Goldschmidt traded to Cards

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

STL Cardinal fan.

I think this is a fair assessment.

I am a casual fan (not into all the metrics) but Weaver is a very solid young pitcher that strikes out a lot of batters. He faded a bit this year but tons of potential and solid starter for years to come (and under team control).

Kelly was supposed to be the heir apparent to Molina but Kelly hasn't hit the ball and Yadi isn't retiring yet. He has been one of our top prospects but his bat has been very disappointing (batting less than .200 in his MLB career). He is an elite defensive player and if he can get his swing back...you are looking at a solid starter for the next 10 years.

I don't know anything about Young.

Feel bad for the D-Back fans...I am sure it feels very similar to when we lost Pujols.

Hope the trade works out for both teams.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I hope the Coyotes run a lot of ads on tv tonight.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I won’t be renewing MLB At Bat next year if this is the approach the FO is taking.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is a cute tweet,

Scherzer: Landed us Ian Kennedy and Daniel Hudson, without those, we don't win in 2011. Scherzer was an injury risk, and had he turned out like he did with the Tigers for the Dbacks he'd be gone regardless.

Upton trade was at worst a wash for the Dbacks, likely a win

Bauer? He wasn't going to change in Arizona, best to move on. Plus he yielded Robbie Ray. If Ray can regain 2017 form, at worst a push trade.

We lost both trades with Atlanta, no doubt.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expect a lot more empty seats next season. Meh. I don't see how this can have a positive spin at all.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Expect a lot more empty seats next season. Meh. I don't see how this can have a positive spin at all.
True, but most of the empty seats were because of lack of local support. The opposing fans bought tickets sold by STHs They were always available for a price.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but most of the empty seats were because of lack of local support. The opposing fans bought tickets sold by STHs They were always available for a price.

We've never been great at filling the seats but I know plenty of people who were more likely to go catch a game during the past few Goldschmidt years than will be going forward to see the next batch of baby Backs. Just saying that he was a draw for casual fans that might have otherwise skipped a game altogether.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
We've never been great at filling the seats but I know plenty of people who were more likely to go catch a game during the past few Goldschmidt years than will be going forward to see the next batch of baby Backs. Just saying that he was a draw for casual fans that might have otherwise skipped a game altogether.
He was a draw and I would have kept him regardless of the cost. But it was not my money, just my preference.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a theory. I think they are going to sell the team and here is why. Portland just landed a privately financed stadium deal and there are three teams rumored at targets; A's, D-backs and the Rays. All three are in search of new stadiums and a NL team makes more sense due to the proximity to Seattle. So, Kendrick knows if he wants to sell, he needs to lower the payroll and then he can sell to the same group building the stadium. Total theory on my part, but don't be surprised to see the Portland Yetis.

https://www.portlanddiamondproject.com

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The D-backs had to trade Goldy now or lose him in a year. And, let's face it (despite having been paid less than his worth on his previous contract), we would have to pay Goldy a lot for his inevitable declining years.

He was the Face of the Franchise and will be missed. Thanks, Goldy, for giving D-backs' fans the best of your prime.

As far as the players we received in exchange, I think most of us are convinced that we could, and should, have done better. But if we wind up with one dependable starting Pitcher out of the deal, it will have worked out OK. Or will it be another Shelby Miller? Time will tell.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The D-backs had to trade Goldy now or lose him in a year. And, let's face it (despite having been paid less than his worth on his previous contract), we would have to pay Goldy a lot for his inevitable declining years.

He was the Face of the Franchise and will be missed. Thanks, Goldy, for giving D-backs' fans the best of your prime.

As far as the players we received in exchange, I think most of us are convinced that we could, and should, have done better. But if we wind up with one dependable starting Pitcher out of the deal, it will have worked out OK. Or will it be another Shelby Miller? Time will tell.

This is the most reasonable take in this whole thread.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Are they planning on converting the terrible-hitting catcher into a pitcher?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Only took 5 pages before someone brought up he was only going to be in AZ one more year. I don't pretend to know the players they got but not sure what everyone was expecting.

Bummer they traded him but it was inevitable he would be gone.

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I have a theory. I think they are going to sell the team and here is why. Portland just landed a privately financed stadium deal and there are three teams rumored at targets; A's, D-backs and the Rays. All three are in search of new stadiums and a NL team makes more sense due to the proximity to Seattle. So, Kendrick knows if he wants to sell, he needs to lower the payroll and then he can sell to the same group building the stadium. Total theory on my part, but don't be surprised to see the Portland Yetis.

https://www.portlanddiamondproject.com

A’s just announced a new waterfront stadium in Oakland last week.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if you're feeling sad about this trade, wait a few days to look at the stats of the players the dbacks got back.

Ken Rosenthal per the Twits

"A rival excecs reaction on return for Godly, "a shitload, Five years of control on Weaver, six on Kelly, plus a pick in the 70 to 75 range, young fringy." Kelly was blocked by Yadi...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ken Rosenthal per the Twits

"A rival excecs reaction on return for Godly, "a shitload, Five years of control on Weaver, six on Kelly, plus a pick in the 70 to 75 range, young fringy." Kelly was blocked by Yadi...

What good is control if what you're controlling is hot garbage?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
These are kids in their 20's, I'll trust a baseball exec's opinion over a random fan.

Mid 20s, with 5-6 years of pro experience and horrific (Kelly) and mediocre (Weaver) numbers in the majors. Not a matter of opinion.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A’s just announced a new waterfront stadium in Oakland last week.

They announced they are negotiating. It's not done yet.

On Wednesday, the A’s plan to announce that they will formally begin a yearlong, state environmental review of the Howard Terminal proposal.

In the meantime, the team is seven months into its exclusive talks with the Port of Oakland for either a lease or purchase option on the property, which is now used largely for storage. The team has an April deadline to strike a deal or lose a $100,000 deposit.

“This is really going to be an important six months as we get into the critical negotiations,” Kaval said

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson