American Idol VI

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maaan.

I like the show, but I don't think I've ever had the desire to go out and see someone from it. I wonder how many of those people called in sick just to go.

Keep in mind it was 102 in some parts of the Valley that day.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - it was hot out - i believe that was a free day at the AVP as well and they were working a cross promotion - however, never underestimate the draw of TV

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

heh - yesterday I sat out on metal bleachers setup on blacktop in 105 degree heat watching volleyball for 5 hours - held up pretty well - a good hat, lots of water and sunscreen - plus they were hosing down the crowd throughout the day

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Last night's was pretty good. Blake as horrible on his first song, but the next two were good after.

Melinda scares me. Not like I'm afraid of her winning, but she really did scare me on her second song. Jordan is just awesome.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Last night's was pretty good. Blake as horrible on his first song, but the next two were good after.

Melinda scares me. Not like I'm afraid of her winning, but she really did scare me on her second song. Jordan is just awesome.

Haha....you're scared of a girl. :p

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordin has made it to the final two with Blake.:thumbup:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Seriously, does anybody really care about this manufactured crap?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Jordin.

Doolittle is a scary little Carnivale extra, and I don't care how good her voice is...her look just doesn't sell.

Blake is about 5 percent of Justin Timberlake.

Jordin will be semi successful, but won't come near the big three (Kelly, Carrie and Chris).

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Say goodbye to this show....Blake in the Finals over Doolittle!!! cans somebody say:

FARCE!

FARCE? Don't forget this isn't a legitimate talent contest where the best singer wins. It's who people like. Doolittle, like her name, does nothing for me. Blake is at least different, that's why he gets votes.

Same can be said last season about Taylor Hicks. He drew more fans for his originality and likeableness while McFee was clearly the more talented and hot singer.

I ask myself, would I buy Doolitte's album? No. I would buy Sparks album? No. Would I buy Blake's album? Yes.

And I'd also buy Clarkson and Daughtry -- at least my wife did.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Blake sticks with the Maroon 5 type of stuff, he will be enormously successful. If he tries to go the Justin way, he'll embarrass himself. I'm not really certain where Jordin goes in terms of style. She will need a great producer to pull something we haven't seen out of her, I think. I'd like to see her work with Neil Giraldo, Pat Benatar's husband and producer. He'll give her more of an edge that might sell to a broader audience.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I ask myself, would I buy Doolitte's album? No. I would buy Sparks album? No. Would I buy Blake's album? Yes.

And I'd also buy Clarkson and Daughtry -- at least my wife did.

Well I care more about voice than anything else and Doolittle's voice was clearly the class of the competition....

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not just a singing competition, you have to be a marketable talent which she well was not really! Tina Turner type music is in the past and quite frankly not gonna sell now. Blake can sell current relevant music as could the other girl.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
On another note... Elliot's new look just kept me thinking "So simple, even a caveman could do it"

I, also thought that Blake seems more marketable, although 'No Neck' had a FAR superior voice...

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
On another note... Elliot's new look just kept me thinking "So simple, even a caveman could do it"

Haha. Him coming back to sing was just a reminder of how ugly that dude really is. He also didn't seem to sing very well. At least not as good as I remember him.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I care more about voice than anything else and Doolittle's voice was clearly the class of the competition....

Americans can recognize talent, but they don't have a lot of patience for musical skill. In fact there's little appreciation of musical skill in this country, and virtuoso musicians starve because there's no demand for that kind of ability -- not even on conventional or popular instruments such as guitars, keyboards, or percussion. (Not that I think Melinda has a virtuoso voice, far from it, but she's 100 times more polished than any of the other contestants).

I think America recognized that Jordin and Blake have some innate talent, and they were competing against Melinda, who has very strong skills. She's been educated. I believe Americans find skillfull musicians cold and uninspiring, and Melinda's tactical approach to singing ended up falling short of votes.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
To soley 9 to 16 year olds... the guy is a cheesy hack...

Unfortunately that is the demographic that apparently brings in the money as it relates to popular music and naturally, as with most things, you simply have to follow the cash to see why things happen... ;)

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May 17 2007 5:46 PM EDT

Doug E. Fresh, 'Police Academy' Star Size Up 'Idol' Finalist Blake Lewis' Beatboxing
Fresh says he's in talks to make appearance on 'American Idol' finale: 'I've seen the kid, and I love him.'

By Gil Kaufman

On his possible path to the "American Idol" title next week, Blake Lewis has already notched a lot of firsts for the show.

He was the first contestant to rock a tuxedo T-shirt; the first to brave songs by the Cure (via 311), Jamiroquai and Maroon 5; the first finalist with visible tattoos; the first one to rap (see " 'Idol' Gets Its First Taste Of Hip-Hop — Thanks To A Rock Band"); and the first person — possibly ever — to add a beatbox breakdown to the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancin'."

Ah, yes, the beatboxing. The kids seem to love it, but Simon has said it was a bit much and kind of gimmicky for him, and Randy has complained that Lewis doesn't really need it. But Lewis can't resist adding a little bit of mouth-magic to his songs — even Bon Jovi tunes (see " 'Idol' Recap: Blake's Brave Choice Is 'Brilliant'; Jordin Is 'Criminally Heinous' ") — so we wondered what professional beatboxers make of Lewis' skills. We polled some of the greatest voicestrumentalists around to get their take.

Who: Doug E. Fresh
Beatbox cred: Considered one of the greatest beatboxers of all time, Fresh is best known for his landmark 1985 single "The Show/ La Di Da Di," featuring Slick Rick.
Nickname: "Original Human Beatbox" (the name of an early single).
His take: Fresh said he's been following the ascent of Lewis all season and he loves what he's seen. So much, in fact, that he's in talks to make an appearance on next week's finale (though a spokesperson for the show would not confirm his appearance at press time). "I've seen the kid, and I love him," Fresh said. "I'm really happy about it, and I think that including me in the show will really help shed light on where the art started and the history of beatbox."

Who: Michael Winslow
Beatbox cred: The "Police Academy" movies, Weird Al's "Eat It" video.
Nickname: Man of 10,000 sound effects.
His take: The actor/ standup comedian, who's been beatboxing for nearly 30 years, gave Lewis props for doing his thing. "I have to congratulate him on doing it at all," Winslow said. "It's not entered mainstream culture, and it's mainstream now because of him." Winslow, who does occasionally watch the show and has seen Lewis interject his signature air scratches and beatboxing into songs by Thicke and the Bee Gees, said — Simon be damned — the kid from Washington does a "credible" job. He also thinks Lewis should definitely use some beatboxing on his inevitable first album.

Who: Kenny Muhammad
Beatbox cred: Has performed with Rahzel, Squarepusher, Matisyahu, Stevie Wonder and Angie Stone and beatboxed with the New York Symphony Orchestra.
Nickname: The Human Orchestra.
His take: "I can't believe he made it to the next round!" said Muhammad, who tuned in to "Idol" Wednesday night during a break from recording his debut album. "The other chick [Melinda Doolittle] got snubbed. As far as him doing the human beatbox, he doesn't take it seriously. He isn't a serious human-beatbox artist. He's an amateur. He's using it as a gimmick to let people know he's hip, to get that edge so he can get over by doing that. He's not really laying it down and his attitude doesn't really say, 'I believe in this.' "

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who: Kenny Muhammad
Beatbox cred: Has performed with Rahzel, Squarepusher, Matisyahu, Stevie Wonder and Angie Stone and beatboxed with the New York Symphony Orchestra.
Nickname: The Human Orchestra.
His take: "I can't believe he made it to the next round!" said Muhammad, who tuned in to "Idol" Wednesday night during a break from recording his debut album. "The other chick [Melinda Doolittle] got snubbed. As far as him doing the human beatbox, he doesn't take it seriously. He isn't a serious human-beatbox artist. He's an amateur. He's using it as a gimmick to let people know he's hip, to get that edge so he can get over by doing that. He's not really laying it down and his attitude doesn't really say, 'I believe in this.' "
I think that's ********. He's risking everything by including it...moreso than any of the other contestants. It was a big risk, and I think that proves that it is something that he's dedicated to & serious about.

I'm still voting for Jordin--I just thought that dude's opinion was dumb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort