Wilks Coaching Staff Thread

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe this could be a spot to keep all of the hirings together.
Updated: 02/07/18

Head Coach - Steve Wilks

Offensive Coordinator - Mike McCoy
QB Coach - Byron Leftwich
RB Coach - Kirby Wilson???
WR Coach - Kevin Garver
TE Coach - Jason Michael
OL Coach - Ray Brown

Defensive Coordinator - Al Holcomb
DL Coach - Don Johnson
LB Coach - Larry Foote
DB Coach - Dave Merritt

Special Teams Coordinator - Jeff Rodgers

I'm sure there will be more additions along the way

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
So far I'm most impressed with the hire of Dave Merritt. The rest are are mostly his flunkies or home boys. If he brings in DeFillippo then I will be impressed.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yea, Wilks sadly won’t last long.

An absolutely atrocious hire.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Read that Kirby Wilson might be coming back

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read that Kirby Wilson might be coming back
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ching-staff-changes/lvf41cwgo48q13awjgyf06cu7

The Arizona Cardinals may be going back to their past for a new running backs coach.

A source told Sporting News that Kirby Wilson is considered a strong candidate to fill the position on the staff of new head coach Steve Wilks after having interviewed for the position.

Wilson, 56, served as Arizona’s running backs coach from 2004-06. He has held the same position with New England (1997-99), Washington (2000), Tampa Bay (2003-04), Pittsburgh (2007-13), Minnesota (2014-15) and Cleveland (2016-17).

Wilson would be reunited in Arizona with Adrian Peterson, whom he coached with the Vikings. Wilson also would get to work with David Johnson, one of the NFL’s top running backs who missed almost all of the 2017 season with an injured wrist.

Freddie Kitchens, who was Arizona’s running backs in 2017, has replaced Wilson with the same position in Cleveland along with receiving an associate head coach designation.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nick Eason of the Titans is being mentioned for D-Line.

Most excited by the hiring of Ray Brown. Finally an offensive line coach with a proven track record of developing talent.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read somewhere, Somers tweet probably, they were going to sign Nick Eason as defensive line coach

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I read somewhere, Somers tweet probably, they were going to sign Nick Eason as defensive line coach
He better light a fire under Nkemdiche's a**! If not, I hope Nick Eason can still play!

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wasn't really sure where to ask this,but any idea if we are sticking with 3-4? I know there are hybrids, but just wondering if there is a clear area of need in our front seven going forward.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Wasn't really sure where to ask this,but any idea if we are sticking with 3-4? I know there are hybrids, but just wondering if there is a clear area of need in our front seven going forward.
from what has been said it doesnt look like there will be any sweeping changes... they are likely to transfer over to a 43 by attrition as guys contracts expire and new guys are brought in

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

So far this question has been answered with a big ol' TBD (To be determined) by both fans, media, and Cardinals coaching staff.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So far this question has been answered with a big ol' TBD (To be determined) by both fans, media, and Cardinals coaching staff.

the basic consensus is hybrid,... because the truth is most teams spend the majority of their snaps in the nickle anyway....per the dc in an interview

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Maybe this could be a spot to keep all of the hirings together.
Updated: 01/30/18

Head Coach - Steve Wilks

Offensive Coordinator - Mike McCoy
QB Coach - Byron Leftwich
RB Coach - Kirby Wilson???
WR Coach - Kevin Garver
TE Coach - Steve Heiden
OL Coach - Ray Brown

Defensive Coordinator - Al Holcomb
DL Coach - Don Johnson
LB Coach - Larry Foote
DB Coach - Dave Merritt

Special Teams Coordinator - Jeff Rodgers

I'm sure there will be more additions along the way
The Defensive Line coach position is sort of up in the air right now. Don Johnson has not signed as of yet and there is talk that Nick Eason might be filling the position.

Wonder who might be the strength and conditioning coaches and interested to see if we are going to rely on just a DB coach or if we will be splitting that up to have 1 cb coach and 1 safeties coach.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
the basic consensus is hybrid,... because the truth is most teams spend the majority of their snaps in the nickle anyway....per the dc in an interview

I guess the reason people talk about "base defense" is more or less roster structure and investment.

How many defensive tackles does the team keep ?

What type of defensive end will the staff want from the front office ?

What type of linebacker will the staff want from the front office ?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess the reason people talk about "base defense" is more or less roster structure and investment.

I actually think it might be more about media coverage, Rugby, and how it is simply more manageable to the viewers when the defensive lineup is shown in either a 4-3- or 3-4-formation. Just see how many posters on this board is talking about it.

I wrote about it a month ago, so I apologize that there will without a doubt be repetitions in this post.

Several posters in this thread is right that in reality it doesn’t matter what you call the base defensive formation. It is a much to static way to look at it, and the important parts of what defensive systems a team use is dynamic stuff like if they play 1-gap or 2-gap on the defensive line, what coverage technic do the defensive backs play, what blitz packages do they run the most, and so on. I will do my best to explain it.

Every team use some variation of a hybrid defense, and often a team line up in a different front formation on first, second and third down respectively. Sometimes it’s a 4-3 front, sometimes it’s a 3-4 front, and it can also be a 5-2-, 2-3-, 2-2-, 3-3-system and other combinations of numbers. The last couple of mentioned formations are nickel or dime defenses where there are more defensive backs in the package.

The main reason coordinators use different formations on different downs is to confuse the opponent, but it’s also because the goal is to get your nickel or dime defense on the field as fast as possible. One of the reasons for wanting to get in a sub package defense is that these contains more defensive backs and smaller, faster pass rushers, and it is sort of a defensive answer to how the NFL has become a passing league. Any defense wants to make the other team as one-dimensional as possible because then the defense can play faster without thinking about either the run or the pass. That’s also one of the reasons it is still considered very important to stop the run on early downs since that increases the chance that the offense will throw the ball, either because the running game is not working or because they are facing a long down.

A somewhat traditional nickel defense is a 4-2-5 formation while a dime defense is usually a 4-1-6 formation, but when the down and distance is very hard to the offense, for example if it’s third down and 15 yards to go, it’s common to see even more defensive backs on the defense because the focus will be to cover everyone, and should it be a run or a short pass anyway, it is expected that the defensive backs can get to the ball carrier and tackle him in time.

As a reference the Patriots spend the most time in the last regular season in defensive packages other than their base defense with 80 % of all defensive snaps, and almost all the rest of the teams were not far behind. Another example is that in one of the meetings between the Vikings and the Packers, Minnesota played the entire game using only their nickel defensive package.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How many defensive tackles does the team keep ?

What type of defensive end will the staff want from the front office ?

What type of linebacker will the staff want from the front office ?
I ran into this problem today, laying out Draft Prospect Lists.

Do I keep the traditional OLB/ILB/DE headings? Or do I create a special EDGE category for pass rushing DE's and OLB's.

With a hybrid defense which could conceivably make 10 of 11 defensive players "interchangeable" on any given play, good luck with trying to slot every player into traditional 4-3 or 3-4 or nickel roles.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I actually think it might be more about media coverage, Rugby, and how it is simply more manageable to the viewers when the defensive lineup is shown in either a 4-3- or 3-4-formation. Just see how many posters on this board is talking about it.

I wrote about it a month ago, so I apologize that there will without a doubt be repetitions in this post.

Several posters in this thread is right that in reality it doesn’t matter what you call the base defensive formation. It is a much to static way to look at it, and the important parts of what defensive systems a team use is dynamic stuff like if they play 1-gap or 2-gap on the defensive line, what coverage technic do the defensive backs play, what blitz packages do they run the most, and so on. I will do my best to explain it.

Every team use some variation of a hybrid defense, and often a team line up in a different front formation on first, second and third down respectively. Sometimes it’s a 4-3 front, sometimes it’s a 3-4 front, and it can also be a 5-2-, 2-3-, 2-2-, 3-3-system and other combinations of numbers. The last couple of mentioned formations are nickel or dime defenses where there are more defensive backs in the package.

The main reason coordinators use different formations on different downs is to confuse the opponent, but it’s also because the goal is to get your nickel or dime defense on the field as fast as possible. One of the reasons for wanting to get in a sub package defense is that these contains more defensive backs and smaller, faster pass rushers, and it is sort of a defensive answer to how the NFL has become a passing league. Any defense wants to make the other team as one-dimensional as possible because then the defense can play faster without thinking about either the run or the pass. That’s also one of the reasons it is still considered very important to stop the run on early downs since that increases the chance that the offense will throw the ball, either because the running game is not working or because they are facing a long down.

A somewhat traditional nickel defense is a 4-2-5 formation while a dime defense is usually a 4-1-6 formation, but when the down and distance is very hard to the offense, for example if it’s third down and 15 yards to go, it’s common to see even more defensive backs on the defense because the focus will be to cover everyone, and should it be a run or a short pass anyway, it is expected that the defensive backs can get to the ball carrier and tackle him in time.

As a reference the Patriots spend the most time in the last regular season in defensive packages other than their base defense with 80 % of all defensive snaps, and almost all the rest of the teams were not far behind. Another example is that in one of the meetings between the Vikings and the Packers, Minnesota played the entire game using only their nickel defensive package.

1st off, great post, and one that I 100% agree with.

2nd, I think I did not explain what I meant with my original statement.

What I am getting when I talk "roster structure" is how many of a position are you going to have on the roster. There are only 53 spots, so you cannot have players for all formations and line ups. You just can't.

For the sake of explaining the situation, and keeping it basic, say your team is a "3-4" team, keeping in mind how futile of a things that is to say, per your post above, but let's say it is a 3-4.

It would be in the best interests of the team to have about 6 defensive tackle type players on the team, to have starters and backups for the three down linemen. Also, you are only going to need about 4 true linebackers for the inside linebacker position on the roster.

Going the other way with a 4-3, you may only have 4 defensive linemen for the defensive tackle position, which Wilks had in Carolina, and 6 true linebackers for the WLB, MLB, SLB and their backups.

I know, it is a whopping two roster spots that we are talking about, but when thinking about starters it is investing resources into a player, and it is two positions you cannot interchange. You either have to invest in an extra starting caliber linebacker, or defensive tackle.

Heck, if Wilks stood up and said, the Cardinals base defense, or the one they will play the most is Nickel, then great.

Invest that starter resources into an elite nickel back.

It may be splitting hairs, but when it is time to choose players, it is the difference between going after, for the sake of example, Star Lotulelei or Derrick Johnson

I hope that makes more sense, LOL. Again, 100% agree with what you say above, tho.

EDIT: DAMN! After all that I forgot the whole 4-3 that the Falcons, Raiders, Seahawks, and Vikings run.

The Cardinals could, put Marcus Golden at SILB in some 4-3 packages, saving the team from getting that traditional SILB that you would put in a traditional 4-3

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn