Devin Booker = Franchise Player?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I have to admit I was completely wrong on Booker, I hated the pick and thought Booker was limited to being a shooter. I really wanted Myles Turner who looks fantastic too like many rookies in last years draft. The 2015 draft is a great example that rookies in fact still can come to the NBA and make an impact immediately.

I can't stop raving about Booker right now. It is stunning how good and well rounded his game already. Sure he makes occassional bad decisions, his defense is clearly the defense of a rookie, he is not a big time leaper but still very athletic and he needs to get stronger but all those things are rather easy to correct.

Now couple his play with imo the fact that he is a very charismatic guy and you have a sure-fire star. If I am the Suns I am getting my marketing division right on this.

A few weeks ago I said Booker would be a top 4 pick if the draft was re-done after Towns, Porzingis and Okafor.
Right now I am starting to believe that Devin Booker is the best player in this draft not named Towns. And with the way the NBA is trending it is hard to envision a shooting guard with a better skillset than Booker.

Booker is leading all NBA players in Pick and Roll efficiency ahead of Steph Curry..

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right now he is the best player on an injury depleted team but could develop into a Klay Thompson type player if he gets time and no one blocks his development.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Assuming the Suns finally get it right and dump most of the roster, which guys do you keep and build around?

More directly, what do you guys want to see as our contending caliber starting 5 two years from now?

JustinD

Veteran
Reaction score
Assuming the Suns finally get it right and dump most of the roster, which guys do you keep and build around?

More directly, what do you guys want to see as our contending caliber starting 5 two years from now?

You keep Bled, Booker, TJ & Len.

and it's going to take longer than 2 years to be "contending caliber"....unless you mean contending for the 7/8 seed in 2 years. In case, our starting 5 is...

PG Eric Bledsoe
SG Devin Booker
SF Ben Simmons
PF *Anyone but Keef
C Alex Len/Tyson

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker is our starting 2. That should not change from here forward.

We are then going to have to decide who our third guard is, Knight or Archie.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It took Golden State's core 5 years or so and a couple of coaching changes to grow into what they are now.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It took Golden State's core 5 years or so and a couple of coaching changes to grow into what they are now.

This. Jackson also let the young guys play and make mistakes early on. Steph wasn't the killer you see now, and I don't think it happens the way it did without being allowed to play through the young player mistakes that inevitably happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help but think Devin Booker might be a Stephen Curry type talent. Of course only time will tell. There is plenty of time for him to get there. Booker was drafted at age 18. Curry was drafted at age 21. I use age as only a reference point.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't help but think Devin Booker might be a Stephen Curry type talent. Of course only time will tell. There is plenty of time for him to get there. Booker was drafted at age 18. Curry was drafted at age 21. I use age as only a reference point.

Honestly, I think more of a Ray Allen. He doesn't have the ball handling and distributing skills. But he has that absolutely pure jumper ray allen had. He would probably be good in a Ray Allen role long term. That would be a contender's second or third option.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think more of a Ray Allen. He doesn't have the ball handling and distributing skills. But he has that absolutely pure jumper ray allen had. He would probably be good in a Ray Allen role long term. That would be a contender's second or third option.

you're talking Celtics Ray Allen though. Bucks/Seattle Ray Allen had handles and elite athleticism that I don't think Booker has... which is okay. I see his ceiling being more of a Klay Thompson, which is still pretty damn good.

I think people forget just how much of an all around game Allen had back in the day.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Booker will develop better ball handling and distributing skills as time goes on. Minimally I think he will be a second option for a contender. He is young enough to develop PG skills. If so, watch out.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
you're talking Celtics Ray Allen though. Bucks/Seattle Ray Allen had handles and elite athleticism that I don't think Booker has... which is okay. I see his ceiling being more of a Klay Thompson, which is still pretty damn good.

I think people forget just how much of an all around game Allen had back in the day.

Booker's handle looks very good for a 6'6 shooting guard, imo. By far the biggest surprise in his game.

And what about his athleticism? He is not a leaper, but his athleticism is very good. Great footspeed, quickness. He posted the fastest shuttle time at the combine.

Klay Thompson was not as good as Booker at 19 years old, I don't see why Klay Thompson should be Booker's ceiling. Why can Booker not be better than Klay?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

yes

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker's handle looks very good for a 6'6 shooting guard, imo. By far the biggest surprise in his game.

And what about his athleticism? He is not a leaper, but his athleticism is very good. Great footspeed, quickness. He posted the fastest shuttle time at the combine.

Klay Thompson was not as good as Booker at 19 years old, I don't see why Klay Thompson should be Booker's ceiling. Why can Booker not be better than Klay?

This is correct. He does not leap, but he is very fast. His motions on the court are smooth and efficient and deceptively fast. You watch Ray Allen clips and you see similar movement (but higher leaping ability).

I am hoping, actually, that the smoothness of his movements and the fact that he isn't jumping out of the gym, will lead to a career with less injuries.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why should we even put a ceiling on Booker based on what he has shown so far.
Maybe he will be the "Shooting Guard" equivalent of Steph Curry, who knows.

I don't think Kobe was this good at 19 years old.

Last 8 games he's averaged 20.8pts 2.8reb 3.4ast 3.0x3pt 44% from the field and 87% (on 4.7 FTA!) a night.

That is almost Klay Thompson production offensively right now.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

maybe he can.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Booker will develop better ball handling and distributing skills as time goes on. Minimally I think he will be a second option for a contender. He is young enough to develop PG skills. If so, watch out.

Same even though it wouldn't surprise me to see him develop into something more. I feel like most contenders in the league these days have at least two elite players and I think Booker can be that 2nd elite player.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ray Allen was great, I think Booker can be better. He shows good instincts on defense and is much quicker side to side than Allen was so he will hopefully be a much better defender. I know he's yet to accomplish anything but Booker is probably Allen's equal as a shooter (in potential) and is just as smart as Ray was. Hopefully he'll be Ray's equal as a teammate and a competitor/closer, two of Allen's strengths.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Booker will set the rookie record for most points by scoring 60 :D

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't know how good he is going to be, but I know he is already an outstanding player at the age of 19. He is an outstanding shooter, he can put the ball on the floor, he can handle the ball well, and he can pass. He has an amazing basketball IQ and he has no fear.
He should turn into an amazing player. On a side-note, a lot of this applies to TJ Warren as well.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Booker is the only untradeable player on the team. He'll surpass Klay Thompson soon enough. We need a stud forward next to him, a better distributor, and some strong role players. Then we can start contending in 3-4 years. Booker makes me optimistic for the future.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Booker is the only untradeable player on the team. He'll surpass Klay Thompson soon enough. We need a stud forward next to him, a better distributor, and some strong role players. Then we can start contending in 3-4 years. Booker makes me optimistic for the future.

Agreed. Booker is the real deal. I watched him several times during summer league and was shocked with how smooth he plays and how easy the game comes to him.

It shows you how incompetent the coaching staff was that this kid couldn't even get off the bench sometimes earlier this year.