Devin Booker = Franchise Player?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are hurting at PG. Last night I felt most comfortable when Booker was handing the ball.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are hurting at PG. Last night I felt most comfortable when Booker was handing the ball.

Yes. I felt that way with Horny, many times, when he was a player. There was point during those years that I wanted EJ to quit shooting and Horny to take every one of his shots.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ah this is so much fun, reminiscent of Amare's rookie year.

Having lots of fun with other teams fans that are suggesting deals like Booker, Len and draft picks for Jimmy Butler or Booker and #3 for James Harden or Booker and #3 for #1

While I am saying that Phoenix would not trade Booker for Butler straight up, would not trade Booker for Harden straight up and would not trade Booker for Simmons straight up.

While at the same time random NBA fans claim to know that Booker is limited as a ball handler, passer and athlete.

It is just so much fun, reminds me of times when random NBA fans claimed through the first 2 seasons that Amare was so overrated and could only dunk.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That was the first year I ever really, really got into the draft - I wanted Hilario out of all the guys within our range - 9th pick - but figured he'd be gone by then. Would gladly have taken Wilcox as well (wanted nothing to do with J Jeffries) but when they announced Stoudemire I remember thinking...Hell yeah, great pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Having lots of fun with other teams fans that are suggesting deals like Booker, Len and draft picks for Jimmy Butler or Booker and #3 for James Harden or Booker and #3 for #1

While I am saying that Phoenix would not trade Booker for Butler straight up, would not trade Booker for Harden straight up and would not trade Booker for Simmons straight up.

While at the same time random NBA fans claim to know that Booker is limited as a ball handler, passer and athlete.

It is just so much fun, reminds me of times when random NBA fans claimed through the first 2 seasons that Amare was so overrated and could only dunk.

yeah, i don't agree with all of the above, but that kid is only starting to scratch the surface of his talent. he's not only just going to get better, he's going to get MUCH MUCH better.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Crazy, but most interested I've been in the team in a while. We finally did things right, and bottomed out to to rebuild. Nba hell is being stuck in mediocrity, like most of the teams In the league.

Scary where booker is for someone who is 19, really may be a franchise 2 guard. And I always hoped len would be a pre Injury illgauskas, I think he can be better now. A legit 20 and 10 center, still needs to get stronger and not pushed off the block so easily.

Add in a top pick, and you actually have a correctly done rebuild.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Crazy, but most interested I've been in the team in a while. We finally did things right, and bottomed out to to rebuild. Nba hell is being stuck in mediocrity, like most of the teams In the league.

Scary where booker is for someone who is 19, really may be a franchise 2 guard. And I always hoped len would be a pre Injury illgauskas, I think he can be better now. A legit 20 and 10 center, still needs to get stronger and not pushed off the block so easily.

Add in a top pick, and you actually have a correctly done rebuild.

I think he's plenty strong enough when it comes to holding position although he doesn't always set himself well. I'm sure he'll fill out a little more but if it costs him any thing in the mobility department I'd rather he stay the way he is now. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a little stronger from the forearm down though. As for our pick this year, if we get as lucky with that one (maybe the Washington pick too) as we did with Booker we should be in pretty good shape for the future. Unfortunately it's not looking like a great year to be picking early.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Booker is averaging 27/3/4 over the last 4 games.

It would be nice if he improved his rebounding a little bit but it's a minor worry. You are pretty happy when your shooting guard is great at what shooting guards should do.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Booker is averaging 27/3/4 over the last 4 games.

It would be nice if he improved his rebounding a little bit but it's a minor worry. You are pretty happy when your shooting guard is great at what shooting guards should do.
'Sorry, but I got a chuckle over even mentioning Booker's rebounding as a worry. It reminds me of when Markieff announced that the Guards would have to provide the rebounding for the Suns. Thank goodness those days are finally behind us.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
'Sorry, but I got a chuckle over even mentioning Booker's rebounding as a worry. It reminds me of when Markieff announced that the Guards would have to provide the rebounding for the Suns. Thank goodness those days are finally behind us.

I'm sure Watson with his San Antonio connection has something to do with Booker's rebounding numbers too. Most of the rebounds you see from a perimeter player come on the offensive end and a lot of coaches preach defensive transition now over crashing the boards.

Popovich is a strong proponent of always hustling back and they are famous there for saying they don't care if their guards ever grab an offensive rebound. And I've read several articles in the past 3 months talking about how this is now a trend throughout the league, not just for the Spurs family of coaches. I don't remember the exceptions but they were few IIRC.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
35 tonight. Good god this kid is incredible. What's his ceiling right now?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker with another brilliant game.

I do hope that too many minutes at such a young age doesn't crash him. I think Watson gets his minutes contributions philosophy from Thibs. Just hope it doesn't lead to an injury or anything like that.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
35 tonight. Good god this kid is incredible. What's his ceiling right now?

Superstar.

I can't think of a player to compare him. I used to say Bradley Beal but he's better than that. Can't say Thompson cause Booker can perhaps already create for himself better then Thompson ever could.

If you want to throw out legends out there, I guess you could say Ray Allen.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Brandon Roy and Ray Allen are decent comparisons.

Maybe a little James Harden.

I am all for playing the young guys as much as possible but 42 minutes plus in back to back gamesand in Denver and in blowouts is a bit extreme...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is blowing me away is his passing, which will only get better.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Superstar.

I can't think of a player to compare him. I used to say Bradley Beal but he's better than that. Can't say Thompson cause Booker can perhaps already create for himself better then Thompson ever could.

If you want to throw out legends out there, I guess you could say Ray Allen.

I originally thought he would be "more athletic Kyle Korver", which is no insult. Solid #3 option on a good team and an all star now and then.

Nope, he is going to be the Paul Goldschmidt of the Suns.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Reggie Miller. Not necessarily style of play but caliber of player. Not an MVP but consistently all pro.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It is amazing how versatile and smart this kid is. I have never seen a 19 year-old like Booker. "Oh, I am not hitting threes tonight? Let me run and get some points in transition! Let me drive to the hoop and draw some fouls. Oh, they are giving me room now, let me pull up for a mid-range jumper now!"

Booker is going to be scary in a couple of years.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm guessing most of you or all of you didn't watch tonight's game (no game thread) but it was basically the Booker vs Mudiay show. Booker was obviously impressive but Mudiay showed me more scoring ability tonight than I thought he had in him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reggie Miller. Not necessarily style of play but caliber of player. Not an MVP but consistently all pro.

I like the Reggie Miller comparison. Yeah their games are different, Booker seems to be more like Ray Allen in Seattle/Milwaukee type of talent, but I think as a player and piece of the puzzle Miller is the best comparison. He could be the best player on a perennial playoff team but I doubt a team could legitimately contend with him as their best player. They would need to get lucky in the postseason and have a really solid team around him. He could easily be a 1a or 1b sort of player like Dwayne Wade though, paired with a legit superstar and I think the Suns could contend like that.

I'm not sure if Len will ever reach superstar level but with Booker at SG and Len at C, I think you can add a star level player at either forward position and be a contender, in a couple of years. I don't see Bledsoe as a potential superstar playing alongside those 2 but if he focused on cutting down on turnovers and being more of a distributor he'd be a solid PG for the future. The question remains though if he'd be content being a 3rd or 4th option on offense while looking to distribute mainly, and effectively. I agree with most here that Knight should be a 6th man or be moved. Warren could be the first F off of the bench behind a rebounding PF and an all star level SF or an all star level PF and 3 & D SF. Having Booker and Len as building blocks I think the team is capable of going in a lot of different directions because their skill sets should be able to mesh with a lot of different styled players. I don't think either one has a strong enough defining set of skills to style a team around though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am trying not to get too excited about Booker, but he seems to improve game by game. Kudos to EW for letting him do it.

He is more athletic than I thought he was. He is very fast but smooth at the same time. His intelligence and composure is a marvel. I have no doubt that he will eventually add the last missing piece to his game which is defense. If he does that, he will be a complete player. There have been so very few of those and I don't remember any on the Suns.

Shooting, driving, ball handling, distributing and defense. That puts him in MJ and Kobe territory. Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying he will be as good. I am just talking about being a complete player.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why put a ceiling on him? I don't get this thinking. The past success of Ray Allen or current success of Klay Thompson does not limit what Booker can become.

For all I know Booker could be the best player in the NBA in 7 years. The likelihood of that is slim, but it is possible see Steph Curry.

Ceiling means there is no way Booker will be better than Ray Allen/Brandon Roy/Klay Thompson/James Harden/Reggie Miller/Mitch Ritchmond.

Mitch Richmond could be a pretty good comparison stylistically I feel.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was never much of a Reggie Miller fan, thought he was good but overrated. But looking at today's game I wonder just how good he could have been under current rules? My guess, he'd no longer be on my overrated list.

It's so incredibly premature to suggest that Booker will become the player Reggie was (even the one I think is overrated) but I'll admit, I'm going to be a little disappointed if he isn't at least as successful as Miller was. This is the perfect time to have the kind of talents those two have and in today's game I believe you can build a championship team around Miller and hopefully Booker.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It seems like he improves and expands his game day to day. I swear he's gotten faster because he's sailing right by defenders that think they have him contained. Pretty nice arsenal of shots around the basket - rather like TJ in that regard. Good command of angles, too. Good vision and bball IQ - and unflappable. If he decides he wants to be a PG, I have little doubt he'd work himself into agood one - wouldn't push him into though.

As much as I dislike Knight, if I were forced to go with out current backcourt, I'd start him and Booker and bring Bledso off the bench. Keep the latter's minutes down so he could go full tilt both ways when he is on the floor. I'd still prefer to have a true playmaking PG in place of Knight to make the frontcourt players a bigger part of the offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison