Ranked in Both Polls/Momo Pac-10 Player of the Week

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Seems like old times doesn't it? Might be fleeting with three straight roadies on the horizon but barring a complete collapse the Cats likely clinched the 26th NCAA Tournament appearance in 27 years this weekend.

And if Momo and Jordin Mayes keep up this type of play (combined for 50 points this weekend) then Arizona is easily one of the top 15-20 teams in the country. Gotta keep going though remember the Cats were 6-3 in the Pac at this point last year.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Awesome news and I am very happy for Momo.

Gotta get 2 of these next three roadies and we are sitting pretty with an outside chance to take the conference with a win in all 3.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
OSU, what is up with them? Beating UA AND now Washington? Crazy.
Losing to a bad team on the road happens to just about everyone over the course of a year. I'd be shocked if we did not split our next two for that matter.

Either way we're on our way to 23-25 regular season wins and an NCAA Tournament berth. Light years ahead of Andy Katz' seven year rebuilding plan theory. Spectacular job when you look at what Indiana is doing right now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing to a bad team on the road happens to just about everyone over the course of a year. I'd be shocked if we did not split our next two for that matter.

Either way we're on our way to 23-25 regular season wins and an NCAA Tournament berth. Light years ahead of Andy Katz' seven year rebuilding plan theory. Spectacular job when you look at what Indiana is doing right now.

Miller has done a fabulous job but I think if Indiana had a conference rival implode and essentially hand over 3 incoming freshmen who are now starters, one of whom is the best player in the conference, and a lottery pick, that IU would be further along too.

Miller has been great in subsequent recruiting but to be fair if USC doesn't implode they probably only wind up with Hill. Williams and Jones seemed inclined to stay with USC until Floyd bolted, they both knew full well what issues there were when they signed with USC.

I don't know when Katz made his 7 year plan comments but possibly before he knew about Williams, Hill and Jones to UA?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Miller has done a fabulous job but I think if Indiana had a conference rival implode and essentially hand over 3 incoming freshmen who are now starters, one of whom is the best player in the conference, and a lottery pick, that IU would be further along too.

Miller has been great in subsequent recruiting but to be fair if USC doesn't implode they probably only wind up with Hill. Williams and Jones seemed inclined to stay with USC until Floyd bolted, they both knew full well what issues there were when they signed with USC.

I don't know when Katz made his 7 year plan comments but possibly before he knew about Williams, Hill and Jones to UA?

I keep hearing this and no doubt it played a big part of the quickness in our revivial but you make your own luck. Lets keep in mind these were good players but especially Williams, were developed and coached up to the point where Williams is now a lottery pick. No one saw that coming.

With any program you can look at 2-3 players that maybe you shouldn't have gotten or that developed better then you or quicker then you would have thought. Any program that achieves success has some of that "luck".

At the end of the day, what Miller has been able to do with some good but not great prospects is amazing. Bodes well for what he will do when he has NBA talent littered up and down the roster and all indications that process should be in full swing starting next year.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Miller still had to recruit Williams and Jones after they de-committed from SC. It isn't like they had a choice of UA or nothing.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hand over? Come on Russ. It's not like USC told Momo and Derrick to go to Arizona. Miller had to beat out a lot of coaches both in and outside the conference for those two after the Floyd thing.

Solomon Hill only had a soft verbal to USC, he re-committed to Arizona the minute Sean Miller got hired long before the Floyd thing blew up. Revisionist history at it's finest, Solo was a Cat assuming we did not hire a complete fraud of a coach (and we were pretty damn close to that Jim Boylan).

Yeah, Derrick and Momo end up at USC if Floyd stays. UCLA probably doesn't get the Wear Twins if Gary McKnight's kid wasn't on staff. ASU doesn't get Harden unless they bring in Pera as Director of Basketball Ops. Only thing that matters is if you close. Miller closed the deal. Sendek, Billy Donovan, Kevin O'Neill, Josh Pastner, etc did not. End of story.

Doesn't matter when it was made. Only an incompetent coach would take seven years to turn around a program. That gets done in three in college basketball if you're worth a damn.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The "you got lucky with Floyd and Williams/Momo" sounds like the familiar chant about how Lute got lucky with a once in a lifetime player (Sean Elliott) growing up in Tucson as he arrived there which enabled him to build his empire. That is big one with certain ASU fans.

Winners use fortuitous circumstances to build a foundation of greatness. Losers use such luck to merely have fleeting success.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller still had to recruit Williams and Jones after they de-committed from SC. It isn't like they had a choice of UA or nothing.

Not really they had both become friends with Hill who wanted to go to UA all along. So when USC imploded and released them, it seemed pretty likely they were going to UA.

UCLA tried to get in on Williams at that time but they were told he wasn't interested. At the time they had 3 forwards ironically one was Moser. But from what I hear Williams and Hill had become such good friends Hill basically recruited Williams to UA.

now if Hill hadn't liked Miller, that would not have happened obviously so Miller absolutely played a role in it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hand over? Come on Russ. It's not like USC told Momo and Derrick to go to Arizona. Miller had to beat out a lot of coaches both in and outside the conference for those two after the Floyd thing.

Solomon Hill only had a soft verbal to USC, he re-committed to Arizona the minute Sean Miller got hired long before the Floyd thing blew up. Revisionist history at it's finest, Solo was a Cat assuming we did not hire a complete fraud of a coach (and we were pretty damn close to that Jim Boylan).

Yeah, Derrick and Momo end up at USC if Floyd stays. UCLA probably doesn't get the Wear Twins if Gary McKnight's kid wasn't on staff. ASU doesn't get Harden unless they bring in Pera as Director of Basketball Ops. Only thing that matters is if you close. Miller closed the deal. Sendek, Billy Donovan, Kevin O'Neill, Josh Pastner, etc did not. End of story.

Doesn't matter when it was made. Only an incompetent coach would take seven years to turn around a program. That gets done in three in college basketball if you're worth a damn.

See my prior reply I agree Hill always wanted to go to UA was just waiting to see who the coach was.

the main thing was USC released all the kids, USC fans are still furious, sometimes schools won't releaese until they hire a new coach hoping kids will decide to stay, USC didn't because of the circumstances, kids felt Floyd had lied to them about the situation, he had.

McKnights son isn't at UCLA anymorem he left a full year before the Wears transferred. he was there when the Wears committed to UNC so that theory didn't exactly work.

They got one commit from Mater Dei when McKnight was there and that was a verbal from Lamb, IIRC, he was actually still at Colony when he committed to UCLA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "you got lucky with Floyd and Williams/Momo" sounds like the familiar chant about how Lute got lucky with a once in a lifetime player (Sean Elliott) growing up in Tucson as he arrived there which enabled him to build his empire. That is big one with certain ASU fans.

Winners use fortuitous circumstances to build a foundation of greatness. Losers use such luck to merely have fleeting success.

For example I always say banner 11 at UCLA was thanks to Tark. He cheated, got caught, so Tarver and Ed O went to UCLA, they were going to UNLV until they went on probation. Ed O and Charles were part of the title, Tarver graduated already.

There's luck involved in everything.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Momo deserves Pac-10 POW again this week, no doubt.

Cats sweep the Bay area, UW loses again...
and ASU loses their 9th straight. A good day all the way around.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My god I love this team.

Winning on the road against that team in a game with Williams out for nearly 1/2 of it? The NY Cats are special and Momo's taking POW back to back.

Proud to be a :cats:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I really was impressed with is when Williams went out with his fifth foul they did not falter. Momo and Parrom were huge but many others contributed. The bench outscored Cal's bench 52-3.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona will win a National Championship under Sean Miller. Guaranteed.

And it looks like it might happen sooner rather than later too. Amazing showing. I love the team, but I can't help but be really, really excited for next year, especially if Derrick stays.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sucked I couldn't watch the game in Sacramento they have Dish network and CSNCA is not on Dish becaues of some contract dispute.

Looks like Cal should have fouled to prevent the 3 pointer but again that's off following on Yahoo, not the actual game.

UW is just falling apart if they don't right that soon UA and UCLA will both be well ahead of them.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sucked I couldn't watch the game in Sacramento they have Dish network and CSNCA is not on Dish becaues of some contract dispute.

Looks like Cal should have fouled to prevent the 3 pointer but again that's off following on Yahoo, not the actual game.

UW is just falling apart if they don't right that soon UA and UCLA will both be well ahead of them.

There was five seconds left after the 3-pointer was made by Momo. You should only foul when there is less than five seconds to go. Cal had their chances but Kamp missed a two-footer at the end of regulation and Smith missed a uncontested layup in the third overtime. The game was a classic. Sean Miller has done a great job in turning this program around in less than two years. The future looks very bright for the Cats.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
#15 in the AP. I don't think even the biggest homers could've thought Miller would turn it around this quick. Less than 24 months ago our roster consisted of the following players:

Kyle Fogg
Brendon Lavender
Alex Jacobsen
Jamelle Horne
DJ Shumpert

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It'd be nice and although ASU sucks they haven't really been blown out yet.

Beat ASU, get Chol, and all next week is a coronation of sorts for UofA Basketball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman