waiting one year too long and it backfired and now they are left holding the bag.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
3 ham & eggers plus a draft pick for Goldy? Are these idiots out of their freaking minds??!!

This is a real head-scratcher. Goldy was the face of the franchise, as much as Larry Fitz has been for the Cards, and absolutely adored by the fans, and for good reasons, both baseball-related and just as a great guy and role model, and ambassador for the city & the sport. Now, he's gone, and there's nobody on the roster who remotely fits that description.

Dark, dark day in Phoenix sports history. You know it's not going well when the only local pro team not looking like a full-on disaster is ... the Coyotes.
They couldn't trade Geinke, they tried.

On a side note, Washington is mortgaging their future this off season. Do they dare shell out 35-40m /5 now for Harper?!

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He has already proved to be about as undependable as they come.

Yet most national media pundits are lauding the trade for both teams. You seem like you'd be fun at parties.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In the Goldy peak thread you seemed confident that Goldy would resign and would be a reasonable deal

From how long ago?? Yes, I always wished that somehow, Goldy would remain. However, once it became clear that ownership was 100% committed to a drastic payroll cut, keeping Goldy was never gonna be a realistic option. Therefore, Hazen had no other option but to trade him now.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This line of thinking borders on the fairy tale. He and his agent know this contact will be the last one of significance so they will go big...regardless of what type of person Goldy is. He owes it to himself to break the bank. He owes it to his family. He owes it to the union (whether you like it or not).

Did you really want the Dbacks to back up the armored truck for a guy who is already showing signs that he is losing his dominance? And bury the team in a horrid contact that cripples them for years because of their market?

Face it the Dbacks took a risk by waiting one year too long and it backfired and now they are left holding the bag.
[emoji817]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Here's what you should be saying to the Cards fans...it's a little ironic that the Cards had Pujols on a low contract for years, and when he was 31ish, they traded him because they saw the decline coming and didn't want to pay for it. With Goldy they just went against what they historically do.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
IMO this trade solidifies Phoenix as the worst sports city in America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Back end of the rotation is set. Now we just need a bullpen, players who can hit the ball, and the front end of a rotation. Good thing we have no financial restrictions!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Puj
Here's what you should be saying to the Cards fans...it's a little ironic that the Cards had Pujols on a low contract for years, and when he was 31ish, they traded him because they saw the decline coming and didn't want to pay for it. With Goldy they just went against what they historically do.

Pujols was a free agent. The Cardinals offered him a 5 year contract but the Angels gave him a 10 year contract with an additional 10 year "personal services" contract. He will be 39 before the season starts and still has 3 more years on the original 10 year deal. The last 7 years with the Angels have been his worst stats as a player. The Angels got screwed on that deal. I would have loved for him to retire a Cardinal but we can't compete (and shouldn't) with that sort of deal.

Goldschmidt has 1 year left and will also be looking for his last big pay day. The D-backs got something for him, where the Cardinals did not get anything for Pujols.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson