Goldschmidt traded to Cards

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was inevitable but still a sad day for Diamondback fans.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The St. Louis Cardinals have acquired slugger Paul Goldschmidt from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for right-handed pitcher Luke Weaver, catcher Carson Kelly, infielder Andrew Young, it was announced Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
if you're feeling sad about this trade, wait a few days to look at the stats of the players the dbacks got back.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sad to see Goldy go. Know nothing about the guys in return but none look impressive at first blush. Anyone with knowledge on them?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giving away potentially the franchise’s first homegrown HoF member for a trash return. Great job Kendrick/Hazen, good luck putting those negotiations skills to work in strongarming the city for more stadium cash.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
One of these days this city will be blessed with a competent sports franchise.

They're competent enough... ownership just didn't want to dig deep and expand the payroll. Which, given what it would've taken to put this team in position to be a serious championship contender, I can't say I their decision doesn't make sense.
Ownership and the Front Office are committed to a rebuild, which is never fun for fans. But, it should be interesting to see Hazen in full action now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kelly is garbage. Like worse than Alex Avila garbage. Weaver is another Zack Godley at best. Young is barely a Top 30 prospect in the Cardinals system. This is a horrendous trade.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Weaver once looked like a frontline starter but bombed last year. He has potential. He might be a good get for you guys.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dbacks had a chance to keep a generational TEAM player. One that inspires kids to follow the team. One that builds legions of fans for decades. But no, Hazen and Kendrick blow it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next they are going to move to the SRIC and write off the westside fan base.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Dbacks had a chance to keep a generational TEAM player. One that inspires kids to follow the team. One that builds legions of fans for decades. But no, Hazen and Kendrick blow it.

I would guess that if the decision were solely Hazen's, and if he had no financial limitations, he would've kept Goldy. I think he's merely carrying out the orders and creating a path forward. The only option, given ownership's desire to dramatically reduce payroll, was to sell Goldy for young, unproven players. There was no other option. So now we get to see how good Hazen is... and we certainly can't make that assessment today.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would guess that if the decision were solely Hazen's, and if he had no financial limitations, he would've kept Goldy. I think he's merely carrying out the orders and creating a path forward. The only option, given ownership's desire to dramatically reduce payroll, was to sell Goldy for young, unproven players. There was no other option. So now we get to see how good Hazen is... and we certainly can't make that assessment today.

But they're not all that young, and they have proved to be garbage at the Major League level (and even mediocre at the AAA level).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the kind of deal that is supposed to revitalize the farm system... these dudes are all in their mid-20s and don't even look like starting caliber players?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
This is the kind of deal that is supposed to revitalize the farm system... these dudes are all in their mid-20s and don't even look like starting caliber players?

The DBacks have a lot of talent at the low-mid levels of the minors that are a couple years away. They needed talent at the major league level or high minor league levels to fill in the gap.

Weaver will slot into the rotation and is only 25.

Kelly is their top pitching prospect.

Young is fringy.

The Comp B pick has value.

Overall, good return all things considered.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Bingo. Hazen appears to be doing his best Ryan McDonough impersonation here...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The DBacks have a lot of talent at the low-mid levels of the minors that are a couple years away. They needed talent at the major league level or high minor league levels to fill in the gap.

Weaver will slot into the rotation and is only 25.

Kelly is their top pitching prospect.

Young is fringy.

The Comp B pick has value.

Overall, good return all things considered.

Alex Reyes is their top pitching prospect.

Carson Kelly is a AAAA catcher (who was just confirmed on KTAR as being only the third best catching prospect in the Cardinals organization...basically their version of John Ryan Murphy):

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kellyca02.shtml

As I said before, Weaver's ceiling is Zach Godley, and he has a negative WAR, even with his so-called promising season in 2017, which was still only mediocre (and at 25 years old, he has already been playing professional baseball for 5 seasons, so this is pretty much we are going to get with him):

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/weavelu01.shtml

Young is indeed fringy.

The Comp B pick is something we would have received had Goldy just walked after the 2019 season.

This trade is worthless to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson