Stranger Things (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brian in Mesa, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

Crazy the time some people have. Not a bad reference video though.

2. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

I get why this approach was successful, but it also really, REALLY kept me from loving the show. It wasn't bad for me, but it wasn't anything special. I'll probably catch season 2 when it comes out, but never re-watch the first season. The show just relied far too much on nostalgia and archetypes to truly grab me.

And geeze--could the black hat be any more of a one-dimensional black hatted villain? I mean, compared to Stranger Things, Marvel has interesting villains ;)

3. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I couldn't disagree more. The best part about the show being in the 80s is that they DON'T bang you over the head with 80s references. Sounds like you disagree, but even the music was all from the 80s, so it's not like it's The Wedding Singer where every single aspect of that movie is a direct reference to something in the 80s and they are trying to overload you with references.

Brian in Mesa and unseenaz like this.
  4. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Let me clarify, because it wasn't that the nostalgia was smothering or anything. I think they figured the nostalgia would be enough to cover for the 80's B-movie tropes and some one-dimensional characters. But, also like I said, I'm not saying it makes the show awful or anything; far from it. I liked it, but did not love it. Others have raved that it's the best thing Netflix has ever done, blah blah. I don't agree.

5. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Definitely not the best thing but still great IMO. To me the thing that has been missing from movies is the kid centric adventure movies. It's like Hollywood used up all the good ideas in the 80's.

The family loved this and can't wait for season 2.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I thought it was pretty good. definitely nailed the nostalgic feeling. what held it back from being super great were the kids. Don't get me wrong, I liked all of them, but I kinda wish the kids had a little more individuality to them. The brilliance of The Goonies was that each Goonie was completely unique to themselves. Chunk, Mouth, Mikey, Data... every line/action they took seemingly came from a place of character. I didn't get that feeling from this pack. They were well cast and likable, but the fact that I can't even remember any of their names after binge-watching this in the last two days speaks to how relatively vanilla each character was.

I LOVED the sheriff. He knocked it out of the park. And I really liked the fact that the the "love triangle" didn't play to form and that there was redemption there.

7. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I can go along with that. It's amazing how spoiled we got just from the Goonies and the fact that there are literally hundreds more movies with kids in them that don't even come close to the individuality of those kids. It's obviously a tough act to follow. What makes Stranger Things better than the "average" Goonie wanna-be is that the kids are actually decent actors and don't actually distract from the story like so many kids do (I'm looking at you, Jurassic Park series).

8. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Completely agree. He looked so familiar that I finally Googled him and realized he was one of the creeps Liam Neeson was up against in A Walk Among the Tombstones.

[​IMG]

He killed it as the sheriff and I thought Winona Ryder killed it as the mom.

9. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

What, you didn't like the Equalizer? He's the main dirty cop in that movie and he's great in it. I don't really enjoy Winona all that much, David Harbour was a big draw for us in deciding to watch this show in the first place.

10. Covert Rain

I thought Winona was fantastic considering how long it had been since I have seen her do much of anything.

11. Brian in Mesa

Haven't seen the Equalizer yet.

12. Brian in Mesa

'Stranger Things' Renewed for Second Season

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/stranger-things-renewed-for-second-season/ar-AAijaRg?li=BBnb7Kz

Start toasting your waffles, Stranger Things fans: Netflix has revealed the summer hit will return in 2017 with nine episodes. If you’re doing your Stranger Things math, that’s one more chapter than the first installment.

Things, about a small town dealing with an interdimensional portal and one (or more) really gross monsters, has become THE show of the summer with its homages to ’80s classics and charming cast of newcomers.

To announce the series’ return, Netflix on Wednesday released a new version of the show’s famous title sequence (above) featuring what appear to be the titles of nine new episodes. Additional text reads, “In the fall of 1984, the adventure continues.”

13. Covert Rain

One of the charms of the show is the cast. I really hope they get to filming before all these kids have mustaches and deep voices. :) Once the kids are too old I wonder how much of the charm evaporates for this show. It will be an interesting dynamic unless the show is only meant to last a few seasons.

14. AzStevenCal

I would have trimmed the movie down by 5 or 10 minutes but all in all, I liked it quite a bit. And as I mentioned, Harbour is great in it.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  15. AzStevenCal

I didn't have a problem with her in the show, I'm just not a fan of her in general.