I hate this economy and job market

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
argh!!! As I've been saying for months, employers are just using the "bad economy" to unload salaries and low ball people on job offers.

So I went to an interview last week at a travel company (I have 20+ yrs experience in various aspects of travel and have a mktg. degree).

It was just for a res agent and the ad said between $10-$14 per hour. I mentioned to the interviewer I was leaning towards $14 based on my experience and background. They call me this week to make me an offer - a whopping $11/hour!! :mad:

So I was silent for a while, and told her I would get back to her. Hubby suggested try negotiating with them so when I call her back I told her if there was any way they would increase the offer, blah, blah, blah.

She says she did speak with the director but they couldn't, but they didn't want me to be unhappy so maybe after 1 year there would be a salary review and went on about how many people had applied for the job, everyone always thinks they are worth more, yada, yada, yada..

I guess I'll have to take it (for now) since hubby is also unemployed. Drive 50 miles r/t every day for $11 an hour. :bang:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to take it (for now) since hubby is also unemployed. Drive 50 miles r/t every day for $11 an hour. :bang:

Yeesh. That's ungainful employment. I'll keep my eye out for your industry. I do some work with CareerBuilder. On which side of town do you live?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
argh!!! As I've been saying for months, employers are just using the "bad economy" to unload salaries and low ball people on job offers.

So I went to an interview last week at a travel company (I have 20+ yrs experience in various aspects of travel and have a mktg. degree).

It was just for a res agent and the ad said between $10-$14 per hour. I mentioned to the interviewer I was leaning towards $14 based on my experience and background. They call me this week to make me an offer - a whopping $11/hour!! :mad:

So I was silent for a while, and told her I would get back to her. Hubby suggested try negotiating with them so when I call her back I told her if there was any way they would increase the offer, blah, blah, blah.

She says she did speak with the director but they couldn't, but they didn't want me to be unhappy so maybe after 1 year there would be a salary review and went on about how many people had applied for the job, everyone always thinks they are worth more, yada, yada, yada..

The industry I work in is somewhat related to travel. I work in the corporate theatre, audio/visual, event services industry.
Nobody and I mean nobody are doing meetings right now. This industry has come to a complete stop. It's worse than it was after 9/11.
This not only affects me as a freelance technician but it also affects resorts and all who work in the hotel industry, etc, and it also affects those who work in the travel industry.
Things are bad for those of us in all of the related industries.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The industry I work in is somewhat related to travel. I work in the corporate theatre, audio/visual, event services industry.
Nobody and I mean nobody are doing meetings right now. This industry has come to a complete stop. It's worse than it was after 9/11.
This not only affects me as a freelance technician but it also affects resorts and all who work in the hotel industry, etc, and it also affects those who work in the travel industry.
Things are bad for those of us in all of the related industries.

Been in my industry for more than 23 years, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING has ever even come close to approaching the destruction I have witnessed over the last 18 months... And if anything, the pain is picking up steam... :bang:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks, DeAnna. Sorry to hear about that.

There is NO work in PR at all. I am actually thanking my lucky stars that I went back to school when I moved here for special ed because those jobs are relatively in demand.

Sad thing is, if I try to go back into PR in three years, I will likely get asked why I was out of the industry for six + years. Sucks all around.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Been in my industry for more than 23 years, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING has ever even come close to approaching the destruction I have witnessed over the last 18 months... And if anything, the pain is picking up steam... :bang:

The reality is how much pain can one withstand?
Right now................................................. It's pretty painful!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The reality is how much pain can one withstand?
Right now................................................. It's pretty painful!

For me, I can withstand it... It sucks, but I'm 44 and I'll live to fight another day, only much more informed and intelligent as a result of all this crap...

However, I feel for the thousands of people I know who have been trashed in my business... Good people doing good work, and they've been destroyed... :(

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm watching companies who have been in business for 20-40 years, good strong subs, bite the dust. I've already lost two large window companies (Jordon and Atrium), my concrete company is on it's very last legs and I'm just trying to get them to finish, rumors are flying around about my truss company which has been in business for over 100 years, it's just bad out there.

I had a superintendent come into my office yesterday and begged me to hire him as a laborer for $18 / hr - just because he knows it's gainful employment for the next 18 months. I've seen guys with 30+ years of superintendents experience not be able to get a job.

I've watched companies fail because they can't make payroll for one week because the credit market has dried up and the lines just arn't there any more.

There's a few blips of hope on the far horizon - a buddy of mine who does small commercial projects is getting funding, but his jobs are less that 5 mil typically (mine are 50+ mil).

Also heard yesterday that Stock Building, who just owns a ton of subcontractors and suppliers, is either going to be sold by August or they're just going to close.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of this is the credit crunch, do you think?

And isn't this what the bailouts were supposed to fix?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad thing is, if I try to go back into PR in three years, I will likely get asked why I was out of the industry for six + years. Sucks all around.

Yeah, and the answer "because PR sucks bungholes" doesn't usually result in a job offer. :shrug:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of this is the credit crunch, do you think?

And isn't this what the bailouts were supposed to fix?

Yep, but instead of loosening credit, the banks are sitting on that money.

The bailouts were ludicris, and not in an entertaining rapping kind of way. No oversight, approved at gunpoint. Shocking that they aren't working.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
This particular company is pretty large and I'm sure has a healthy bottom-line. They were hiring up to 10 people for this account, so it has nothing to do with the economy. It's just good old fashion low-balling and cheapness.

I'm waiting for a pharmaceutical company who is supposed to be hiring in their corp. travel dept. once their new drug is approved by the FDA. Now it seems it won't be until 3rd qtr of 2009.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This particular company is pretty large and I'm sure has a healthy bottom-line. They were hiring up to 10 people for this account, so it has nothing to do with the economy. It's just good old fashion low-balling and cheapness.

Guess they figure that if you won't work for that cheap, someone else will.

There are so many people out of work that employers really have the upper hand. They can get rid of people they don't want and have no trouble filling the position. They also can hire people willing to work for little money just because they need a job.

I swear I thank God everyday that I have a place to work.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

There are so many people out of work that employers really have the upper hand. They can get rid of people they don't want and have no trouble filling the position. They also can hire people willing to work for little money just because they need a job.

Yeah, I'm pretty thankful too. I work in the real estate industry, so I could be toast any day. I've been working my butt off to make sure I'm not the weakest link. This is the first day I've been on the internet at work in months. And it's only because I've done pretty much everything I can possibly do.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ihear you. I applied for a job and the person who called me was a contract recruiter not an employee of the company. When she asked what I made before I was laid off she then said "is that what you want to make now or are you looking for a raise?" I mentioned I'd like to make at least that but since this position would be an increase in responsibilities, I'd hope to get a raise.

She then told me my previous salary was on the low end of the salary curve and "might give you a leg up on getting hired if you're willing to take less than other applicants."

And as you said, I probably will pursue the job and if I get an offer will probably take it because jobs in my field are so scarce right now I'd be crazy to turn one down if I got an offer.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

Bingo.

Of course, when things start to get better, these companies will be out a lot of employees (who will leave as soon as they get a better offer.) It's just bad business practice.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another impact that this has is the cost of living increases given by companies. My company adjusts cost of living based upon the average salaries of the current job market in common markets and demographics. With wages actually dropping there is no hope for COL increases.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo.

Of course, when things start to get better, these companies will be out a lot of employees (who will leave as soon as they get a better offer.) It's just bad business practice.

Oh, absolutely. And it sucks.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Ha! So I got a call today from this company - they've rescinded their job offer. They feel "what they had to offer wouldn't be challenging enough for me and they are looking for a long term commitment."

I had the <gasp> audacity to try and negotiate a better salary for myself. oh well .... :|

Last edited:

SunDevilDon

Registered
Reaction score

Wow, that sucks. If you're interested in making a bit more money, Verizon is hiring for customer service in Chandler and training starts in April. The starting pay is 13.46 an hour benefits start as soon as you start training and you could probably get more than the starting with a degree and experience.

I was only looking for part-time work, and the recruiter there used to be my recruiter where I work now, she's really personable and open-minded. Since they weren't staffing for part-time, and things are going well for me at my full-time job, I obviously am not leaving. Godaddy is usually hiring too and start out around 13.50 with good chance at much more with incentives.

You can go online to verizon.com/careers and apply online, I heard back within a week, but I think she remembered me from before when she called and emailed me. I told her I'd send some people her way.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all should be cops! :)

SunDevilDon

Registered
Reaction score
You all should be cops! :)

LOL, several of my friends are cops (Tempe and DPS). Most are on their second marriage already (at least). Nice retirement though. My friend's Sergeant is gonna get 96K every year for the rest of his life when he retires after 35 years on. Not to mention what he gets when he cashes in all his comp time.

BTW, The Secret Service has about 6 openings right now if anyone is interested....

cardsfan89

Registered
Reaction score
Houston TX police dept is wanting to hire 500 more cops they said on the news last night !

I guess we are pretty lucky where I live in West Texas... things are down, but not near as much as other places. We have 120,000 people in my town and area... and have large military base, oil, universities, and lots of wind energy. So we are diversified at least enough to help give us protection.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1