Cardinals' All-Time Franchise Player

Who is the Cardinals' All-Time Franchise Player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN is running a feature and Dave Damesheck has picked up on it for his podcast. People vote on who they think is each team's all-time franchise player.

Here is what ESPN has for the Cards;

1) Who is the greatest player in Cardinals history?

• Ottis Anderson, RB (1979-96):
    Burst on scene with 1,605 yards as a rookie. 7,999 yards in 99 games with team.
  • Dan Dierdorf, OL (1971-83):
    Before broadcasting career, made six Pro Bowls as Hall of Fame lineman.
  • Roger Wehrli, CB (1969-82):
    Hall of Famer made seven Pro Bowls and picked off 40 passes.
  • Dick Lane, CB (1954-59):
    ''Night Train'' picked off 30 passes in six seasons with Cardinals en route to Canton.
  • Neil Lomax, QB (1981-88):
    Prolific passer led NFL in passing yards in 1987 and made two Pro Bowl appearances.
  • Ollie Matson, RB (1952-58):
    Rushing and receiving threat made first-team All-Pro five times with Cardinals.
  • Ernie Nevers, RB (1929-31):
    One of game's first superstars, scored six TDs and kicked four XPs in one game.
  • Jackie Smith, TE (1963-77):
    Before Super Bowl infamy, one of game's best. Five Pro Bowls and Hall of Fame.
  • Charley Trippi, RB/QB (1947-55):
    Piled up 206 all-purpose yards in 1947 title game. Versatile -- also played QB.
  • Larry Wilson, DB (1960-72):
    Seventh-rounder went to eight Pro Bowls and picked off 52 passes.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN is running a feature and Dave Damesheck has picked up on it for his podcast. People vote on who they think is each team's all-time franchise player. MIA is Marino, DEN is Elway, etc.

Here is what ESPN has for the Cards;

1) Who is the greatest player in Cardinals history?

• Ottis Anderson, RB (1979-96):
    Burst on scene with 1,605 yards as a rookie. 7,999 yards in 99 games with team.
  • Dan Dierdorf, OL (1971-83):
    Before broadcasting career, made six Pro Bowls as Hall of Fame lineman.
  • Roger Wehrli, CB (1969-82):
    Hall of Famer made seven Pro Bowls and picked off 40 passes.
  • Dick Lane, CB (1954-59):
    ''Night Train'' picked off 30 passes in six seasons with Cardinals en route to Canton.
  • Neil Lomax, QB (1981-88):
    Prolific passer led NFL in passing yards in 1987 and made two Pro Bowl appearances.
  • Ollie Matson, RB (1952-58):
    Rushing and receiving threat made first-team All-Pro five times with Cardinals.
  • Ernie Nevers, RB (1929-31):
    One of game's first superstars, scored six TDs and kicked four XPs in one game.
  • Jackie Smith, TE (1963-77):
    Before Super Bowl infamy, one of game's best. Five Pro Bowls and Hall of Fame.
  • Charley Trippi, RB/QB (1947-55):
    Piled up 206 all-purpose yards in 1947 title game. Versatile -- also played QB.
  • Larry Wilson, DB (1960-72):
    Seventh-rounder went to eight Pro Bowls and picked off 52 passes.

I'll make this a poll here. Damasheck says he chooses Tillman, but based on football, that is a silly pick.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never got to see a lot of those guys play. Is there a case to be made for Anneas Williams to at least be on the list?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say Wilson or Wehrli. Terry Metcalf would be in there if he hadn't left for Canada.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted Wilson. I guess I could see Aeneas Williams being the best player since they moved to Arizona, but that's a seperate poll. ;)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I voted for Larry Wilson. I'm an old timer and even though I was not a Card fan when he played, I remember him as the real face of the franchise. He was really dominant during his playing days.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Larry Wilson.

Wilson's one of those once in a game players and he and Wehrli are 1a and 1b from a historical standpoint for me, but...

I never got to see those guys play. Is there a case to be made for Aeneas Williams to at least be on the list?

And Pariah nailed it. As a pre-30 year old my exposure to worthwhile Cardinal players of the modern era has been limited to NFL films highlights and the man for whom "It Takes Respect".

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
That list ignores the team's early history, but that's understandable since most, if not all, of us were not alive to see the exploits of Chris O'Brien in the team's formative years, but he was such an impact player, he made the team good enough to rise above being just a local sporting oddity.

Also notably missing and vital to their 1925 success is Paddy Driscoll who, by himself, could transform a losing team into a winner.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I take that to mean we're talking about "player who did the most for the Cardinal franchise", right?

If so, the first question you'd have to ask would be "Did any of these guys, lead the team to a Super Bowl?" There's only one who came close:

Charlie Trippi (who led the Cards to our only NFL championship in 1947).

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charley Trippi is the only Cardinal to lead his team to a world championship. It's sad to think I was forced to vote for a player that played before I was born.
That being said , we are talking about 3 era's. Chicago, St. Louis and Arizona.

Chicago-Charley Trippi
St. Louis- Larry Wilson
Arizona- Anneas Williams

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
How in God's name is Jim Hart not on that list?

That's what I was wondering. The guy played l7 years (I think) for the Cardinals and quarterbacked the team in the mid 70s when they were really good. Multiple time Pro Bowler. Insanity. I hate ESPN.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The player who makes the biggest impact and/or can be identified as the team MVP the year we win the Super bowl for the first time.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I voted for Ottis Anderson even though Larry Wilson was probably the best. I agree, how Jim Hart not be on the list? Anderson should be in the HOF any day now. I was watching the NFL network and they had a show about top 10 guys,eligible, for the HOF. I expected to see OJ on their and turned it of when they had Rickey Watters on the list but no Anderson. I don't get how the guy continues to get zero respect. I know it's probably because he played for the Cards but he was a Super Bowl MVP for the Giants :shrug: .

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are three more that could be considered.

How about Ernie McMillan, John David crow, and Charlie Johnson? You mention Roger Werhli, but how about his cornerback counterpart, Pat Fischer?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Charley Trippi is the only Cardinal to lead his team to a world championship. It's sad to think I was forced to vote for a player that played before I was born.
That being said , we are talking about 3 era's. Chicago, St. Louis and Arizona.

Chicago-Charley Trippi
St. Louis- Larry Wilson
Arizona- Anneas Williams

I like the idea of breaking it up into era's. Can't really argue any of those choices either. When all is said and done , if we keep him in REd it'll be Quan or Fitz in a landslide. Possibly both.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackie Smith. Most people remember the " drop". He dropped it for all the Card fans who hate the Cowboys.

He was the best, but got less pub than Mackey or Ditka ( over rated ).

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Voted for Wehrli, but Wilson is just as worthy. If the poll included Aeneas he'd be there as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort