DJ Foster to AZ?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
RB's that are 5 foot 8 inches tall don't do very well as the #1 RB. DJ Foster seems like a bigger/better Ellington. I say we cut Ellington and sign another RB that can actually run the football/move the chains.

I really like KW but not as a #1 RB.

What #1 caliber RB is out there for us to get?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Glad to hear that. Do you think the Cards will be more of a rb by committee approach with Williams, Ellington, Perry and Foster?? I don't think one back would see 20 to 25 touches per game.

Yes. I think Foster can take over the return duties and be used as a situational RB/slot WR. If Kerwynn gets on a roll he might see 20 touches, but that's a stretch and may only happen a couple of times. Penny and Ellington will be shuffled in. Penny on short yardage and Ellington on 3rd downs and passing situations.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Lil Sweetness. I can't deny it, I bought into the hype. Not only was I fan, I was the CEO.

I always wonder how he and Cooper's fortunes would have changed without their injuries their rookie year. If they would have started the season strong and stayed healthy, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they would be two of our most important players today (not likely, but not impossible).

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RB's that are 5 foot 8 inches tall don't do very well as the #1 RB. DJ Foster seems like a bigger/better Ellington. I say we cut Ellington and sign another RB that can actually run the football/move the chains.

I really like KW but not as a #1 RB.
Don't forget we got TJ Logan coming off of IR later on, too.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. I think Foster can take over the return duties and be used as a situational RB/slot WR. If Kerwynn gets on a roll he might see 20 touches, but that's a stretch and may only happen a couple of times. Penny and Ellington will be shuffled in. Penny on short yardage and Ellington on 3rd downs and passing situations.
How would use TJ Logan & Foster on the field together once Logan comes off of IR, Mitch?

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arizona fans get accused of homerism over Scooby, who was a unanimous all-american, and yet ASU fans all bonered up about a guy who has literally done nothing with his career?

Good lord.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Oh its slim pickens but I would say Jonathon Williams (Buffalo #2 now on Denver PS) or Matt Jones. That is not #1 caliber but I would say they are upgrades over Ellington.

Again, you have to scratch your head about BASK. We haven't addressed QBOF, WROF, or drafted a back-up to DJ.

How good would Kareem Hunt have been in round 3 vs trading down for Chad Williams?

I am convinced we should have taken Kizer in rd 2 vs Budda Baker.

I am still chapped we didn't take Myles Jack over RK last year.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depending on his health Ryan Matthews is still available I think but I don't think he's recovered from his neck surgery just yet. Or, depending on how long DJ is going to be out, what would the Jets be willing to take for Forte? Would you trade a 2nd or 3rd for him?

Mitch

Reaction score
How would use TJ Logan & Foster on the field together once Logan comes off of IR, Mitch?

Foster in the slot, Logan at RB. If Foster does well as the punt returner I could see BA keep Foster in that role and use Logan exclusively as the kickoff returner, which is his forte.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh its slim pickens but I would say Jonathon Williams (Buffalo #2 now on Denver PS) or Matt Jones. That is not #1 caliber but I would say they are upgrades over Ellington.

Again, you have to scratch your head about BASK. We haven't addressed QBOF, WROF, or drafted a back-up to DJ.

How good would Kareem Hunt have been in round 3 vs trading down for Chad Williams?

I am convinced we should have taken Kizer in rd 2 vs Budda Baker.

I am still chapped we didn't take Myles Jack over RK last year.
We can sit here and write volumes on how BASK has crapped the bed in the draft.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Depending on his health Ryan Matthews is still available I think but I don't think he's recovered from his neck surgery just yet. Or, depending on how long DJ is going to be out, what would the Jets be willing to take for Forte? Would you trade a 2nd or 3rd for him?

Hell no!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this x1000.

Giving up a high pick for a guy who's stats have declined rapidly in three straight seasons... and for what? To make a putrid offense a little better? No way in hell.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Who did we cut to make room for DJ Foster or did DJ officially go on IR?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who did we cut to make room for DJ Foster or did DJ officially go on IR?
We havent announced the signing yet but I am sure it will coincide with DJ to IR. I would assume we give him a physical first.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well maybe we can draft Saquon Barkley next year. Best RB coming out of college next year.

Mitch

Reaction score
Just watched the CBS news from Boston and to show you how popular D.J. Foster was here in NE, the sports reporter, reported that Foster was claimed off the PS by the Arizona Cardinals. I don't think I've ever heard them report a PS claim.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just watched the CBS news from Boston and to show you how popular D.J. Foster was here in NE, the sports reporter, reported that Foster was claimed off the PS by the Arizona Cardinals. I don't think I've ever heard them report a PS claim.

As I stated earlier, he's a super-great kid Mitch. I always marveled at his maturity, sense of calm and amazing unselfishness while he played at ASU. And again, with a better head coach I think DJ would've enjoyed greater collegiate success.
But he's too small and worse, not fast enough to be truly effective in the NFL. He can't be trusted to run the ball as he will literally get destroyed... like Max Hall style BLOWN UP.
In rare instances, he can be semi-effective out of the backfield or in the slot... with the emphasis on rare. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and I think it's great he's coming home to play for his hometown NFL team... great story. But DJ will rarely, if ever, be a factor in the NFL...

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As I stated earlier, he's a super-great kid Mitch. I always marveled at his maturity, sense of calm and amazing unselfishness while he played at ASU. And again, with a better head coach I think DJ would've enjoyed greater collegiate success.
But he's too small and worse, not fast enough to be truly effective in the NFL. He can't be trusted to run the ball as he will literally get destroyed... like Max Hall style BLOWN UP.
In rare instances, he can be semi-effective out of the backfield or in the slot... with the emphasis on rare. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and I think it's great he's coming home to play for his hometown NFL team... great story. But DJ will rarely, if ever, be a factor in the NFL...

This is a pretty good synopsis. He has the same skill set as Ellington.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He's actually smaller and slower than Ellington...
Ellington is listed as 5'9 and 198 and Foster has the same weight but is listed as 5'11 which is about right since I saw the hype one which said 6'... taller which might mean he will get hit harder if he runs upright like Penny lol