Grade the Suns off season

How would you grade the Suns off season overall?

• Total voters

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In an off season where the Suns (finally) decided to part ways with Steve Nash and Grant Hill and rebuild by acquiring young players and draft picks, fans have been both optimistic and pessimistic about it all.

Suns drafted Kendall Marshall with the 13th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8170658/phoenix-suns-sign-point-guard-kendall-marshall-rookie-deal

Wanting to be closer to his family, the Suns awarded him his wish and traded Steve Nash to the Lakers for four draft picks -- first rounders in 2013 and 2015 and second rounders in 2013 and 2014.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ash-headed-los-angeles-lakers-sign-trade-deal

Even though he wanted to return, the Suns let Grant Hill walk as a free agent.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...lippers-despite-desire-stay-phoenix-suns.html

Suns signed Goran Dragic to a 4 year $30 million deal (with incentives of $1M/yr for making the All Star team)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...gic-phoenix-suns-agree-34-million-4-year-deal

Suns signed Michael Beasley to a 3 year $18 million deal

http://www.nba.com/suns/suns-sign-michael-beasley

Suns claimed Luis Scola off the amnesty wavers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4690956/suns-make-winning-bid-for-luis-scola

Suns resigned Shannon Brown to a 2 year $7 million deal with only half of the 2nd year being guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/226442328368369664

---

There likely will be a few more moves going forward but I think its fair to say that there won't be anymore "major" signings or acquisitions.

IMO considering the extreme circumstances, I give the Suns a "B". I wasn't a fan of drafting Kendall Marshall but I'm content with all the other moves.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I will give them a solid B.

First off- they blew it up. Nash and Hill are gone, and they can start rebuilding.

They managed to get four draft picks (crappy as they may be) for Nash who, I though, was going to walk for nothing.

I am not a fan of Beasley, but he does have some potential, and his contract is not terrible. If I remember correctly, it is not fully guaranteed, though I could be wrong about that. If he shows any signs of life, he might be a good asset to trade for another player.

Brown showed some progress last year, and I am OK with the contract he got. He's a one-year rental, that can be waived or traded.

I like Dragic a lot. I think he will be a solid starting PG. His contract is not terrible enough to cause serious issues if things don't work out. It's a little more than I think is reasonable, but I am pretty sure he'll develop into a solid starter.

Not really crazy about Marshall, but I'm going to wait and see what happens. If he can develop into a decent backup PG, I will be happy.

Don't like Scola, but at less than $4M per year, with the last season not being fully guaranteed, he is a very nice asset for potential trades. I can see Scola being one of the pieces we offer OKC in exchange for Harden next summer.

Overall, I think the Suns did a very nice job of adding some low-risk, high-reward players (Beasley, Dragic), players on good contracts that can easily be traded (Scola, Brown), and four draft picks (crappy as they may be.) All this will allow them to continue to be a player in the free agent market, as well as allow them the flexibility in trades.

Having given them a solid B, I think it's way too early to really give a grade. We'll see what happens with Beasley and Dragic, we'll see if Scola and Brown get us anything in potential trades, and we'll see how they handle those draft picks.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like it. I gave a "B" as well. They acquired good pieces in Dragic and Beasley. I love those two moves. They will be bad enough to get a high pick but exciting enough for me to watch. Id rather watch these young guys develop and win 25 games than watch the old suns win 40.

They maintained their flexibility which is very important.

Im on the fence about Scola. By the time the Suns are relevant he will be gone or too old so it doesnt really help for a team planning for the future. Also, the way Kieff has played in the summer league, i kind of would have rather seen him start. But Scola came at a good price so i cant blame the FO for gerting a little bit better

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not really crazy about Marshall, but I'm going to wait and see what happens. If he can develop into a decent backup PG, I will be happy.
Yea I'm kinda starting to wish that we drafted Terrence Jones instead.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If tanking, I would give a B-. If they are trying to put together a competitive team then I have to go a D, maybe a C- at best. But, I voted D.

Beasley-Big question mark.
Dragic-Not as enamored as some seem to be on this signing. I believe this may be a really bad signing by the time it's all over.
Scola-Really? El Floppo Grande himself. Yuck.
Marshall-Question this pick in light of the Dragic signing. But, could be a good pick if he develops.
Shannon Brown-reasonable deal and a decent signing. Hate it if he ends up the starting shooting guard.

Not looking good IMO.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd rank them some where right above the middies man, decent to good, not too old, not exactly up their with your L.A. Confidentials types, but better than the some of the other stuff I see folks buying into or that aren't buying anything at all. That Nash was pretty potent, the Amare was real nice but usually came with a headache, I hear the same thing about the Mellow. Gortat has to be my favorite now, always been a sucker for that overseas shihot. Some solid middies is what we have added to some solid middies. Solid middies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If tanking, I would give a B-. If they are trying to put together a competitive team then I have to go a D, maybe a C- at best. But, I voted D.

Beasley-Big question mark.
Dragic-Not as enamored as some seem to be on this signing. I believe this may be a really bad signing by the time it's all over.
Scola-Really? El Floppo Grande himself. Yuck.
Marshall-Question this pick in light of the Dragic signing. But, could be a good pick if he develops.
Shannon Brown-reasonable deal and a decent signing. Hate it if he ends up the starting shooting guard.

Not looking good IMO.

I think Scola may turn out to be one of the most important signings as he can play the 4/5 letting the Suns pursue trade options with Lopez and Frye now or later on near the trading deadline. I wish I could think of a situation of moving Warrick without giving up draft picks.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warrick is an expiring so it shouldn't be that hard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I voted C. Yeah they saved money but they did not add any real quality options for key rebuilding pieces. They need better picks and better players. Definitely incomplete.

Is there enogh room to sign a max free agent next year?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted C. Yeah they saved money but they did not add any real quality options for key rebuilding pieces. They need better picks and better players. Definitely incomplete.

Is there enogh room to sign a max free agent next year?

I think the Suns can manipulate their way there but I think sign and trades are the wave of the future with the tougher CAP.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Suns can manipulate their way there but I think sign and trades are the wave of the future with the tougher CAP.

Yea there was definitley more sign-and-trades this offseason. I think its good, it benefits the small market teams when their big FAs want to leave

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a B+.

I thought we needed to get rid of Nash, we did and got two first round picks. Positive.

I also thought we needed to be terrible going into this season. Our starting lineup will be one of the worst in the league. Bonus.

Signing Scola... not crazy about this move, but maybe he can be a good piece of a trade next year. Net Zero.

Beasely... wouldn't have given him three years and I don't think anyone else would have. Negative.

But i firmly believe we will be a level of awful this franchise has never seen. I just hope when we make our high lotto pick, we don't blow on an Adam Morrison.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Saying goodbye to our 39 yr old core immediately upgrades the score. Our average acquisitions rated a "C"....but finally saying goodbye to Nashball brings it up to a solid "B" for me.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
But i firmly believe we will be a level of awful this franchise has never seen. I just hope when we make our high lotto pick, we don't blow on an Adam Morrison.

Dragic is going to have to fall completely flat on his face for this to happen. Otherwise with Gortat, Scola, Beasley, Kief, and Dudley we are going to be about as good as the Rockets the last couple of years, and that's about a .500 ball club.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic is going to have to fall completely flat on his face for this to happen. Otherwise with Gortat, Scola, Beasley, Kief, and Dudley we are going to be about as good as the Rockets the last couple of years, and that's about a .500 ball club.

i completely disagree. this team isn't going to be close to .500.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A friend sent me the updated rosters for NBA 2K12 today (Suns included Lopez and Redd which sounds about right when all is said and done). I thought I'd load it and see what the results of the upcoming season were according to NBA 2K12.

Suns finished 32-50 which left them with the 6th worst record.
Finals were Lakers vs. Heat going 7 games and Heat winning game 7 by 1 point.

I thought it was funny they lost exactly 50 games as some are predicting.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think this really underrates what Nash brought to the team. Nash virtually guaranteed that no matter what else happened, we would run an extremely efficient offense and a lot of guys who can do nothing but shoot if they are open, will get open looks.

Looking at this roster now its hard to pin point anything that they will do well as a unit. They look to be very poor on the glass, poor on defense, no proven distributor, no go to guy on offense, no lock down defenders, one of the less athletic rosters in the league.

Really take a moment and scan over the rosters of the rest of the conference. On paper the only team that I think we clearly beat out is Houston, and that will change if they get Dwight. I'd also list Golden State, because of health, and Sacramento because of chemistry, as two teams we would have a decent chance of finishing higher than. But thats about it.

Anything over 30 wins would be severely over achieving and a testament to Gentry's coaching ability.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A friend sent me the updated rosters for NBA 2K12 today (Suns included Lopez and Redd which sounds about right when all is said and done). I thought I'd load it and see what the results of the upcoming season were according to NBA 2K12.

Suns finished 32-50 which left them with the 6th worst record.
Finals were Lakers vs. Heat going 7 games and Heat winning game 7 by 1 point.

I thought it was funny they lost exactly 50 games as some are predicting.
I don't think Redd will be back. I can't see the Suns signing another old guy.

But I wouldn't be opposed to it though. I think another veteran (with Scola) would be good for the youngsters.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
i completely disagree. this team isn't going to be close to .500.

Ok. I just want someone to show me the diference between Houston with Scola and Dragic and Phoenix with Scola and Dragic. Is Dalembert that much better than Gortat? No. Is Kevin Martin that much better than Dudley? He had a terrible year due to injuries and Lee played a lot who, statistically, is very similar to Dudders. Buddinger over Beasley? I guess if you're Minnesota, but not to anyone else.

So it must be their bench. Parsons and Camby? Maybe their coaching. McHale vs. Gentry? It all seems like a wash to me.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ok. I just want someone to show me the diference between Houston with Scola and Dragic and Phoenix with Scola and Dragic. Is Dalembert that much better than Gortat? No. Is Kevin Martin that much better than Dudley? He had a terrible year due to injuries and Lee played a lot who, statistically, is very similar to Dudders. Buddinger over Beasley? I guess if you're Minnesota, but not to anyone else.

I don't have access to the game logs, but didn't the Rockets win a lot of games with Lowry? And Dragic in Phoenix won't be the same as Dragic in Houston, except occasionally.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So it must be their bench. Parsons and Camby? Maybe their coaching. McHale vs. Gentry? It all seems like a wash to me.

Their big man rotation from last year is significantly better defensively and on the glass than what we are looking at. They had Kyle Lowry for 47 games, Kevin Martin is a better #1 scoring option than anyone on our team. Courtney Lee would have easily been our starting SG, and I think after a year or 2 of Beasley you'd take Buddinger over him too.

And forget Houston, look at last years SUNS and compare them to this year's. Look at how guys played with and without Nash and how much of our offense Nash generated. Nash was our system last year. The Suns having a good offense is not a given anymore.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
what about Lopez and Chilldress will they be back you think? Everyone is down on Lopez but i think he could be a good backup center to Gortat.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't have access to the game logs, but didn't the Rockets win a lot of games with Lowry? And Dragic in Phoenix won't be the same as Dragic in Houston, except occasionally.

Rockets won 57.5% (23/40) of their games with Lowry starting and won 46.4% (13/28) of their games with Dragic starting. The both must have started two games together for the total of games to be 68 in a 66 game season.

This site is pretty good for sortable stats. http://www.basketball-reference.com/

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what about Lopez and Chilldress will they be back you think? Everyone is down on Lopez but i think he could be a good backup center to Gortat.

Childress can not be re-signed by Phoenix for the duration of his amnestied contract. Regardless of that fact, he will never dawn a Suns uniform again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman