RM's Mid-season Grades: Defense

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Let's do it.

Defense:
Overall Defense grade: B+

Overall the defense has been unreal. It has tapered off a little since the beginning of the season, but the defense is still getting turnovers, it is still causing fumbles, it is still coming up with key 3 and outs, and our pass defense is 3rd in the league. Imagine the pass defensive stats for this team if it could just stop the big play more. Of course the weakness that teams are picking up on, is that you can run on this defense. Not every opponent can, but they try and will continue to try since it seems to be the only ***** in the armor.

Yet, this defense is fast, aggressive, and fun to watch. There is room for improvement too, which is even more exciting to think about. My happy thought of the day: Patrick Peterson: Age 22, Daryl Washington: Age 26, and Calias Campell: Age 26. That is quite a triple threat the Cardinals have here in AZ.

Defensive Line:
Overall Grade:B

Calais Campbell: Grade A
Highly respected throughout the league, and only getting better by the game. Campbell is not only creating pressure on the QB with offenses focusing on stopping him and him alone, he has become a better player against the run. The only thing I can see him doing better is bringing the QB down for a sack when he gets to the QB. Biggest move of the season we resigning the keystone of the defense to an extension.

Darnell Dockett: Grade B+
Funny to think of Dockett as an old player, but he is getting up there in terms of NFL football players. Still has a great first step off the snap that gives offenses fits. Yet, it is the same first step that many teams exploit by the "vertical hole" it creates sometime. A healthy Dockett was playing so fast, and well that he could recover and make a tackle when coming to far up field, and an unhealthy Dockett has not been able to do so. Best thing 90 has improved upon this year, is he is acting like a mature leader of the team.

Dan Williams: Grade B
He only plays a few snaps a game, and ends up playing more when we are losing because that is when most teams run against us. He is not playing at a 1st rnd pick level, but he has made a leap in his game this year. He has had a couple nice plays against the run in clutch situation, and has shown his quickness has improved. Yet, he IS the key component when it comes to stopping the run. Where Campbell and Dockett are the only two linemen on most passing plays, and our defense is top 3 against the pass, our defense is less stout against the run, thus Williams takes on that criticism.

David Carter:Grade D-
Has anyone vanished faster than David Carter ? Kid was making plays last year, this year he looks like someone who Bryan Robinson could come back and play over. No quickness, no big plays.

Nick Eason: Grade C
Eason has filled in, and is doing what is asked of him to do. He is playing to the level one would expect of a player at his age and position. Yet, the drop off from Dockett to him is considerable.

Vonnie Holliday: Grade C+
See Nick Eason above. Yet, Holliday seems to be more focused this year, and better at playing off the bench. Has gotten some pressure, and playing within the scheme very well. IMO, Holliday is our best depth player off the bench.

Others: Daryl Talley = Inc.

Linebackers:
Overall Grade:B-

Daryl Washington: Grade A+
You tell me what Washington is doing poorly and I will take this A+ from him. He makes most tackles, and yes, here and there are a few he misses one but Washington is all over the field, and our biggest pass rushing threat. While he has not come up with a huge play in coverage, we know he has that in him as well. That is it. Washington just needs to keep playing at the level he is at or better. My biggest surprise about Washington ? His ability to cause fumbles at key times.

Paris Lenon: Grade C+
He gets the "+" cause he is still a very good leader for this team. He has no business being out on the field during passing downs, and because of the mystery that is Stewart Bradley and the injury to Reggie Walker he has been forced to be in that position. Against the run he is played solid, but like what you expect from an older player sometimes he just can't get to the spot. He knows his job, does a solid job of it, and still can bring the wood when called upon. I am not looking for this old dog to learn new tricks, but at some point he is going to decline to a player that just can't get it done. He needs to be better against the run, and way better in coverage to be a "A or B" type player and that is not the direction his skills are going.

Sam Acho: Grade B-
Hmph. Tough one. Very very tough. Has three sacks on the season. Has only made about 25 tackles. The biggest knock on the guy is the lack of consistent pressure. He is solid against the run, plays smart, makes a play here, and misses a play there. I give him a B- cause he has shown the ability to make a play, and has zero depth behind him, so he is on the field all the time. I could easily give him a C and be comfortable with it though.

O'Brien Schofield: Grade C+
In the beginning of the year he was doing nothing, regardless what the Cardinals website says about him doing his job. Yes, his overall play within the system is better than last year. He improved against the run from Week 1 till his season ending injury. He can provide some pressure, but we need more from him at the position. Not to mention he is now injured again, and eventually those injuries stack up and the next thing you know a player can't get the job done anymore. Schofield is good depth, IMO. This position is becoming a more than a little worrisome and needs to be addressed in the offseason. It is a need that most teams need too. Starting caliber OLB that can pass rush.

Reggie Walker: Grade B-
I honestly feel bad for Walker. Was a dead man walking in the middle of preseason, and just woke up. Picture the adrenaline shot from the movie Pulp Fiction. Just all of a sudden Reggie Walker became that player who would flash from time to time what he can do. He plays very well against the run, can cover way better than I ever expected. You don't think he was that important on defense, but he was that key depth guy that we would put in for Lenon now and again during the first 4 games. At 25 years old, I expect Walker to be given a fair contact of at least 4 years to stick around AZ.

Quentin Groves: Grade C+
Payback. Yes, payback for Alan Branch. We all love the light bulb analogy Whiz used with Alan Branch. Well, Arizona spent 4 years re-wiring Alan Branch so his light bulb would go on, and just when Branch became something of an exceptable NFL player, he was gone to another team. Enter Quentin Groves, who has underachieved every place he has been. Gets to the Cardinals, and something in him clicks, and BAM.... you got a NFL football player. He far Groves takes this situation is up to him. If you look back through his experience he is still raw in the transition from DE to OLBer. Groves will be getting a lot of time, and probably will be starting at OLBer for the rest of the year. This should be very interesting. Guy has all the ability in the world physically. Mentally is where he needs to be polished. Would love to see our depth in 2013 be Groves and Schofield. Groves has been a pleasant surprise this season.

Stewart Bradley: Grade D
I dunno. Just don't know what to say. Preseason it looked like we had our new starting ILBer. Have only seen him in special teams so far. Just do not know what the deal is here. I would say Bradley would see the field more after Schofield's injury........but why? It seems they would put Early Doucet at LB before Bradley sees the field again.

Jamall Westerman: Grade Inc
We will see what Westerman can do. He will see playing time. Played 3 years with the Jets as depth at the OLBer position

Zack Nash: Grade Inc
All I know about this kid, is that Mitch really likes this guy, and he is supposedly a good special teams player.

Defensive Backs:
Overall Grade:B-

Adrian Wilson: Grade B+
This grade might be a little high for Wilson. Right now I am not sure where his head is at. He says the right things in the locker room, and he is playing his butt off. Yet, I feel the tinge of frustration, and yes this is pure speculation on my part. His play has leveled off from the beginning of the year when he seemed like he was every where. Still has the ability to make the big play, or the big hit. Still top of the line safety and his coverage skills have been better than in past years. Yet, he is the man on this defense and it seems like this game has reflected the Cardinals playoff chances. The better they are the better he plays, the farther away those hopes get, his game goes down a bit.

Kerry Rhodes: Grade A-
The guy is having another good year for us. Makes big plays and big situations. He is our FS and is never going to be a tackling machine but he has done well in coverage and is that perfect blend of size, speed and agility to cover TE's and big slot WR's. When he is injured there seems to be more big plays against this defense.

Patrick Peterson: Grade B
The kid is getting too much flak this year. Cornerback is a tough position to play, and in his 2nd year Peterson is playing the role of #1 cornerback. There have been some serious game-losing mistakes. Yet, there have been some amazing game winning plays, and if we had an offense worth a poop, there would be more than just the one INT he had in NE that won a game for this team. There is much to learn for the CB who is clearly pressing and trying to do too much, and with that being said, imagine what this team will have when he does improve.

William Gay: Grade C
William Gay has been exactly what we thought he would be. He is a very average NFL cornerback that understands the system he is in. He does everything well, but nothing great. I am one of the few that is happy with his acquisition, and though I want him to be supplanted as the CB#2 on this team, I am fine with him being our nickel back or dime back. As a starter, he has been what his grade shows.

Greg Toler: Grade C+
Greg Toler has some very very bad luck. Gets put into a system where he should thrive, and can't stay healthy. I was very excited to see him get some time this year and do well. Yet, again, was hurt and hasn't seen the field since. This is a career at its cross roads, IMO. Toler could easily come back and be an option at CB, or he could be out of the league in less than a year.

Jamell Flemming: Grade C
That is a tough grade to give a rookie. He deserves better than a "C" for where he is when looking at him from a rookies situation. More times then not he looks like a rookie. Missed tackle here, faked out of his boots there, and bad technique sprinkled over the top. But, man oh man, when he shows what he can do, the looks like the player, who if he can stay the course and improve, that will be across from Peterson for some time to come. He has had a few plays where he looked like he could give Peterson a few pointers on proper technique.

Rashad Johnson: Grade C+
Johnson has played better than he has in the past. He has shown the ability to be a solid back up for us. He still misses way too many tackles, and takes horrible angles. For all his football knowledge he doesn't show it in coverage. I cannot seem him as the answer for who will eventually replace Rhodes or Wilson. Happy to have him, yet wouldn't be sorry to see another player in his spot in the future.

Frank Sanders: Grade C+
The compliment to Rashad Johnson yet his role is better defined within the team, and has done well with whatever is asked of him. He is doing his job and doing it well, IMO. He is not going to be the guy you want starting by when your starter goes down, you are happy to have him. He even got a bonus this year for being the recipient of a good bounce that gave him a 90+ fumble return TD. I would love to see Sanders stick around for a few years. Solid backup, with solid skills.

Justin Bethel: Grade D+
Another tough grade for a rookie, but when you keep a player like Bethel to be a special teams ace, he has to do his job. He flashed his skills at the beginning of the season, but has been very silent, and when talked about it usually is for some penalty. Again, we are talking about a rookie who has probably hit the rookie wall and hard. Yet, he has to show a lot more, IMO, to be not only on the 53 man roster, but to be active on game day. With so much reliance on special teams to be a weapon this year, it has not been that.

Michael Adams: Grade C
Kinda of tired of this moxie player. Still does pretty well on specials teams, and still plays his butt off when asked to play as a DB. Yet, still gets beat more times then not in coverage. He gets a "C" because for your 5th CB on the roster he is better than most. Yet, if he were to be looked at as the 4th CB on the roster I would probably have him as a "D". As for special teams, I have not seen anything out of Adams and he doesn't get the rookie excuse that Bethel receives.

Coaching: Grade: A+
Ray Horton has shown to come up with great game plans to stop any offense. as it stands players wise he has had "B-" talent, and has gotten "A" results out of them. He keeps players accountable, he puts in players whom he thinks will produce results, and while fair gives a pretty quick hook to whomever players he feels are not getting the job done. Third best passing defense in the league, has a offense so bad they his defense has to play and succeed in spite of it. Even more so, the special teams has given little to no help to the defensive side of the ball as well. All success is funneling through the defensive play of this team, and Horton is the guy who is getting the job done week in, and week out. Horton has been a great coach for this team.

For Mid-Season Offensive Grades: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/rms-mid-season-grades-offense-187114.html#post2735619

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Campbell - A
Dockett - C+ (above average production is indisputable)
Dan Williams - C- (For a guy whose job is too stop the run, he has struggled)
David Carter - C
Nick Eason - C
Vonnie Holliday - C

Daryl Washginton - A+
Paris Lenon - C+
Sam Acho - B- (Isn't making the plays he needs to)
Schfield - C+ (was making plays, but got injured)
Reggie Walker - C
Quinton Groves - C- (too many penalties)
Stewart Bradley - F

Patrick Peterson - B (above average play, though not up to his potential)
William Gay - D (brought in to be #2 CB, has underwhelmed)
Jamell Flemming - C (Ok work when given chance, looks like rookie)
Greg Toler - D (can't get back from injury is a big issue)
Mike Adams - D (can't find him on the field)
Adrian Wilson - C- (is leaving plays on the field, missing tackles)
Kerry Rhodes - B- (makes plays, but leaves some on the field as well)
Rashad Johnson - C
Justin Bethel - C
James Sanders - C

Overall, our defense gets a B-. They have underperformed for their talent by leaving plays to be made on the field and playing outside of their responsibilities. They are above average as a unit, but have room to improve with current personnel.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Campbell - B
Dockett - C+
Dan Williams - C
David Carter - C-
Nick Eason - C-
Vonnie Holliday - C
Daryl Washginton - A+
Paris Lenon - D+
Sam Acho - B-
Schofield - B-
Reggie Walker - C+
Quinton Groves - C+
Stewart Bradley - F
Patrick Peterson - B+
William Gay - B- (He has done WAY better than expected. But still sucks)
Jamell Flemming - D+
Greg Toler - D
Mike Adams - C
Adrian Wilson - C
Kerry Rhodes - B
Rashad Johnson - C
Justin Bethel - D
James Sanders - C-

Overall: A-

Despite our record, you cant ignore that this D was one of the best in the NFL at one point. Theyve slipped a little, but they are still, easily, top 10.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you guys are overrating Acho. He has been a nonfactor in most games this season. Schofield has been a bit better.

OLB is underwhelming and I think the team needs to continue to explore improving it. Acho and Schofield are really good backups, but neither of them will ever be good starters.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Nice write up Rugby. I happen to agree on most of the grades. I too wonder whats up with Bradley.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think you guys are overrating Acho. He has been a nonfactor in most games this season. Schofield has been a bit better.

OLB is underwhelming and I think the team needs to continue to explore improving it. Acho and Schofield are really good backups, but neither of them will ever be good starters.

I feel the opposite. I think Schofield is a career backup with a little pass rushing ability. I think Acho has been pretty solid and is big, fast, and smart.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I feel the opposite. I think Schofield is a career backup with a little pass rushing ability. I think Acho has been pretty solid and is big, fast, and smart.

I think they're on the wrong sides. Acho is better suited in size and strength to play the strong side like Clark Haggans did and Sam keeps contain well. Schofield seems to be quicker and would do better rushing from the weakside.

Could be Acho plays the weakside because when Porter was hurt Sam was the most ready to step and and so there he is.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think they're on the wrong sides. Acho is better suited in size and strength to play the strong side like Clark Haggans did and Sam keeps contain well. Schofield seems to be quicker and would do better rushing from the weakside.

Could be Acho plays the weakside because when Porter was hurt Sam was the most ready to step and and so there he is.

Solid take, and you are correct here.

Acho is literally a clone of Clark Haggans in his heyday.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Overall: A-

Despite our record, you cant ignore that this D was one of the best in the NFL at one point. Theyve slipped a little, but they are still, easily, top 10.

You give 16 of the 23 players a grade of C or worse but the Defense gets an A-

That seems odd.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Campbell - A
Dockett - C+ (above average production is indisputable)
Dan Williams - C- (For a guy whose job is too stop the run, he has struggled)
David Carter - C
Nick Eason - C
Vonnie Holliday - C

Daryl Washginton - A+
Paris Lenon - C+
Sam Acho - B- (Isn't making the plays he needs to)
Schfield - C+ (was making plays, but got injured)
Reggie Walker - C
Quinton Groves - C- (too many penalties)
Stewart Bradley - F

Patrick Peterson - B (above average play, though not up to his potential)
William Gay - D (brought in to be #2 CB, has underwhelmed)
Jamell Flemming - C (Ok work when given chance, looks like rookie)
Greg Toler - D (can't get back from injury is a big issue)
Mike Adams - D (can't find him on the field)
Adrian Wilson - C- (is leaving plays on the field, missing tackles)
Kerry Rhodes - B- (makes plays, but leaves some on the field as well)
Rashad Johnson - C
Justin Bethel - C
James Sanders - C

Overall, our defense gets a B-. They have underperformed for their talent by leaving plays to be made on the field and playing outside of their responsibilities. They are above average as a unit, but have room to improve with current personnel.

Spot on, would give the defense a B- as well, perfect assessment.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You give 16 of the 23 players a grade of C or worse but the Defense gets an A-

That seems odd.

As a more general point with everyone who has offered their ratings, it seems that the overall rating for the defense is higher than the average of the individual ratings for all of the players, which does seem a bit odd (though the starters/star players definitely impact the overall rating more than the backups). I think that speaks to the defensive coaching, which Rugby gave an A+ too, and hard to disagree given the way that we have played a majority of the year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As a more general point with everyone who has offered their ratings, it seems that the overall rating for the defense is higher than the average of the individual ratings for all of the players, which does seem a bit odd (though the starters/star players definitely impact the overall rating more than the backups). I think that speaks to the defensive coaching, which Rugby gave an A+ too, and hard to disagree given the way that we have played a majority of the year.

So then according to ASFN the Cardinals can coach up inferior talent on Defense but not on the offensive line? :D

machgman

Veteran
Reaction score
Regarding Adrian Wilson, unless he is hurt, again, and not communicating this to the coaching staff, again, then he is really on the downhill slope of his career. We have seen Wilson ducking making tackles and being two steps slower than before on pass coverage. We now see the signs that the old warrior has dropped off his peak and is heading downward, fast and faster. Make no mistake, the opposing players no longer look for Wilson to avoid him. The opponents' offensive coordinators even look to attack him and are finding it easier to neutralize him. Sure he is going to get credit for some tackles and assists here and there, but when was the last time he blew up a play and dusted some other team's players? Seems his exploits were done ages ago.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I think it is more to the fact that our players have actually been under-performing on defense this year. Adrian Wilson has not been the impact player he was last year, Dockett has not had a couple big games, Acho has been hidden, and Peterson and the other CBs haven't taken the step that many thought they would. IMO, I think the Cards will have to take a long look at the defense this offseason and determine if it is age or just a fluke with some of these guys. Facts are our defense needs an influx of young talent if it is going to continue to be the strength of this team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that Justin Bethel has really taken a step back and been as disappointing as you could fear. I don't really care that he doesn't see the field on the defense--he shouldn't. But as a special teams player, and especially a gunner and primary blocker on the punt units, he's been a real disappointment.

His inability to open up space on punt returns has been a primary reason that Patrick Peterson hasn't found as many open seams even when teams punt to him.

Really disappointing for a guy who showed so much promise early in the year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I think that Acho is a good starter, as you say later. Schofield is a nice situational guy, but someone you'd love to upgrade every offseason. Looks like he'll be back, and he brings value on special teams, IMO.

I'd love to upgrade the OLB spot, but I still don't think that the scouting staff knows what it wants at this position. Passing on Brooks Reed for Ryan Williams was absolutely criminal, IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think that Acho is a good starter, as you say later. Schofield is a nice situational guy, but someone you'd love to upgrade every offseason. Looks like he'll be back, and he brings value on special teams, IMO.

I'd love to upgrade the OLB spot, but I still don't think that the scouting staff knows what it wants at this position. Passing on Brooks Reed for Ryan Williams was absolutely criminal, IMO.

I agree with this and Reed was the reason I wasn't stocked about the Ryan Williams move. Hopefully the Cards bring in Khalil Mack out of Buffalo with a third round pick as he plays OLB already, has 202 tackles over the past three seasons along with 50 TFL, 15.5 sacks and 9 forced fumbles. He is a monster.

With Tyler Wilson's stock plummeting it may be more feasible to draft a guy like Chance Warmack (OG Alabama) in the first, trade a 2014 pick to move up from our second pick to take Tyler Wilson and then upgrade the defense after.

A draft of
1a-Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama
1b-Tyler Wilson - QB - Arkansas
3-Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo
4-Margus Hunt - DE - SMU
5-Kiko Alonso - ILB - Oregon
6-Kyle Long - OG/OT - Oregon
7-Quanterus Smith - OLB - Western Kentucky

would go a long way to upgrade the weaknesses on our team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with this and Reed was the reason I wasn't stocked about the Ryan Williams move. Hopefully the Cards bring in Khalil Mack out of Buffalo with a third round pick as he plays OLB already, has 202 tackles over the past three seasons along with 50 TFL, 15.5 sacks and 9 forced fumbles. He is a monster.

With Tyler Wilson's stock plummeting it may be more feasible to draft a guy like Chance Warmack (OG Alabama) in the first, trade a 2014 pick to move up from our second pick to take Tyler Wilson and then upgrade the defense after.

A draft of
1a-Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama
1b-Tyler Wilson - QB - Arkansas
3-Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo
4-Margus Hunt - DE - SMU
5-Kiko Alonso - ILB - Oregon
6-Kyle Long - OG/OT - Oregon
7-Quanterus Smith - OLB - Western Kentucky

would go a long way to upgrade the weaknesses on our team.

Bleargh. If we end up drafting Top 12, I have a really hard time believing that an offensive guard. But CBSSportsline.com has his rated as the #7 prospect in the draft, so what do I know?

If Jarvis Jones or Bjoern Werner are available at 9th overall and the Cards are on the clock?

Also, at 6'2", 322, I don't think this team will believe that Warmack is mobile enough to play in this system. Maybe as an RG, but until I see some postseason film on him, I'm going to bet that this staff discounts his size and his ability to transition to our power-O run offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bleargh. If we end up drafting Top 12, I have a really hard time believing that an offensive guard. But CBSSportsline.com has his rated as the #7 prospect in the draft, so what do I know?

If Jarvis Jones or Bjoern Werner are available at 9th overall and the Cards are on the clock?

Also, at 6'2", 322, I don't think this team will believe that Warmack is mobile enough to play in this system. Maybe as an RG, but until I see some postseason film on him, I'm going to bet that this staff discounts his size and his ability to transition to our power-O run offense.

When you watch film on Warmack you will be shocked at how well he moves. Probably on par with DeCastro last year, but more powerful at point of attack. He reminds me a bit of Larry Allen with better movement ability and less strength, but a great combination of the two.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When you watch film on Warmack you will be shocked at how well he moves. Probably on par with DeCastro last year, but more powerful at point of attack. He reminds me a bit of Larry Allen with better movement ability and less strength, but a great combination of the two.

There are some pretty great YouTube posters who do great cut-ups of these prospects after the college season is complete. I remember really liking Cordy Glenn as both OG and OT when I watched these cut-ups last year.

I'll check them out when they come, but it seems to me that this staff is pretty married to the size/weight combinations that they look for in prospects.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some pretty great YouTube posters who do great cut-ups of these prospects after the college season is complete. I remember really liking Cordy Glenn as both OG and OT when I watched these cut-ups last year.

I'll check them out when they come, but it seems to me that this staff is pretty married to the size/weight combinations that they look for in prospects.
You posted a great one of Daryl Washington at some point, right?

:)

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score

Warmack looks good for sure. I think he goes late first round. I would like us to take one of the tackles with our first round pick and then if we wanted Warmack trade back up to get him. I really think though that if we take say Lewan with our first pick we then could shift Levi Brown over to either guard spot. If we were to trade back up and take Warmack as well our line could look like this.

LT Taylor Lewan
LG Chance Warmack
C Lyle Sendlein
RG Levi Brown
RT Bobby Massie

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison