Dragic :)

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
ESPN's Bill Simmons had a tweet where he said its time to hold a ceremony for Manu to pass the torch to Dragic as the most exciting European player. Gotta love that!

But Manu isn't European :shrug:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how Fisher held Goran's right arm? That is why it appeared he went out of control for a bit before crossing back to his right hand.

Yeah, I mentioned it last night in this thread. It caused him to stumble briefly and forced the change of hands. Fisher is so good at that kind of quick grab that almost everyone missed it. TNT, ESPN and the NBA channel kept replaying it but not one of them acknowledged the foul and the brilliant recovery by Dragic.

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why are you guys freaking out about this...?

It was just an ankle breaking crossover with a dribble spin, switch to off hand, falling down layup around Fisher and Odom. Is that good?

Hehe, love me some Dragic. It's funny you know that he's getting noticed because on sportscenter they are finally pronouncing his name correctly!!!

All over the valley today during recess kids are playing basketball and some of them are saying, I'm Goran Dragic!!!

how cool is that? :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goran just has tremendous athletic ability. His upside is off the charts. I'm glad he has had the opportunity to learn under Nash. The most important thing he has learned from Nash offensively is to keep his dribble alive and probe the lane.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things that really ticked me off last night is that they took a shot at Dragic without exposition. I think it was right after one of the times that Dragic kept his dribble alive, went around a screen and took it to the hoop. The announcer said "I would think he'd be difficult to play with" (I think I have that exact but if not, it's at least correct) and Collins responded with a simple "yes". Keep in mind, this was following a fairly impressive play by Goran.

There's a chance that Collins anticipated a different comment than he responded to but it's definitely the point the announcer wanted to make. I could see someone saying that Barbosa can be difficult to play with but I don't see it with Dragic. Did anyone else hear this conversation?

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One of the things that really ticked me off last night is that they took a shot at Dragic without exposition. I think it was right after one of the times that Dragic kept his dribble alive, went around a screen and took it to the hoop. The announcer said "I would think he'd be difficult to play with" (I think I have that exact but if not, it's at least correct) and Collins responded with a simple "yes". Keep in mind, this was following a fairly impressive play by Goran.

There's a chance that Collins anticipated a different comment than he responded to but it's definitely the point the announcer wanted to make. I could see someone saying that Barbosa can be difficult to play with but I don't see it with Dragic. Did anyone else hear this conversation?

Steve

I could also be mistaken, but I thought Albert said "I would think he'd be difficult to play against"

I'm not sure but thats what I thought I heard. lol

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could also be mistaken, but I thought Albert said "I would think he'd be difficult to play against"

See, I think that's what Doug expected to hear but it's not what Marv said. I reran that several times when it happened and he definitely says "difficult to play with". I still have the game so I'll rewatch that quarter just to make sure my idea of "definitely" corresponds with reality but I'm pretty sure I might be definitely right here.:)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

It would be like calling Nash selfish as he controls the ball to set everyone up for good shots. The thing is, neither Dragic nor LB are selfish. This is their game. Goran keeping the dribble alive is classic Steve Nash. Find the seam, penetrate, then dish or score.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Goran just has tremendous athletic ability. His upside is off the charts. I'm glad he has had the opportunity to learn under Nash. The most important thing he has learned from Nash offensively is to keep his dribble alive and probe the lane.

I got taken to task on this board last year for even suggesting this would happen.

I think it's safe to say now that the growth and success Dragic has achieved is going to stick and that we have the PGOF we were looking for.

Thanks Steve Kerr!

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Okay, I just rewatched it. About 2:15 into the second quarter Marv says "I would think Dragic would be difficult to play with" and Collins replies "no question".

Again, I suspect Collins was agreeing with a completely different statement and in fact he was probably too surprised by Marv's comment to bother re-visiting it later. Still, it ticked me off.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got taken to task on this board last year for even suggesting this would happen.

I think it's safe to say now that the growth and success Dragic has achieved is going to stick and that we have the POF we were looking for.

Thanks Steve Kerr!

Just keep probing the defense Cheesewater. :thumbup:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be like calling Nash selfish as he controls the ball to set everyone up for good shots. The thing is, neither Dragic nor LB are selfish. This is their game. Goran keeping the dribble alive is classic Steve Nash. Find the seam, penetrate, then dish or score.

I'm not trying to imply that Barbosa is selfish. When he's on (been awhile) he's able to score against anyone all by himself. He's not as good at using his abilities to get shots for others but recently you can see that he is trying to work to become that type of a player.

