Zaven Collins: What to do

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It’s not a miss; he played a bunch of snaps. He just isn’t worth anywhere near the fifth year option number.

He’s likely blocking Darius Robinson; it’ll be interesting to see if they seek a bargain-basement trade.
Baloney. He is a huge miss. Playing and sucking doesn't make him any less of a bustola.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
He will either earn a spot or not. The coaches have watched him play inside and outside. Personally I hope the light comes on for him this year and he becomes a productive starter.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Just because the GM and coach chose not to pay Collins $13MM in 2025, doesn't mean that he won't be a significant part of the defense in 2024. Unless he shows some improvement in his edge play this season, he'll be playing somewhere else in 2025.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because the GM and coach chose not to pay Collins $13MM in 2025, doesn't mean that he won't be a significant part of the defense in 2024. Unless he shows some improvement in his edge play this season, he'll be playing somewhere else in 2025.
Was he a significant part of the defense in 2023?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Cardinals will decline the fifth-year option on outside linebacker Zaven Collins’ contract, General Manager Monti Ossenfort told Arizona Sports on Tuesday.

The move is not a surprise considering it would have guaranteed Collins $13.2 million.

“We’ve talked a lot about it here the last couple weeks. We’re not going to pick up the fifth-year option on Zaven,” Ossenfort told Arizona Sports. “We’ve had discussions with Zaven. We’re extremely happy with where he’s at and the versatility that he brings to the defense. We want to keep Zaven around here, it’s just the fifth-year option removes some flexibility in terms of the cap that comes along.

“We’re going to have some discussions here as we go. Love Zaven; love where he’s at; love what he brings to our defense, and hopefully we can keep him around here for a long time.”

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there aren't plans for him beyond this season, find a trade partner, even if it's for a 6th or 7th rounder. I rather give the reps to players this staff sees being here for the long term.

I think he can be a productive player in the right system and could have a decent career, but he doesn't fit ours.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Hoped he could thrive like Reddick within this regime's defense, but doesn't seem to be in the cards (pun intended). Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the rotation but not flashing much again this year and then him moving on. I'd prefer to see Thomas get the snaps at EDGE if the staff feels he is ready to contribute early based on what they see in camp.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think he can be a productive player in the right system and could have a decent career, but he doesn't fit ours.

I don't even know if he doesn't fit our system. He definitely can't produce to the $14 million guaranteed for performance and injury that the fifth-year option provides. But I'd be surprised if Darius Robinson outperforms even his production from last year.

For me, Collins was definitely a disappointment, but busts don't start for four seasons and clearly aren't the worst player on the defense. Maybe others have finer gradations of bust than I do. He isn't Robert Nkemdiche.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If there aren't plans for him beyond this season, find a trade partner, even if it's for a 6th or 7th rounder. I rather give the reps to players this staff sees being here for the long term.

JG / Rallis, is that you?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even know if he doesn't fit our system. He definitely can't produce to the $14 million guaranteed for performance and injury that the fifth-year option provides. But I'd be surprised if Darius Robinson outperforms even his production from last year.

For me, Collins was definitely a disappointment, but busts don't start for four seasons and clearly aren't the worst player on the defense. Maybe others have finer gradations of bust than I do. He isn't Robert Nkemdiche.
All valid points.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JG / Rallis, is that you?
So you don't think in the 2022 system he played in made him a productive player?

16 starts a ILB
Played 98% of the defensive snaps
100 tackles
11 tfl
8 pressures
6 pd
2 sacks
1 int
1 td
1 ff

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am completely comfortable with the Cardinals giving Collins more snaps on the EDGE. Maybe he puts it together. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he is rotational EDGE player moving forward and getting 30% snaps. Who knows but we don't have the depth to just toss him aside.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am completely comfortable with the Cardinals giving Collins more snaps on the EDGE. Maybe he puts it together. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he is rotational EDGE player moving forward and getting 30% snaps. Who knows but we don't have the depth to just toss him aside.
maybe his next contract will be cheap, no way he’ll be looking for his big payday.

We’ll be drafting his replacement next year or a mid FA acquisition.

For some reason it’s less encouraging to a player’s mindset when the fifth year isn’t picked up. A “your not good enough” kind of thing.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort