15 thoughts - head-coaching search

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This could easily be completely outdated and irrelevant soon if the Cards hire someone.

1 – I don’t think we know all the candidates the Cards have interviewed or plan to interview. By this, I don’t mean anyone on the staffs of the playoff teams since teams has already asked permission to interview them. Maybe it’s someone from the college ranks? What was it Bidwill said at the press conference? That they had send out requests to some coaches currently out of football. Now, at the time of that press conference technically Adam Gase and Mike McCarthy were out of football since they had been fired during or after the season, but it would be pure speculation to guess if Bidwill meant those two. Maybe it’s someone who has really been out of football for a while?

2 – Of the known candidates I am leaning toward Kingsbury, if for nothing else than I think it would be exiting. His offense seems to be highly entertaining and effective. I don’t really care what his record were at Texas Tech because it’s not like it will necessarily be an exact repeat of that. He is older, he has certainly learned some things, Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim might have more to say than the Texas Tech-people and he might be surrounded by much better assistant coaches.

Having Kliff Kingsbury be the offensive coordinator would be even better, I think. A proven head coach and Kingsbury’s offense? Sign me up! I don’t believe that’s realistic, though.

3 – About a week ago Josh Weinfuss of ESPN reported that “most of the Cardinals’ assistants were let go.” How many is “most”? Who do you think stays so far until a new head coach decides what to do? Wide receiver coach Kevin Garver, assistant offensive line coach (previously assistant special teams and assistant tight end coach) Steve Heiden and linebackers coach Larry Foote were holdovers from Arians’ staff, so obviously Bidwill and Keim liked them at least at that time. I think the tight ends and the defensive backs has played fairly well, so maybe tight end coach Jason Michaels and defensive backs coach Dave Merritt are retained so far.

4 – I truly believe that any head coach should be allowed to hire his own staff, but I also believe inputs from other people should be welcomed.

5 – I like the idea of Dan Campbell being the head coach. I like him, and usually I prefers the setup with one head coach and two coordinators. Again, I believe the head coach should be allowed to pick his own staff, but personally, I would like it if Campbell were surrounded by veteran presences like Todd Bowles and Jim Caldwell.

6 – Speaking of Campbell, it’s strange to me why someone would make fun of a potential new head coach. I mean, if he does in fact become the head coach, you can’t really go back without losing some integrity, can you? It’s not like I feel great about everyone they are interviewing, but that’s their decision and I am going to support anyone they choose.

7 – They better take their time to get it right this time. If they are not completely sold on someone they have already interviewed, they better get someone else. The worst thing they could do is to settle for a someone. Some fans want them to hire a head coach fast this time, seemingly no matter if they really think said candidate is the right guy for the job. I think that would be a tragedy.

8 – Well done, fanbase, that only few has brought up that sorry human being, Josh McDaniels, as a potential candidate!

9 – I’m not saying I would like Jim Caldwell to be the head coach, but how did people forget about him being a good head coach so soon? You can look at his records, but you can add his achievements as well. “Well, it was only because of Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford.” Perhaps, but how does anyone know? Maybe they were good because of him. Maybe Caldwell was in charge of surrounding Manning and Stafford with quality coaches. How can anyone honestly claim that his success was only because of others?

By the way, when things go bad it’s always the head coach’ fault, (and it should be. It’s his responsibility), but when things go well it’s to the players’ credit? Come on. Be serious.

10 – Adam Gase seems like a good head coach to me, but when I read that he has challenged the owner in Miami on several occasions, and how he did it, I immediately lost interest. I certainly think it’s a good thing if you can give your co-workers and superiors constructive criticism, but you should always know where to draw the line. Maybe Keim and Bidwill likes that approach, but I just think it’s a sign of egoism and a lack of respect.

11 – I can’t fault the Cards for not picking up the option on Arians’ contract, and thus indirectly renounce a draft pick. It’s certainly unfortunate, but why would you pay someone that you sincerely believe won’t be in the league anymore?

Also, I simply don’t understand the rule. If a player is on PUP for at least six weeks in the final year of his contract, it will “toll” into next year. I just don’t know if a coach’ contract works the same way as a player’s contract, and neither do I know if the Cards had to place Arians on some retired-exemption-non-football related-list if that even exist, because if they didn’t, I tend to think the contract can’t “toll” into next year. If they did, I think they could “take it to court” if they wanted. Again, I don’t understand the rule, but this is my best guess based on the letter of the law.

12 – I think it would be a huge gamble to hire Zac Taylor. Now, as an offensive coordinator, no problem.

13 – It’s interesting that they reportedly have not asked Brian Flores to an interview after they were supposedly blown away with him just last year. It’s not like Flores haven’t had any interviews this time around, so I guess it’s strictly a matter of the Cards wanting an offensive head coach. Still, I think it’s surprising.

14 – If I could choose some of the unreported candidates I was saying might be out there, one candidate I would like it to be is head coach Matt Rhule from Baylor. I think Rhule is exiting as well. First, he has a great history of turning teams around having done it at both Temple and Baylor (and Lord knows the Cardinals need to be turned around). Second, he stood tall in leading the Baylor team through the major sexual assault scandal some years ago. Third, he is known as a good offensive mind, and he has experience coaching both the defensive and offensive side. Fourth, he was a serious candidate for the Indianapolis Colts last year and this year the Jets has reportedly shown interest (so he is apparently thought of as good enough).

15 – Adam Schefter: “[…] the eight NFL teams with head-coaching vacancies still could reach out out to Baltimore to inquire about (John) Harbaugh’s availability. In fact, two NFL teams with current head-coaching openings are strongly considering that possibility.” Hmmm.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on number 10. If Adam Gase got into a shouting match with Stephen Ross, the owner, that would not sit well with Michael Bidwill. Not a good sign so I don't think he will be a good candidate. Bidwill likes to make Cardinals' decisions.

I'm warming to Dan Campbell but will depend on who he has as OC and DC.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Supposedly that's the Broncos and the Dolphins.

That’s right, RedRage, but while I don’t know about Miami, the rumor about Denver was shoot down not long after by Mike Klis who covers the Broncos, and he is usually pretty accurate.

What would you be willing to give up, if anything? I’ve read that some in league circles think it will take two first rounders, while others think it will be a lot less. I don’t know. As we have certainly seen, it is very important to have a good head coach, and I think Harbaugh is one of the best, so I would be inclined to give up a lot. The first overall, though? That’s a steep prize, I must say. If it was, say, the first pick in the second round and a first round pick next year I would consider it. I think Harbaugh would be that good.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Throw ungoldy sums of money at Shaw and see if he bites!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice write up on the possible coaching decisions/candidates.

How do you compare Rhule with Kingsbury? Do you see better leadership qualities?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice write up on the possible coaching decisions/candidates.

How do you compare Rhule with Kingsbury? Do you see better leadership qualities?

I don’t know, Wild, but I will say that Matt Rhule is special in that regard. He did a great job making Temple into a success, but his work at Baylor is what has really impressed me. He was handpicked by Baylor to lead them through a sexual assault scandal, and he did an excellent job. Bill O’Brien did a similar thing at Penn State before he was hired by the Texans.

Kingsbury could be just as good a leader as Rhule. I simply don’t know. What I do know is that basically everyone who has been around him describes him as an offensive wizard, and by that I mean an offensive mastermind with only very few equals. From players, to coaches, to friends, and to everyone in between, they all seem to agree about that – that he has a very rare understanding of offensive concepts and the execution of them. Also, he has proved many times that he can call different offensive gameplans, so while he is a disciple of Mike Leach and his famous Air Raid-offense, Kingsbury can mix and match between different strategies as well.

From everything I have read, Wild, this guy could potentially do wonders with an underwhelming offense like the Cards’.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don’t know, Wild, but I will say that Matt Rhule is special in that regard. He did a great job making Temple into a success, but his work at Baylor is what has really impressed me. He was handpicked by Baylor to lead them through a sexual assault scandal, and he did an excellent job. Bill O’Brien did a similar thing at Penn State before he was hired by the Texans.

Kingsbury could be just as good a leader as Rhule. I simply don’t know. What I do know is that basically everyone who has been around him describes him as an offensive wizard, and by that I mean an offensive mastermind with only very few equals. From players, to coaches, to friends, and to everyone in between, they all seem to agree about that – that he has a very rare understanding of offensive concepts and the execution of them. Also, he has proved many times that he can call different offensive gameplans, so while he is a disciple of Mike Leach and his famous Air Raid-offense, Kingsbury can mix and match between different strategies as well.

From everything I have read, Wild, this guy could potentially do wonders with an underwhelming offense like the Cards’.

Man how I wish Bill O'Brian was still the HC at Penn State. He took a nobody like Matt McGloin and turned him into a above average college QB who then carved out a almost 5 year career in the NFL.