The Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, what needs to happen for them to make it in?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, what needs to happen for them to make it in?

Win or tie and we are in.

If we lose, we must not lose by a total of 3 goals to Ghana and 6 goals to Portugal.

So if we lose 1-0 against Germany and Ghana wins 2-0, then Ghana would go though.

That is the simplest way to explain it.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will not watch the rest of this world cup after the Suarez bite no call and the BS red card. If Suarez isn't suspended for the rest of the cup FIFA will have no respect from me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Respect isn't really high up on FIFA priorities, but I agree, that has to be a suspension from this tournament and much longer considering he has a history of this. WTH is wrong with him?

http://gfycat.com/SeveralZigzagAlbertosaurus
http://4.vgc.no/drfront/images/2014/06/24/w=588;h=375;156838.jpg (picture of bite marks)

https://vine.co/v/MtJHezKiFt6

As for the red card? That was a stupid challenge, right in front of the ref, which probably made it look much worse. Totally uncalled for, and considering where he was, the red card doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Who is more likely to bite you? During Uruguay's World Cup match against Italy, Uruguay forward Luis Suarez appeared to bite an opponent for a THIRD time! Compare his record to a dusky shark's-- only two bites in the last 430 years!

Love this.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Suarez is banned for 4 months from any football related activity.

Also banned for 9 international games starting against Columbio and continuing in the next World Cup should Uruguay qualify. If they don't qualify for 2018 the ban will carry on.

In other news the weather in Recife is terrible but the game won't be postponed. The pitch still looks "ok" - everything else is under water

https://twitter.com/ZDFsport/status/482125996188266496/photo/1

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Good for FIFA for coming down hard on Suarez. I would have been harder on him, but this is pretty good.

As for the big match, I don't agree with JK in putting Gonzalez into the lineup. Davis? Okay, I'm not a big fan, but whatever. Bedoya's probably on life support by now lol With Gonzalez, we're changing a back 4 that's still trying to gel, and this won't help. If he'd have come on in place of Besler, I could understand it, with him struggling with the hammy. Oh well, I won't complain, as for now, in JK I trust.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just to be safe, Germany should play their B team.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yellow on the ref!! The German kits are pretty sweet btw.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Halftimes:

USA 0, Germany 0
Portugal 1, Ghana 0

I can live with that holding up

Stout

Reaction score
As good as Germany is playing, I'm ok with our defense so far.

Absolutely. We survived the initial onslaught, kept in the game, didn't concede, and began possessing the ball. I'm fine with the game plan thus far, keeping possession well, trying not to be too ambitious, picking our spots to go forward. Davis should be subbed at halftime, I think. Provided no cover for Beasley and had to be moved to the other side so Zusi could provide that cover, which he did very well. Davis has had no impact, so sub him out. After a terrible start, Gonzalez has played well. Had to give up that yellow, really, taking one for the team.

I'd bring in Bedoya for Davis. If it gets late and it's still 0-0, or we're up, or we're pretty well guaranteed to advance as results stand, then sub Jones out. On a yellow and has given it his all, so give him a break. I'd also take Dempsey out late, depending on how things stand. Get Wondo some game time and save Dempsey as well. Again, this is very dependent on how things stand late in the game.

So far, I'm quite happy. USA!!!

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
As good as Germany is playing, I'm ok with our defense so far.

Yep, after the first 20 minutes or so we seemed to settle down and attack a bit.

If we could somehow get the first goal after the half, it would be such a relief. It would almost guarantee our advancement.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Omar started off shaky, but then settled pretty well. Beasley had a spectacular run that was like old times, and Jermaine has been all over the pitch. Also like Zusi's movement.

You're right, Davis and his special left foot have been nonexistent. Also seeing Bradley make a lot of bad mistakes again. Not to beat a dead horse, but Landon was worse than THAT leading up to the World Cup??

Stout

Reaction score
Omar started off shaky, but then settled pretty well. Beasley had a spectacular run that was like old times, and Jermaine has been all over the pitch. Also like Zusi's movement.

You're right, Davis and his special left foot have been nonexistent. Also seeing Bradley make a lot of bad mistakes again. Not to beat a dead horse, but Landon was worse than THAT leading up to the World Cup??

Yeah, Jermaine Jones is my man of the tourney for the U.S. so far. I know, I know, I'm a broken record about it, but man, has he matured to beast mode.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, Jermaine Jones is my man of the tourney for the U.S. so far. I know, I know, I'm a broken record about it, but man, has he matured to beast mode.

Not Beckerman? :D I like what I've seen from Johnson as well.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I thought Beckerman did well holding, but that's about it. Nothing bad, but nothing overly good either.

I don't know if it is Beckerman or what he is asked to do but he almost always goes square or backward with every pass. He rarely ever looks to move forward first with the ball.

He is playing better than I expected but still not one of my favorites.

My favorite player on the team (Bradley) is having a miserable tournament so far.

Jones, Johnson and Dempsey have been the best US players so far.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Can anyone remember one thing that Brad Davis did of significance today?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
You get the feeling this result will stand and Ghana will kick the winning goal in stoppage time?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen