Cardinals release DJ Humphries

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sucks for him. Cold business. Longest-tenured Cardinal and a captain.

Real interesting to talk winning behaviors and team first and then do this.
You're 100% right but eventually they're gonna have to make a business decision that goes against those things. I suppose this is the start. No one knows how effective he would be after this injury & I guess they had to weigh the money he would make against the risk? We already know what SK would do in this situation lol.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're 100% right but eventually they're gonna have to make a business decision that goes against those things. I suppose this is the start. No one knows how effective he would be after this injury & I guess they had to weigh the money he would make against the risk? We already know what SK would do in this situation lol.
Extend him 5 years?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would have dialed back his base to $2M (his injury settlement) and let him rehab with the team.

Maybe he didn’t want to do that for some reason but still an ugly result.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for everything, DJ.

I just hope we don't panic and start looking to replace him at #4.
Agreed, we better make a move in free agency, even if that move is attaining a solid RT and moving PJ over to the left.

Skipping on MHJ or one of these other elite rookie receivers (especially in our situation) for another tackle would be an absolute crime

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they would wait until June and give him a chance to see how his rehab is going. It's not like we are strapped for cap space at the moment. Now, OT is as glaring a hole as WR going into the draft. It probably already was, but now we are not fooling anybody.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is his release pre or post June? Pre 9mil or post 16m for this year?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite memory of him is actually as a rookie, and seeing how much he grew into being a true team leader.

When he was a rookie Arians called him "Knee Deep" because he always needed a kick in the ass. Some of you might remember he didn't play a single snap until late in the season. Looked like a bust. When he did play in the preseason...and I will never forget this as I have never seen anyone do this before or since...he would sprint off the field to be the first at the oline bench. Not to sit on the bench, but to sit on the front seat of the injury cart right in front of the fan. :biglaugh: