Stranger Things (Netflix)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duffers have confirmed it and it will be what they are calling a "sequel".

http://www.slashfilm.com/stranger-things-season-two/

Read the articles, the headlines all say what you're saying but the Duffers themselves say otherwise. They do say that if it's approved it will be more like a sequel than a second season but when asked they repeat the same denial. I don't know what the holdup is, everyone associated with the project seems to expect another season but I don't believe it's official yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Read the articles, the headlines all say what you're saying but the Duffers themselves say otherwise. They do say that if it's approved it will be more like a sequel than a second season but when asked they repeat the same denial. I don't know what the holdup is, everyone associated with the project seems to expect another season but I don't believe it's official yet.
Ah you're right I got ahead of myself. The article does say it is official, but the Duffers don't confirm that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah you're right I got ahead of myself. The article does say it is official, but the Duffers don't confirm that.

It's really strange. There are hundreds of articles out there that make the same claim in the headline but offer no real support for it in the body of their report. And it's creating a lot of confusion. I can just imagine the uproar if Netflix decides against purchasing a second season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe they are going on an interview Matthew Modine did where he said there would be a season 2. I believe this was said the day BEFORE the show was even made available on Netflix.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A few of these might be extreme reaches, but interesting nonetheless....

Oh, and Netflix is apparently going to release the soundtrack too.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A few of these might be extreme reaches, but interesting nonetheless....

Oh, and Netflix is apparently going to release the soundtrack too.

Crazy the time some people have. Not a bad reference video though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If you grew up in the 80's watching E.T., Goonies, Moster Squad, or The Lost Boys, this show is for you! Love it!

I get why this approach was successful, but it also really, REALLY kept me from loving the show. It wasn't bad for me, but it wasn't anything special. I'll probably catch season 2 when it comes out, but never re-watch the first season. The show just relied far too much on nostalgia and archetypes to truly grab me.

And geeze--could the black hat be any more of a one-dimensional black hatted villain? I mean, compared to Stranger Things, Marvel has interesting villains ;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I get why this approach was successful, but it also really, REALLY kept me from loving the show. It wasn't bad for me, but it wasn't anything special. I'll probably catch season 2 when it comes out, but never re-watch the first season. The show just relied far too much on nostalgia and archetypes to truly grab me.

And geeze--could the black hat be any more of a one-dimensional black hatted villain? I mean, compared to Stranger Things, Marvel has interesting villains ;)
I couldn't disagree more. The best part about the show being in the 80s is that they DON'T bang you over the head with 80s references. Sounds like you disagree, but even the music was all from the 80s, so it's not like it's The Wedding Singer where every single aspect of that movie is a direct reference to something in the 80s and they are trying to overload you with references.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. The best part about the show being in the 80s is that they DON'T bang you over the head with 80s references. Sounds like you disagree, but even the music was all from the 80s, so it's not like it's The Wedding Singer where every single aspect of that movie is a direct reference to something in the 80s and they are trying to overload you with references.

Let me clarify, because it wasn't that the nostalgia was smothering or anything. I think they figured the nostalgia would be enough to cover for the 80's B-movie tropes and some one-dimensional characters. But, also like I said, I'm not saying it makes the show awful or anything; far from it. I liked it, but did not love it. Others have raved that it's the best thing Netflix has ever done, blah blah. I don't agree.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify, because it wasn't that the nostalgia was smothering or anything. I think they figured the nostalgia would be enough to cover for the 80's B-movie tropes and some one-dimensional characters. But, also like I said, I'm not saying it makes the show awful or anything; far from it. I liked it, but did not love it. Others have raved that it's the best thing Netflix has ever done, blah blah. I don't agree.

Definitely not the best thing but still great IMO. To me the thing that has been missing from movies is the kid centric adventure movies. It's like Hollywood used up all the good ideas in the 80's.

The family loved this and can't wait for season 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good. definitely nailed the nostalgic feeling. what held it back from being super great were the kids. Don't get me wrong, I liked all of them, but I kinda wish the kids had a little more individuality to them. The brilliance of The Goonies was that each Goonie was completely unique to themselves. Chunk, Mouth, Mikey, Data... every line/action they took seemingly came from a place of character. I didn't get that feeling from this pack. They were well cast and likable, but the fact that I can't even remember any of their names after binge-watching this in the last two days speaks to how relatively vanilla each character was.