Steve

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
He reminds me of a slightly less athletic but better shooting Rondo.

I think thats pretty damn flattering considering that Rondo has been the 2nd best player this post season.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Okay, I just rewatched it. About 2:15 into the second quarter Marv says "I would think Dragic would be difficult to play with" and Collins replies "no question".

Again, I suspect Collins was agreeing with a completely different statement and in fact he was probably too surprised by Marv's comment to bother re-visiting it later. Still, it ticked me off.

Steve

Bizarre, what about Dragic would make him difficult to play with? Did he not see that dish to Lou?

Collins was probably just agreeing with Marv because he didn't want him go bite him!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

The Suns have been pumping up Dragic's confidence to play this way since they acquired him. The same for LB. The last thing the Suns need is a timid PG of the future, although Dragic is playing like the future is now. I think Dragic really respects Nash and has learned alot from him. Nash has said on several occasions that Dragic is the PG of the future. I think Nash is more than willing to share PG duties with Dragic. They both win as Dragic just gets better.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
See, I think that's what Doug expected to hear but it's not what Marv said. I reran that several times when it happened and he definitely says "difficult to play with". I still have the game so I'll rewatch that quarter just to make sure my idea of "definitely" corresponds with reality but I'm pretty sure I might be definitely right here.:)

I wouldn't be surprised. Marv Albert is one of Stern's top media goons. And he is a TERRIBLE play by play guy now. I can't tell you how many times a game I scream at the television "Who is the foul on, Marv?" and "How many team fouls is that, Marv?" And I also hate how when he makes the wrong call, he then corrects it by making it sound like the officials changed the call.

Anyway, this is a Goran Dragic love thread so...here:

You must be registered for see images

Barry Gossage/NBAE/Getty Images

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Bizarre, what about Dragic would make him difficult to play with? Did he not see that dish to Lou?

Collins was probably just agreeing with Marv because he didn't want him go bite him!

They were saying as his teammate he plays so fast and seemingly "out of control" (as Ouchie was alluding too) that you can never tell when the pass is coming or if he is going to drive and you have to get out of the way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have been pumping up Dragic's confidence to play this way since they acquired him. The same for LB. The last thing the Suns need is a timid PG of the future, although Dragic is playing like the future is now. I think Dragic really respects Nash and has learned alot from him. Nash has said on several occasions that Dragic is the PG of the future. I think Nash is more than willing to share PG duties with Dragic. They both win as Dragic just gets better.

Have the Suns ever had a 2nd year player improve so drastically from his rookie season? If you think of one, then how about 2 of them at the same time?

BTW, as much as I love Dragic's game last night, to me, the best play in the game involved Barbosa. He circled the perimeter and then raced to the hoop for the easy layup. That was nice but it only becomes the play of the game when you see Shannon Brown slap Kobe in the face. A real 2fer.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I heard Albert's comment about Dragic, which didn't surprise me a whole lot but Collins agreement with it did. I think Steve probably has the answer for that...

Frankly, Dragic hasn't surprised me this nearly as much as Robin Lopez has. I mean, Goran gave us flashes last year but not so with Robin. I really thought we'd see much more consistent shooting from the former this year but he's still streaky as hell. The good thing is the Goran has been steadily improving his dribbling and running the point during the course of the year - and his D as well. I'm sure it is helping that Gentry has subbed the second unit as a group most of the time and the guys have coalesced into a team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard Albert's comment about Dragic, which didn't surprise me a whole lot but Collins agreement with it did. I think Steve probably has the answer for that...

Frankly, Dragic hasn't surprised me this nearly as much as Robin Lopez has. I mean, Goran gave us flashes last year but not so with Robin. I really thought we'd see much more consistent shooting from the former this year but he's still streaky as hell. The good thing is the Goran has been steadily improving his dribbling and running the point during the course of the year - and his D as well. I'm sure it is helping that Gentry has subbed the second unit as a group most of the time and the guys have coalesced into a team.
y

Gentry seems to have an ability to develop young players mentally and emotionally. Imagine where LB would be today if he had Gentry from the beginning. Of course, it helps to have a Nash and Grant Hill on the roster. They are both very smart, teacher types. Credit Gentry though for creating an environment where they can mentor.

OP
OP
jagu

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Remember when Rolo played like a 6 foot guard, hunched over on defense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison