Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I think Goldy is too good to not come back. All players have slumps. The rest of the team is coming through. Give him a chance, he has been Gold to us.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think Goldy is too good to not come back. All players have slumps. The rest of the team is coming through. Give him a chance, he has been Gold to us.
Slump is a very passive term when evaluating a ballplayer. As if his performance is happening to him and he is a bystander. It is not. And he is not.

I love what Goldie has meant to the D-backs. But the fact is that he is not the hitter he has been. I posted some time ago that the problem might be in his eyesight or eye/hand coordination. He may have simply reached his pinnacle earlier than we expected.

That being the case, I do not think he should be considered for a big money long term contract. The fact that the D-backs signed him on the cheap and he accepted it should not enter into the equation going forward. He accepted it.

We are going through that now with Grienke. A big contract and skills declining. And look at the ridiculous contract given to Yasmani Tomas. It is not just about the player. It affects what can be spent on signing other players. And we have a few coming up soon.

You're right. He has been Gold to us. But a new contract, and whether one should be offered, is about the present and future rather than the past. It should be a business decision.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't know if he's past his prime but when Lamb and Souza come back he might need to move down to 6 or 7 in the order.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You guys are really overreacting. People thought Joey Votto was washed up and he is raking again this season. These types of players don't grow on trees. If we lose Goldy, we lose everything he brings. Doubtful we'd remain a playoff team subbing in Walker.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys are really overreacting. People thought Joey Votto was washed up and he is raking again this season.

This post only makes sense in the year 2015.

These types of players don't grow on trees.

Who called him fungible? Sounds like a straw man argument to me.

If we lose Goldy, we lose everything he brings. Doubtful we'd remain a playoff team subbing in Walker.

Again, arguing specifically against whom here? Who's calling for him to be benched or traded?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Last year he was struggling early on and we were having the same discussions. He finished 3rd in MVP voting and had his second highest OPS of his career. I didn't analyze any stats but I imagine getting JDM helped a lot. My guess is he will heat up once Lamb and Souza come back no matter where he is in the order.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be very honest disregarding slump, ARZ is going to have to make some big payroll decisions. Brass tacks, they can not afford Pollock, Goldy, Ray & Corbin with Greinke. If ARZ can get a nice haul which includes a ML bat (shame Pavin Smith looks years away) then I would consider trading Goldy and keeping Pollock but CF is more of a premium position. I would also focus on retaining Corbin even if it means possibly dealing Ray who looks to be regressing to his pre 2017 form. If ARZ can get out from under that $34M albatross of a contract that would make things a lot easier.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year he was struggling early on and we were having the same discussions. He finished 3rd in MVP voting and had his second highest OPS of his career. I didn't analyze any stats but I imagine getting JDM helped a lot. My guess is he will heat up once Lamb and Souza come back no matter where he is in the order.

He has the hottest hitter in baseball hitting behind him. He struggled more after JD came on board.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He has the hottest hitter in baseball hitting behind him. He struggled more after JD came on board.

He still finished the year with an OPS of .966 and 3rd in MVP voting. I think you still have to wait and see if he gets it going. He's been OK just not MVP big money good.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He looks horrible but he was on a roll for several games. His avg went from .150 to .260 in a week?

Now he”s wavin at crap again. Weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If his name wasn't Goldschmidt he'd be out of the lineup

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If his name wasn't Goldschmidt he'd be out of the lineup

That's because we know that Goldschmidt will figure it out. He's earned the benefit of the doubt. A jabroni like Avila has not.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's because we know that Goldschmidt will figure it out. He's earned the benefit of the doubt. A jabroni like Avila has not.
I'm not talking about benching Goldy.

We're talking about not offering a long term contract, with money to make up for the comparatively low pay he received on the last one. That's the issue!

And by saying that you know that Goldy will figure it out, you're saying it's mental. How can you overlook that he is getting older and it is physical?

The title of this thread is, "Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?". As Steve has been saying on the air, Goldy is having difficulty hitting fast balls. I have been watching him squint at the plate for the past two seasons.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
We're not talking about benching Goldy.

We're talking about not offering a long term contract, with money to make up for the comparatively low pay he received on the last one. That's the issue!

And by saying that you know that Goldy will figure it out, you're saying it's mental. How can you overlook that he is getting older and it is physical?

The title of this thread is, "Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?". As Steve has been saying on the air, Goldy is having difficulty hitting fast balls. I have been watching him squint at the plate for the past two seasons.

But Jon said if he wasn't named Goldschmidt, he'd be out of the lineup, so I guess there's an implication that benching is one of the topics in this thread.

I am saying it's 100% mental. I'm also saying that this looks like a typical slump. He's getting impatient and falling behind on counts more often than usual. I've never seen him have this kind of body language ever. That does not mean that he's "past his prime."

Additionally, he's 30. He's not an NFL running back. MLB players don't typically deteriorate at 30. He probably has a few more years of productivity before he declines. He's still worth a pricey long-term deal, and I think come July, he'll have earned it.

Keep the faith. He'll be fine.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But Jon said if he wasn't named Goldschmidt, he'd be out of the lineup, so I guess there's an implication that benching is one of the topics in this thread.

I am saying it's 100% mental. I'm also saying that this looks like a typical slump. He's getting impatient and falling behind on counts more often than usual. I've never seen him have this kind of body language ever. That does not mean that he's "past his prime."

Additionally, he's 30. He's not an NFL running back. MLB players don't typically deteriorate at 30. He probably has a few more years of productivity before he declines. He's still worth a pricey long-term deal, and I think come July, he'll have earned it.

How I'd like to believe that. I hope you're right. Time will tell.

As I added to my post (above), I have been watching Goldy squint at bat for the past two seasons.

If they problem is his eyes (or eye/hand coordination), has he had it checked? And, if so, what was the conclusion?

Generalizing about running backs and his age isn't being proactive.

TJ

Reaction score
How I'd like to believe that. I hope you're right. Time will tell.

As I added to my post (above), I have been watching Goldy squint at bat for the past two seasons.

If they problem is his eyes (or eye/hand coordination), has he had it checked? And, if so, what was the conclusion?

Generalizing about running backs and his age isn't being proactive.
Squinting? I have a guy who could help.

You must be registered for see images

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Paul Goldschmidt currently has a strikeout rate of 31.7 percent, which is odd.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If his name wasn't Goldschmidt, nobody would be complaining about his current production. He's currently 40th in all of MLB in offensive WAR and wRC+.

That being said, MLB players as a whole peak at age 27. The decline hits sooner than most realize. For some it's a slow decline and for others it's a cliff. Goldschmidt is very obviously past his ultra high prime.

His worth on a "pricey long-term deal" deep into his 30s is very debatable.

I'd rather us be StL (Pujols) than DET (Cabrera) or COL (Helton).

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Personally, I don't mind a team (us) keeping a person (Goldy) on, even after his prime, when he has done so much for the team from the beginning, and not brought any controversy about himself to the team and organization, except for "is he past his prime".

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally, I don't mind a team (us) keeping a person (Goldy) on, even after his prime, when he has done so much for the team from the beginning, and not brought any controversy about himself to the team and organization, except for "is he past his prime".

Even if it means grossly overpaying for production and hampering the teams ability to make moves in an attempt to build a winning team?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is he grossly overpaid? I thought he had taken a very friendly contract. He seems to go through a few games every year where he doesn't produce, but then has an all-star type year. I think I will wait before I start wanting to get rid of him and call him over the hill or past his prime.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he grossly overpaid? I thought he had taken a very friendly contract. He seems to go through a few games every year where he doesn't produce, but then has an all-star type year. I think I will wait before I start wanting to get rid of him and call him over the hill or past his prime.

That would be referring to a new "big Contract"

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home/Away Splits continue to be staggering:

Overall AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Home 46 7 9 4 1 0 3 16 2 20 0 0 .196 .422 .326 .748
Away 60 14 18 3 1 4 8 3 0 20 2 0 .300 .333 .583 .916