I LOVED the sheriff. He knocked it out of the park. And I really liked the fact that the the "love triangle" didn't play to form and that there was redemption there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good. definitely nailed the nostalgic feeling. what held it back from being super great were the kids. Don't get me wrong, I liked all of them, but I kinda wish the kids had a little more individuality to them. The brilliance of The Goonies was that each Goonie was completely unique to themselves. Chunk, Mouth, Mikey, Data... every line/action they took seemingly came from a place of character. I didn't get that feeling from this pack. They were well cast and likable, but the fact that I can't even remember any of their names after binge-watching this in the last two days speaks to how relatively vanilla each character was.

I LOVED the sheriff. He knocked it out of the park. And I really liked the fact that the the "love triangle" didn't play to form and that there was redemption there.
I can go along with that. It's amazing how spoiled we got just from the Goonies and the fact that there are literally hundreds more movies with kids in them that don't even come close to the individuality of those kids. It's obviously a tough act to follow. What makes Stranger Things better than the "average" Goonie wanna-be is that the kids are actually decent actors and don't actually distract from the story like so many kids do (I'm looking at you, Jurassic Park series).

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVED the sheriff. He knocked it out of the park.

Completely agree. He looked so familiar that I finally Googled him and realized he was one of the creeps Liam Neeson was up against in A Walk Among the Tombstones.

You must be registered for see images attach

He killed it as the sheriff and I thought Winona Ryder killed it as the mom.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He looked so familiar that I finally Googled him and realized he was one of the creeps Liam Neeson was up against in A Walk Among the Tombstones.

What, you didn't like the Equalizer? He's the main dirty cop in that movie and he's great in it. I don't really enjoy Winona all that much, David Harbour was a big draw for us in deciding to watch this show in the first place.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, you didn't like the Equalizer? He's the main dirty cop in that movie and he's great in it. I don't really enjoy Winona all that much, David Harbour was a big draw for us in deciding to watch this show in the first place.

I thought Winona was fantastic considering how long it had been since I have seen her do much of anything.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Haven't seen the Equalizer yet.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Stranger Things' Renewed for Second Season

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/stranger-things-renewed-for-second-season/ar-AAijaRg?li=BBnb7Kz

Start toasting your waffles, Stranger Things fans: Netflix has revealed the summer hit will return in 2017 with nine episodes. If you’re doing your Stranger Things math, that’s one more chapter than the first installment.

Things, about a small town dealing with an interdimensional portal and one (or more) really gross monsters, has become THE show of the summer with its homages to ’80s classics and charming cast of newcomers.

To announce the series’ return, Netflix on Wednesday released a new version of the show’s famous title sequence (above) featuring what appear to be the titles of nine new episodes. Additional text reads, “In the fall of 1984, the adventure continues.”

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Stranger Things' Renewed for Second Season

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/stranger-things-renewed-for-second-season/ar-AAijaRg?li=BBnb7Kz

Start toasting your waffles, Stranger Things fans: Netflix has revealed the summer hit will return in 2017 with nine episodes. If you’re doing your Stranger Things math, that’s one more chapter than the first installment.

Things, about a small town dealing with an interdimensional portal and one (or more) really gross monsters, has become THE show of the summer with its homages to ’80s classics and charming cast of newcomers.

To announce the series’ return, Netflix on Wednesday released a new version of the show’s famous title sequence (above) featuring what appear to be the titles of nine new episodes. Additional text reads, “In the fall of 1984, the adventure continues.”

One of the charms of the show is the cast. I really hope they get to filming before all these kids have mustaches and deep voices. :) Once the kids are too old I wonder how much of the charm evaporates for this show. It will be an interesting dynamic unless the show is only meant to last a few seasons.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Winona was fantastic considering how long it had been since I have seen her do much of anything.

I didn't have a problem with her in the show, I'm just not a fan of her in general.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter and I just binged watched this over the weekend. LOVED IT! Totally brought me back to my childhood days. Can't wait for season 2!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can go along with that. It's amazing how spoiled we got just from the Goonies and the fact that there are literally hundreds more movies with kids in them that don't even come close to the individuality of those kids. It's obviously a tough act to follow. What makes Stranger Things better than the "average" Goonie wanna-be is that the kids are actually decent actors and don't actually distract from the story like so many kids do (I'm looking at you, Jurassic Park series).

Totally agree. I really liked the young actors that they picked for this show. They didn't distract like many young actors do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose