Whiz wins opener.......many more to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
At this point, 2 seasons later, the amount of negative energy still pointed in his direction is quite unfortunate. He did some really good things for this franchise, even though the end was less than stellar.

If you still hold a grudge against Whisenhunt, you have issues--get over it.

I think the impetus is less a grudge against KW than it is that so many people steadfastly refused to accept that KW had any flaws and defended him unto his firing and far, far beyond. That's why I still chime in about it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure Haley should get credit, but not for what you have implird. Haley gets credit for runnung interferevpnce for and taking Warner's side in putting together the offense Warner wanted and not what Whisenhunt put together.

IF you can remember, during the Cards offense during Whisenhunt's first training camp and pre-season where he had the QB competition between Warner and Leinart was a 50/50 run/pass standard Steeler type offense that Warner handled and Leinart struggled with. After Leinart melted down in his last pre-season start against the Raiders, Whisenhunt had to declare Warner the starter by default.

After Warner was declared the starter, Warner got Haley to agree to begin changing the offense to suit his talents and particular skills. As the story goes, Whisenhunt did not like that at all, but Haley took Warner's side and got Whisenhunt to agree to try it on in interim basis to see if Warner's offense was better than Whisenhunt's designed offense. There were even several news stories of these big changes along with Haley gushing on how Warner would come in every week with new plays designed to attack this week's opponent' defense. The stories left out any mention of Whisenhunt being in the loop in formulating each week's offensive game plan. These stories are still out there on the Internet and all tell how Haley went to bat for Warner against Whisenhunt's resistence to change the Cards' offense to suit Warner. That is why Haley gets credit for making it possible for Warner to play at the top levels of the NFL again. Check it out, those reports are still out there. Just as Whisenhunt had no success after Warner left, Haley had no success as a head coach for many reasons including he did not have a former NFL MVP to take control of KC offense and attack opponents' defenses.

Joe Montana found greatness in Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, but Montana would never have done well in the Raiders's big pass offense, so that is why is was crucial for Warner to have an offensive system like the one he formulated in St Louis and the one he made here with the help of Todd Haley who ran interference for him with Whisenhunt and Graves.

BTW, I wonder if Warner's arm would have been big enough for BA since BA's offense is built around the big passing play attack.

Warner had a much stronger arm than Palmer. Whiz had great season in San Diego last year, good enough that it made him one of the top head coaching candidates last summer, and the rest of what you posted is not backed by anything but your opinion, some of it is absolultely false. Sych as Whiz having no success post Haley.

The 2009 Arizona Cardinals might not have made the Super Bowl but they were a better team than the 2008 squad... and Haley was gone! I swear... the people that love Haley/hate Whiz team to conveniently forget the entire 2009 season, or just pretend he was still there.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If you still hold a grudge against Whisenhunt, you have issues--get over it.

I gots the issues, and can't get over it, so oh well, guess you will have to deal with it. :D

Funny, do not you include the people whom are not being negative about this. Its only issues if you have negatives to say about the guy, yet there are no problems with the original post stating, two years later, we will regret letting go of Whiz, and all look the fools and right soon ?

Just sayin'

Light a match next to gasoline and then complain there is a fire is kinda silly too!

Oh, and Whiz sure is showing us all what real coaching is all about. I am waiting for one of his signature 6 game losing streaks soon.

The system works.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the impetus is less a grudge against KW than it is that so many people steadfastly refused to accept that KW had any flaws and defended him unto his firing and far, far beyond. That's why I still chime in about it.

This. So much this.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This thread is nothing more than confirmation on a weekly basis, that Whiz is... who most of us thought he was.

The system does NOT work unless he has an ALL-Pro under center, and his track record for identifying said QB says it all.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cracks me up we're still talking about Whiz after being 6-1 with BA. Hahaha. There's no BA thread. Funny. ;)

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let the haters hate.

You must be registered for see images

It's not hatred, it's validation to the people who saw through Whiz and his BS... And the people clinging to Whiz's jock while "the system" was continuing it's downward spiral don't like it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's not hatred, it's validation to the people who saw through Whiz and his BS... And the people clinging to Whiz's jock while "the system" was continuing it's downward spiral don't like it.
I think it's more likely called cherry-picking. Were you "validated" in 2007-2009 and 2011, while never finishing lower than 2nd in the division and two division titles, or only 2010 and 2012? Because those are the only 2 years he had a losing record in Arizona.

Or maybe it's the .667 winning % in the playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The success of any Head Coach is largely determined by his players, his coaching staff and his front office. I don't understand why some people are holding Whiz to a standard that no other coach would be held to. He did good things for us but he was far from perfect. We were better because he came here and we are better now without him.

Steve

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

LMAO.. are you really going there?

My gawd you're right!... He's just a hair below Belichick!!! (.679)
And dead even with the great Chuck Knoll!

ALSO...

Tied with the great Rex Ryan!

I can't wait to see who wins another playoff game next! :grabs:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
LMAO.. are you really going there?

My gawd you're right!... He's just a hair below Belichick!!! (.679)
And dead even with the great Chuck Knoll!

ALSO...

Tied with the great Rex Ryan!

I can't wait to see who wins another playoff game next! :grabs:

You must be registered for see images attach
Still would like to see you backup your 'validation' without cherry picking 2 years. But nice way to avoid what you had said.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think it's more likely called cherry-picking. Were you "validated" in 2007-2009 and 2011, while never finishing lower than 2nd in the division and two division titles, or only 2010 and 2012? Because those are the only 2 years he had a losing record in Arizona.

I looked from the beginning until the end.

Warner got the team to the Superbowl and the playoffs, and Whiz.....well, he made sure we went through all the QB's in the league before the next coach came in so we knew which ones not to bring in.

At least that is my take. :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Warner got the team to the Superbowl and the playoffs, and Whiz.....well, he made sure we went through all the QB's in the league before the next coach came in so we knew which ones not to bring in.

:lmao:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

:D nicely done .

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still would like to see you backup your 'validation' without cherry picking 2 years. But nice way to avoid what you had said.

What is I need to "back up"?

It's simple, before Warner's resurgence.. Whiz was a bumbling incompetent HC, When Warner left We saw the real coach KW, the same one we'll see from here on out until he loses his second and last HC position.

It's MY opinion (and several others here) that Warner had success in Az IN SPITE of coach KW, you're obviously in the camp that thinks it was BECAUSE of Whiz.

Hopefully you don't take my Whiz bantering personal...Between Pendy and Grimm AND his ridiculous handling of QB's... I just really DISLIKE the guy as a HC and I will never give him the credit that some of you think he deserves.

Plain and simple.. If Warner wasn't a "Born again QB", we would have been no better than the slop we see in Tennessee.

*edit to add

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is I need to "back up"?

It's simple, before Warner's resurgence.. Whiz was a bumbling incompetent HC, When Warner left We saw the real coach KW, the same one we'll see from here on out until he loses his second and last HC position.

Whiz first job as a head coach was with the Cardinals. How could he be a bumbling incompetent HC before being a HC???

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Whis: a fine head coach.

His problems started when he became the de-facto GM as well. His loyalty to his poorly performing coordinators ( lookin at you Mike Miller) didnt help either.

not the first good coach to be brought down by GM duties

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Name a team or HC that can win in today's NFL without a legit QB.

BA is on his way to being the best HC this team has ever had. Whiz holds the #1 spot because he was the HC when we won two Division titles and an NFC Championship game.
Coryell would be #1 but he couldn't win in the playoffs.

I won't argue long or hard in defending Whiz's ability to acquire QB talent but I will say that he named Warner the starter over Leinart which was obviously the right choice. Warner was dumped by the Rams and then the Giants and couldn't win games in Arizona until Whiz was hired and he then hire Haley as his OC.

Why I agreed that Whiz had to go was because of the inability to find or develop a legit QB and his refusal to get rid of Grimm. I'll add not drafting any Oline talent. How much of that is on Whiz and how much is on Graves is up for debate.

In the NFL every HC gets hired to be eventually fired, there are very few exceptions. Whiz had his time here but a change was needed, sad for me because of everything he helped this team accomplish. Hating on him, I just don't get it.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whis: a fine head coach.

His problems started when he became the de-facto GM as well. His loyalty to his poorly performing coordinators ( lookin at you Mike Miller) didnt help either.

not the first good coach to be brought down by GM duties

I agree with most of this but do we really know he was a de-facto GM? He had final say on who was on the 53 man roster but does that mean he could draft or sign any FA that he wanted? I don't think that was the case but he could cut a Leinart when they went all whiney and showed they had not guts or a weak work effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison