Khalil Mack on the block?

Rams1Fan

Rookie
Reaction score
Whatever the case, the Cards Front Office and the Raiders have been frequent trade partners in a lot of aspects but we do not have what it would take (or rather willing and I sure the hell would not trade Peterson while he can still run) to do any deal but I would not be shocked if the Niners where part of a scenario

Niners have three young 1st round DLs in Thomas, Buckner and Armstead. If they got Mack they would have to package one of then back to Raiders and I doubt Buckner would be in the discussion.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Niners have three young 1st round DLs in Thomas, Buckner and Armstead. If they got Mack they would have to package one of then back to Raiders and I doubt Buckner would be in the discussion.

You have a point and my thought was Mack is a proven commodity. What's strange is that the NFL is seldom creative in trades where in say basketball deals get done combining the interest of multiple teams

Rams1Fan

Rookie
Reaction score
You have a point and my thought was Mack is a proven commodity. What's strange is that the NFL is seldom creative in trades where in say basketball deals get done combining the interest of multiple teams

I agree. If I'm the 49ers I make Armstead part of the deal (basically give up on him) to secure Mack. Not sure the 49ers think the same way. But like you say Mack is a proven sack machine. Something the 49ers do not have right now.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Aaron Donald, and was a believer since he was at Pitt. That being said, edge rushers are still more valuable than interior rushers, even if the gap is much smaller than it used to be. It is based on how difficult it is to get extra help on that player. Edge players are more difficult to double than interior players, and to do so, you have to use a player with weaker blocking skills. Due to that, while Donald may be the best interior defensive lineman in football, I can't say he is "better" than Chandler Jones, Khalil Mack and/or Von Miller as their positions are technically more valuable.
I’m a Cap Capi man myself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I agree. If I'm the 49ers I make Armstead part of the deal (basically give up on him) to secure Mack. Not sure the 49ers think the same way. But like you say Mack is a proven sack machine. Something the 49ers do not have right now.

We also cannot forget the Redskins who have a history of doing some exclamation moves when having some cap space... only mentioning teams in the NFC because at least for me I would not want to trade a guy within my own conference and have to face him

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's interesting. I think that interior rushers are actually MORE valuable, because they make everyone around them better. There are fewer impact interior rushers than there are edge rushers. I think a FOOTBAW GUY would tell you that he'd rather have an elite DT than an elite edge rusher. They just are harder to build a defense around somehow — I think it's because they have to give high effort on every down.
Yea, I’m taking AD over Chandler, Mack, Von, or any other edge-rusher in a heartbeat.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Every team would make a big play for him. Gotta be in the front of the line if you want a chance. We could play up the fact that we're expected to have a top five or six pick next year as extra value for the selections (I personally don't think we're going to suck at all, but you know...)

That would be it for us though. Couldn't afford much else for years to come, as DJ is gonna get a huge deal here soon also and our picks will be less valuable after this year.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I stand by it.

DPOY paired with the reigning sack leader? And I think he is younger. Make it so!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, let's trade a guy who's having a having a Hall of Fame career and spend the next 5 drafts trying to find his replacement.

And Mack plays the same side as Chandler.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Lol and our year would go down in flames with a bunch of castoff CBs

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Because the 5 to 6 wins we are already going to have will make us a super bowl contender?

Wilks and Holcomb have already proven that they don't need a premier CB to succeed in their system. That money could get funneled to Mack and we could immediately have the best pass rush in the league.

I love me some Pat. I really do. But Mack is a DPOY. Is a year younger. And plays a more important position on the field (when you look objectively between pass rush and CB).

You just look like a loyal homer if you can't, at the very least, acknowledge that this is a valid point.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yea, I’m taking AD over Chandler, Mack, Von, or any other edge-rusher in a heartbeat.

Such a good statement here.

I mean, they are all good in their own ways.

Von Miller is kind of a one trick pony, but seriously, if the trick is as good as his is, who cares. His first step, balance, and quickness are so beyond ridiculous, that it really doesn't matter what his size is. He is ALMOST playing football without anyone in front of him.

Chandler Jones - We see him every game, and I think it is best to describe him as your prototypical DE for 2018. Lean and long, but strong, big but quick. Smart, yet good instincts. When Jones is on his game, he is a nightmare.

Mack - See my previous post.

Then there is Aaron Donald, a guy that when he came out in the draft, I said "we could put him at OLBer", and people said he was "too big". It doesn't matter with Donald, he can play anywhere in the front seven, IMHO. His first step is only behind Von Miller, and not by much, he is stronger than Mack, and I believe his football knowledge is better than anyone else listed here. He is that player, when you watch him, that makes the game look to easy.

For comparison's sake, I will bring in a hockey reference. Calgary Flames has this young phenom, named Johnny Gaudreau (aka Johnny Hockey), and while he is not the best player in the league, his skating abilities are RIDICULOUS. Point being, there are multiple clips of him FLYING do the ice, and he just stops on a dime, and that is not even hyperbole here, right at the edge of the net, flips the puck in, and GOAL! Looks SO EASY. You ask yourself, well why can't my guy on my team do that? Because it AIN'T THAT EASY. He just makes it look that way.

Aaron Donald makes football look easy. He sheds blocks like he is playing against toddlers, and again, his 1st step, for his size, is unbelievable.

Look at his 2018, Top 100 highlights, and there is a play against the Giants, where he literally at the snap of that ball, just goes right by the guard. Guy isn't even out of his stance, and Donald is past his hip, and on his way to the backfield.

You just watch it, and wonder, "Why can't my guy do that?" Because it defies football logic, that is why. LOL.

Dare I say it, when all is said and done, Aaron Donald could be looked as held in as high regard as Reggie White, a player that I put in my top 3, even maybe my top 2, even maybe best player of all time to step on a football field.

Guy is a modern day phenom.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the 5 to 6 wins we are already going to have will make us a super bowl contender?

Wilks and Holcomb have already proven that they don't need a premier CB to succeed in their system. That money could get funneled to Mack and we could immediately have the best pass rush in the league.

I love me some Pat. I really do. But Mack is a DPOY. Is a year younger. And plays a more important position on the field (when you look objectively between pass rush and CB).

You just look like a loyal homer if you can't, at the very least, acknowledge that this is a valid point.

Damn, I guess I should just take this season off since we have no chance of any success.

Sure, pass rusher could be seen as more important but we have an elite pass rusher. Seems silly to decimate CB to overload olb. There are other ways.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Such a good statement here.

I mean, they are all good in their own ways.

Von Miller is kind of a one trick pony, but seriously, if the trick is as good as his is, who cares. His first step, balance, and quickness are so beyond ridiculous, that it really doesn't matter what his size is. He is ALMOST playing football without anyone in front of him.

Chandler Jones - We see him every game, and I think it is best to describe him as your prototypical DE for 2018. Lean and long, but strong, big but quick. Smart, yet good instincts. When Jones is on his game, he is a nightmare.

Mack - See my previous post.

Then there is Aaron Donald, a guy that when he came out in the draft, I said "we could put him at OLBer", and people said he was "too big". It doesn't matter with Donald, he can play anywhere in the front seven, IMHO. His first step is only behind Von Miller, and not by much, he is stronger than Mack, and I believe his football knowledge is better than anyone else listed here. He is that player, when you watch him, that makes the game look to easy.

For comparison's sake, I will bring in a hockey reference. Calgary Flames has this young phenom, named Johnny Gaudreau (aka Johnny Hockey), and while he is not the best player in the league, his skating abilities are RIDICULOUS. Point being, there are multiple clips of him FLYING do the ice, and he just stops on a dime, and that is not even hyperbole here, right at the edge of the net, flips the puck in, and GOAL! Looks SO EASY. You ask yourself, well why can't my guy on my team do that? Because it AIN'T THAT EASY. He just makes it look that way.

Aaron Donald makes football look easy. He sheds blocks like he is playing against toddlers, and again, his 1st step, for his size, is unbelievable.

Look at his 2018, Top 100 highlights, and there is a play against the Giants, where he literally at the snap of that ball, just goes right by the guard. Guy isn't even out of his stance, and Donald is past his hip, and on his way to the backfield.

You just watch it, and wonder, "Why can't my guy do that?" Because it defies football logic, that is why. LOL.

Dare I say it, when all is said and done, Aaron Donald could be looked as held in as high regard as Reggie White, a player that I put in my top 3, even maybe my top 2, even maybe best player of all time to step on a football field.

Guy is a modern day phenom.

It's a little early for this. I'm interested to see how Chandler Jones responds to being a little closer to the offensive lineman.

The prototypical DE for a 4-3 is Julius Peppers, who was a generational talent, first-ballot Hall of Famer and still somehow underrated. Great size, great straight-line speed, great strength, fantastic flexibility, and strong hands.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It's a little early for this. I'm interested to see how Chandler Jones responds to being a little closer to the offensive lineman.

The prototypical DE for a 4-3 is Julius Peppers, who was a generational talent, first-ballot Hall of Famer and still somehow underrated. Great size, great straight-line speed, great strength, fantastic flexibility, and strong hands.

All good points.

The thing with Jones is he is not as strong as most I listed, to be fair to Peppers, I was too much of a homer to really look in on him, in his prime.

But Peppers did look the part, and the fact he is still playing is ridiculous.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I would trade Patrick P for him. And probably a pick to go along with him.
Cornerback depth is one of this team's biggest concerns. Take PP21 off the team, who's arguably the best in the NFL at his position, and you likely have a historically awful secondary. Like, Tommy Knight-type awful.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Is peppers still playing? 15 years in the league at DLine? he might be the best defensive player of all time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's interesting. I think that interior rushers are actually MORE valuable, because they make everyone around them better. There are fewer impact interior rushers than there are edge rushers. I think a FOOTBAW GUY would tell you that he'd rather have an elite DT than an elite edge rusher. They just are harder to build a defense around somehow — I think it's because they have to give high effort on every down.
It is arguable. Again, to me it is easier to pinch a 3 technique with a G/C combo vs chip a DE with a RB or TE.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk