Tomorrowland

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It is a Disney movie

Do you remember when "Black Hole" came out? It was a pretty edgy flick for it's time,...sort of a scifi horror type thing,.... it was a Disney,...their first venture into films targeted towards an older audience. They suffered some pretty sever backlash for that and scrapped a couple other movies they were planning due to public outcry...the past ten years or so they have been broadening their horizons again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078869/

nothing about the backlash there...just the movie page.... I remember enjoying it in the theater and being a bit annoyed that Disney was shying away from movies outside the chitty chitty bang bang mode for a while

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Watched it last night. It was pretty good. I had higher hopes for it, but it was worth the theater tickets.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My kids liked it. I thought it was just good. Good message although a little heavy handed sometime.

I LOVED the quote from House which was something like; "Nobody wants to believe anything someone says might happen tomorrow, because that would require them to do something about it today."

Spot on, America in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
My kids liked it. I thought it was just good. Good message although a little heavy handed sometime.

I LOVED the quote from House which was something like; "Nobody wants to believe anything someone says might happen tomorrow, because that would require them to do something about it today."

Spot on, America in a nutshell.

My granddaughter loved it. It was good enough to keep my attention, and I appreciate the fact that Disney tried to bring something new to the screen.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's getting "John Carter'ed":

‘Tomorrowland’ Exposes Hollywood’s Originality Problem

"Tomorrowland’s” middling debut points to a nagging problem in Hollywood. As much as people claim they love fresh and unique movies, they’re more likely to shell out money for sequels and reboots.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked out after 20 minutes. It was trying SOOOOO hard to be an Amblin film, that it just bugged the crap out of me so I bolted.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I walked out after 20 minutes. It was trying SOOOOO hard to be an Amblin film, that it just bugged the crap out of me so I bolted.

Wow, I didn't think it was a movie anyone would walk out on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was trying to impress the girl he was with.

***SPOILER ALERT***

It didn't work.

Actually... I was alone! So jokes on you jackass!

Or maybe it's on both of us.

Full disclosure, the movie was bugging the crap out of me, but I also had a major eureka moment on the pilot I'm writing while thinking of something else ten minutes into the movie and needed to get back to my script ASAP before the idea floated away.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I liked it. No, it wasn't one of those movies that you left saying, "oh, boy was that GREAT!!!!," but it was entertaining. Yes, it was very "Disney", but I knew that going in and "Disney-esque" is fine with us. Nice visuals, it kept our attention, and I walked out feeling I didn't waste my money. 3.5 out of 5 in its genre. 3 out of 5 overall.

One other thing. Can we please have a movie where none of the characters have an English accent? Especially children? Deaf old men like me have a devil of a time understanding them, and this was no exception.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and kids really liked it. I agree with some of the above comments that it wasn't GREAT. I think the studio wanted to kick off another huge franchise like Pirates it seemed like. In some aspects it felt like they "tried to hard" but was still a fun movie.

This movie was underrated IMO. I think if it wasn't for the expectations and if it wasn't for the trailers which did a piss poor job of explaining what the movie was about it would have done better. It's definitely better than John Carter and Jupiter Ascending which were train wrecks and garbage IMO.

It was really entertaining and a good family movie IMO. I definitely would recommend it to other families or the "Disney crowd". If you are a hardcore sci-fi junky? I would say it's worthy of a view but definitely not a classic.

Last edited:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To me, it was decent, nothing that special, etc., etc. Started to lose interest in it early on but thought it got better later. My wife and I both came out saying "It was OK.".

George C. Looney is OK in it but I thought the little robot girl carried the show pretty well.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My wife and I liked it. No, it wasn't one of those movies that you left saying, "oh, boy was that GREAT!!!!," but it was entertaining. Yes, it was very "Disney", but I knew that going in and "Disney-esque" is fine with us. Nice visuals, it kept our attention, and I walked out feeling I didn't waste my money. 3.5 out of 5 in its genre. 3 out of 5 overall.

One other thing. Can we please have a movie where none of the characters have an English accent? Especially children? Deaf old men like me have a devil of a time understanding them, and this was no exception.

I have a theory about this I think they did that to assist the effect of her being older.

The english accent she was doing (or has naturally lol) definitely gives a more sophisticated sound and played into the whole, background of her character.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a theory about this I think they did that to assist the effect of her being older.

The english accent she was doing (or has naturally lol) definitely gives a more sophisticated sound and played into the whole, background of her character.

I wouldn't know.... I couldn't understand her.....

:D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/disney-could-lose-140-million-on-tomorrowland-121191058367.html

If ever there was a studio that could withstand a serious stumble, it’s Disney, home of Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. And stumble it has with Tomorrowland, the Brad Bird-directed fantasy adventure. Sources say the film will lose $120 million to $140 million by the time it finishes its global rollout, becoming Disney’s first major financial misfire since The Lone Ranger prompted a $190 mil*lion write-down two summers ago.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrowland

Release Date: May 22, 2015
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Brad Bird
MPAA Rating: PG (for sequences of sci-fi action violence and peril, thematic elements, and language)
Screenwriters: Brad Bird, Damon Lindelof
Genre: Adventure

Starring: George Clooney, Judy Greer, Tim McGraw, Hugh Laurie, Kathryn Hahn, Thomas Robinson, Britt Robertson, Raffey Cassidy, Keegan-Michael Key

Plot Summary: From Disney comes two-time Oscar winner Brad Bird's riveting, mystery adventure "Tomorrowland," starring Academy Award winner George Clooney. Bound by a shared destiny, former boy-genius Frank (Clooney), jaded by disillusionment, and Casey (Britt Robertson), a bright, optimistic teen bursting with scientific curiosity, embark on a danger-filled mission to unearth the secrets of an enigmatic place somewhere in time and space known only as "Tomorrowland." What they must do there changes the world--and them--forever.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/disney-could-lose-140-million-on-tomorrowland-121191058367.html

If ever there was a studio that could withstand a serious stumble, it’s Disney, home of Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. And stumble it has with Tomorrowland, the Brad Bird-directed fantasy adventure. Sources say the film will lose $120 million to $140 million by the time it finishes its global rollout, becoming Disney’s first major financial misfire since The Lone Ranger prompted a $190 mil*lion write-down two summers ago.

Yikes. Looked so good from the first preview too. :|

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Meh, Disney will survive. Cant say I really feel bad for them, nobody bats a thousand. I'm bummed for Britt Robertson because she will probably never get her own movie again like this, because of the flop, and I actually think she's a very good young actress.

I will say that other than a couple scenes, the whole movie was a lot more dreary visually than I expected it to be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, Disney will survive. Cant say I really feel bad for them, nobody bats a thousand. I'm bummed for Britt Robertson because she will probably never get her own movie again like this, because of the flop, and I actually think she's a very good young actress.

I will say that other than a couple scenes, the whole movie was a lot more dreary visually than I expected it to be.

she'll be fine... good actress, good look... this bomb falls on Clooney and Bird's shoulders, not hers. Hopefully though this bomb means she'll do some non-studio stuff where she can flex her chops before being sucked back into the machine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn