Your opinion of Cards draft plan ???

What do you do with the 1st round pick?

• Draft Defense (Johnson,etc)and try to pickup a back like Jennings or Green later

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Draft Wells, Mccoy, Moreno in the 1st (whoever falls to us)

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Draft an offensive lineman such as Mack,Smith,or Oher

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Trade down to accumulate picks and try for more talent

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlaCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
What would u do if you were the front office?? I would personally go with defense the 1st round and draft Jennings (out of Liberty) the 2nd or 3rd...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
What would u do if you were the front office?? I would personally go with defense the 1st round and draft Jennings (out of Liberty) the 2nd or 3rd...

Things change during the draft. There are always surprises. If I was the FO, position by need factored in with BPA: In order of preference.

1- DE/OLB, RB, One of these two will be picked unless someone like Pettegrew falls down. And most likely not even then.

2- DE/OLB or RB (whichever didn"t get addressed)> OL

3- OL,

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who is Smith? If you are talking about Andre Smith, I doubt there is even the slightest chance he would fall to us.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Something I noticed about Moreno.

The kid looks the part, and seems to be a bigger back than I thought.

But what worries me is that dancing. Call it ellusiveness, or what ever. I don't like guys that dance in, or before the hole.

We run a power running game and we need a guy that takes the ball and hits the hole.

Plus the NFL is too fast for dancers unless you are Barry Sanders.

I am currently thinking this current list of RB's are not worthy of a first round pick. Wells, Moreno, even LeSean McCoy, and Donald Brown are a bit iffy as a first round pick, IMO.

I am starting to be 100% behind going defense.

I have a feeling a Rashad Jennings, or Andre Brown (injuries aside) could be a good fit in our system. Shon Greene is an option as well, but I hate players with off-field issues.

Yet, I hope beyond all hope we DO NOT take Michael Johnson. We already got one, player with the "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" problem in Travis LaBoy. (that one's for Skkorp), or Brian Cushing..... I am from around that area, and I will tell you he is a product of the USC system, and softer than Dairy Queen Icecream.

Last edited:

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

But what worries me is that dancing. Call it ellusiveness, or what ever. I don't like guys that dance in, or before the hole.

We run a power running game and we need a guy that takes the ball and hits the hole.

Plus the NFL is too fast for dancers unless you are Barry Sanders.

I am currently thinking this current list of RB's are not worthy of a first round pick. Wells, Moreno, even LeSean McCoy, and Donald Brown are a bit iffy as a first round pick, IMO.

I have a feeling a Rashad Jennings, or Andre Brown (injuries aside) could be a good fit in our system. Shon Greene is an option as well, but I hate players with off-field issues.

Yet, I hope beyond all hope we DO NOT take Michael Johnson. We already got one, player with the "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" problem in Travis LaBoy. (that one's for Skkorp), or Brian Cushing..... I am from around that area, and I will tell you he is a product of the USC system, and softer than Dairy Queen Icecream.

I am with you 100%. That is why keeping James is imperative. I hope he is with the Cards this year. When was the last time we had a legit back average 4 yards a carry?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Very true but that may have been out of neccesity. He did it less two years ago, but this year he danced more because he had 3 sophmores and 2 freshmen blocking for him this year. I dont think he had any confidence in his OL. "Hopefully" with more confidence in his OL, the less dancing he would do.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Moreno, even LeSean McCoy, and Donald Brown are a bit iffy as a first round pick, IMO.

I think that's the way they're going. And it's not a forgone conclusion that they'll pick a RB with the 2nd rounder either. Maybe they just stay the course and go 5th Rd. RB again. (our 4th this yr.). It seemed to work once. Why not twice?!

Anyhow whoever get Moreno (who's falling back to the other two), Brown or McCoy, isn't getting a Chris Johnson their first year, IMO. But their 2nd yrs. on , and teams won't regret having taken them. That's how I see it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The other thing in their plans that would be obvious is whether Dansby signs long term or not before the draft. If he isn't resigned by then then it's for sure the FO will draft a DE/OLB first, probably Simtim who has experience playing both ILB and OLB in the 3-4.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is not on there. Take the best available out of the following: RB, LB (preferably one who can rush the passer, though we could go ILB and have Dansby on the edge more), C (or possibly another OL). Best available out of those 3 positions, period. If Moreno, McCoy, Mack and Mualaga and English are there, choose the highest rated player on the Cards board.

That said, my secondary strategy is a trade down. An early to mid second could probably still get us Mack, Unger, Sintum, McCoy or Brown.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
whatever youall say, moreno and wells are the real deal and he will prove it in the years to come!!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
whatever youall say, moreno and wells are the real deal and he will prove it in the years to come!!

You mean "they". So might Brown and McCoy or Greene and Ringer. It's hard to tell who's going to have the better career. So much depends on the system, personell and the coaching. And coming into the right situation. Forte and Johnson proved you can have success right out of the gate just about.
Someone unexpected could do the same.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need linebackers. We have no true Will, we have a Sam playing Mike, and our Sams are in their 30s. Problem is if we don't address the need at running back, there will probably only be one good back in the 2010 draft, CJ Spiller.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
We need linebackers. We have no true Will, we have a Sam playing Mike, and our Sams are in their 30s. Problem is if we don't address the need at running back, there will probably only be one good back in the 2010 draft, CJ Spiller.

If that's the case (I'm sure it can't be) more underclassmen would come out in a weak draft class. There are always good prospects who tote the rock.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If that's the case (I'm sure it can't be) more underclassmen would come out in a weak draft class. There are always good prospects who tote the rock.
The only possible 1st round prospect I can think of coming early out next season is Johnathan Dwyer.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals draft plan is unknown to us and probably sketchy to them too. They have not drawn up their board yet. When they do, it likely will not bgin serious player targeting until about 20 picks have come off the board in round 1.

That's my guess at how these things work.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If there is a no brainer pass rushing LB at our pick I could see us doing that. If not I think we take Wells-1a or McCoy-1b.

If we draft a solid RB we can release Edge and use that cap space to redo AW or Dansby.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If there is a no brainer pass rushing LB at our pick I could see us doing that. If not I think we take Wells-1a or McCoy-1b.

If we draft a solid RB we can release Edge and use that cap space to redo AW or Dansby.
Wilson is being extended reguardless of what happens with Edge. Dansby's new deal would actually help financially I think (less of a cap hit for next season).

All releasing Edge and renegotiating Okeafor's deal does is put more money in the coffers to possibly extend Anquan Boldins deal ahead of schudule by one year.

Edge is not going to start next season and they're not going to pay him 5M to sit behind Hightower and a rookie. Yes they will take another rookie this year, and I believe it's with the intention of playing him.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
After much thought on this matter, (I believe you all know that I am very much sold on Donald Brown RB, UConn). I must say, however, that if given the choice personally to make the Card's first selection of the draft, I would take Center, Alex Mack.

I believe this guy is a seamless fit for us. He is big, has long arms, is a powerful and relentless run blocker who can get to the second level, and can anchor against the big Nose Tackles in this league. Every line needs that solid anchor, (and while I really like what Sendlein has done for us), he just is outsized at this position, and gets shoved around too much. I also don't like the way that Warner has stumbled to keep from getting taken down by Sendlein's feet 2 or 3 times a game. Maybe that had something to do with Warner's bad hip, but Mack is a guy that can anchor our emproving line for years to come, and Sendlein is a very servicable backup.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I share your opinion. That is why I think we should go for the best defensive player available or someone like Alex Mack center from Cal. This is not a good year for rbs and a player taken on a later round may end up just as good as those mentioned above.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BPA (with player-ratings modified to give slightly more weight to position need and fit within the system).

I'm only just now starting to scope out my first mock (There are too many variables still in play to come up with anything close to reality - Most if not all teams are still tweaking their boards as Pro Days occur, missing pieces of info on certain players are filled in and teams consider whether or not to deal up or down).

You can't draft everybody in Round One. Just cherrypicking "probable #1's" off the top of my head, I come up with 17: Stafford, Sanchez, Wells, Moreno, Crabtree, Maclin, Pettigrew, Monroe, J Smith, Orapko, E Brown, Raji, Curry, Malauga, Laurinaitis, Jenkins, Alph Smith

I come up with 23 other players who could possibly go in Round One (from which 15 will actually go): Freeman, D Brown, Green, McCoy, A Smith, Beatty, Wood, Mack, Oher, English, T Jackson, Jerry, Hood, Sintim, Cushing, Matthews, