The Walking Dead (AMC)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot when it premiers on Halloween. I watched the trailer they showed at Comic Con and it looks like it has a pretty good shot of not being all that good.

They have that same trailer on the official site, and I thought it looked pretty well made.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The graphic novel it's based on is pretty damn good. And it's by Frank Darabont, who knows his stuff.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My zombie loving days are well in the past but the trailer hooked me also. I'll definitely be adding it to my DVR list.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched Zombieland, so I'm all stoked for this :)

Me too. It was my first zombie movie in close to two decades (I keep meaning to watch Shawn of the Dead) but found Zombieland entertaining enough to re-visit the genre.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Darabont a lot, the trailer looks decent, but I DO NOT understand the appeal of zombies. And there's nothing in this that looks new. In fact they even took the whole virus thing from all the other zombie flicks. These are your everyday, ordinary zombies. Can't run. Can't open doors. Poor motor function in general. Just once I'd love to see a zombie with some critical thinking skills and good wheels -- not 4.4. 40 wheels, but a zombie that can run down you're typical fat American. Now that would be a zombie menace worth fearing.

That said, this show will live or die based on how much people end up caring for this guy's hunt for wife and daughter. Another classic storyline, but one that is usually redeeming and easy to relate to.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I like Darabont a lot, the trailer looks decent, but I DO NOT understand the appeal of zombies. And there's nothing in this that looks new. In fact they even took the whole virus thing from all the other zombie flicks. These are your everyday, ordinary zombies. Can't run. Can't open doors. Poor motor function in general. Just once I'd love to see a zombie with some critical thinking skills and good wheels -- not 4.4. 40 wheels, but a zombie that can run down you're typical fat American. Now that would be a zombie menace worth fearing.

That said, this show will live or die based on how much people end up caring for this guy's hunt for wife and daughter. Another classic storyline, but one that is usually redeeming and easy to relate to.

Since you obviously haven't read the graphic novel, I guess you should probably know that the zombies are probably cliched, but the story isn't really about that--it's more of a commentary on the sociology of a group of people when facing extreme circumstances.

It's social commentary... WITH ZOMBIES! The graphic novel is great.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score

Watch the new 'Dawn of the Dead' if you want Zombies that can run and have a little bit of thinking...

Oh, I forgot '28 days later'...

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies if I stepped on anyone's Zombie toes. I could just do without zombies entirely, but I'll pay attention to any good storytelling.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty awesome show, especially since I've read a lot of the comics. Very true to them also.

Definitely not for the kiddies (language - but not the "f word" -- and copious amounts of gore).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, the premier was incredibly uninspired. I mean, I already knew that the beginning was a ripoff (supposed to have been written apart from 28 Days later, with neither having knowledge of each other), but it was incredibly drawn-out and boring. It had a few neat parts, what with the zombie wife and the 'oh crap' moment before he crawled into the tank, but man was it surrounded with lots of bo--ring.

I love story, and I'm usually the last person that will put something down for having too much story and moving too slow, but this premier could have been aired in 45 minutes. Stretching it into an hour and a half was just dumb. I'll give it another chance next week, because I really want to like it, but if it keeps up like this it'll stink.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it. The pacing was a bit slow but it never felt tedious to me. I'm hoping (and expecting) this to grow into a great show. I'm still not a zombie fan but I love the post apocalyptic theme and have been waiting a long time for someone to give it a serious try.

Maybe this will start a run on post apocalyptic shows (Damnation Alley, Out of the Ashes, Deathlanders or something like that would be nice). They've made plenty of B-movies along these lines but we need a mainstream live action series that succeeds to open the door for more attempts.

Steve

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but saw they had 5.5 million viewers for the first airing and over 8 million if you add the re-airs. These numbers are better than Mad Men by quite a large margin. An announcement on renewal for the show can't be far behind. I will hopefully have some time to sit down and watch this tomorrow.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
An announcement on renewal for the show can't be far behind.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28804

2nd season ordered for 13 eps. 1st season will be 6

I wasn't too keen on this show from the trailer but I do enjoy a decent zombie flick and I gave it a shot. Granted I've only watched the 1st half (I stopped the DVR after the mom was trying to open the front door) but I am surprised that I've liked it up to that point.

For me I would hope they keep the zombie contact to a minimum like they have done so far. You will need the big chase every now and then but I thought that the zombies locked in the hospital and the ones hanging outside the house were used well to build tension.

Hopefully the other half continues on that path.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't too keen on this show from the trailer but I do enjoy a decent zombie flick and I gave it a shot. Granted I've only watched the 1st half (I stopped the DVR after the mom was trying to open the front door) but I am surprised that I've liked it up to that point.

For me I would hope they keep the zombie contact to a minimum like they have done so far. You will need the big chase every now and then but I thought that the zombies locked in the hospital and the ones hanging outside the house were used well to build tension.

Hopefully the other half continues on that path.

I think they've designed a world where they will have to do exactly that. If the slightest scratch will kill and turn you there isn't much room for error. They're either going to be killing off a lot of returning characters or the writers will have to be very selective in the amount of human/zombie contact.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised they backed themselves into this corner. It's typical to do this in zombie movies but those things are over in a hundred minutes or so; it's another thing to have to deal with this limitation episode after episode.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose