Straight Outta Compton

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so why is a guy who hates rap music posting in a thread related to a movie about rap music moguls?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
To each his own. Much like the oldies style rock was considered the Devil's music, rap gave a unique voice to a generation that had none. I loved rap as a kid and if you took time to listen to the words there were plenty of songs with powerful messages that spoke to a generation that grew up on it. I understood the "English" just fine.

I don't like much rap at all myself, but this is spot on. I won't denigrate the musical genre, because it was important for so many reasons. Not important to me, personally, but that doesn't mean it wasn't important.

Reaction score
Can`t stand disco or lame ass pop music.Hate rap,heavy metal headbanger junk.I prefer music that speaks English.I don`t need some idiot wearing their hat backwards and pants hanging down talking crap.If that's your thing then good for you.Myself I think it sucks.

You can understand the english just fine in this rap song. I listen to all types of music. I judge songs by their content not the color of its genre. ;)

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the rap music now can't even come close to the rap music back then (NWA, Dr. Dre, 2 Pac, Biggie, etc.). It is so bad now. Obviously the new generation would most likely disagree with me

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the rap music now can't even come close to the rap music back then (NWA, Dr. Dre, 2 Pac, Biggie, etc.). It is so bad now. Obviously the new generation would most likely disagree with me

some of it is still good, i had one of the newer snoop albums rhythm and gangsta and 666 mafia, good stuff. doesnt hold up to old stuff but its still good.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some of it is still good, i had one of the newer snoop albums rhythm and gangsta and 666 mafia, good stuff. doesnt hold up to old stuff but its still good.

My stepson would listen to Tech9 all the time. Brutal. Guess I just don't like the new stuff and I can't see myself even giving it a chance.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is old school.....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straight Outta Compton

Release Date: August 14, 2015
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: F. Gary Gray
MPAA Rating: R (for language throughout, strong sexuality/nudity, violence, and drug use)
Screenwriter: Andrea Berloff
Genre: Drama, Musical, Biography
Website: StraightOuttaCompton.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Starring: Paul Giamatti, Aldis Hodge, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, Neil Brown Jr.

Plot Summary: In the mid-1980s, the streets of Compton, California, were some of the most dangerous in the country. When five young men translated their experiences growing up into brutally honest music that rebelled against abusive authority, they gave an explosive voice to a silenced generation. Following the meteoric rise and fall of N.W.A., "Straight Outta Compton" tells the astonishing story of how these youngsters revolutionized music and pop culture forever the moment they told the world the truth about life in the hood and ignited a cultural war.

You must be registered for see images attach

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
My BIL, who is 19, posted a "Straight outta" meme on Facebook... I was like "You weren't even close to being born when this album came out!"

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So is this basically based on the true story of them?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

my little bro (big bro little bro program) who lives down in Compton is 16, definitely new generation and completely agrees with you. thinks today's stuff about just banging and ******* is crap and always talks up the legends of the past who actually SAID something with their music.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gotten really good reviews thus far.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen this, but my 18 year old son saw it last night. He's a pretty harsh film critic, but here's his review of this one: "Everyone, go see Straight Outta Compton. Give that movie all your money. It's gonna be a classic."

:lol:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it. Pretty solid, entertaining movie. Cube's kid is great in it... the literal spitting image of his father. The kid who played Eazy was really good also, but I think any talk of Oscar is overblown.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I saw it. Pretty solid, entertaining movie. Cube's kid is great in it... the literal spitting image of his father. The kid who played Eazy was really good also, but I think any talk of Oscar is overblown.

I agree with all of this. I pretty much hate this kind of music, but it looked to me and my friend like a compelling story. This movie fulfills that. I particularly enjoyed how it pointed out that not all rappers were the same, and some of the chilling imagery surrounding the riots. Very well done and entertaining throughout. I didn't find it long, even though it was.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If you would let your 11 year old listen to that album, it doesn't make you enlightened. It makes you a turd awful parent.

I wasn't into that type of rap when it came out. I got into Snoop and Dre afterwards and then went back into NWA. Today, I still like those older rap songs. Today's rap stinks and makes no sense. I look forward on seeing how their careers started.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson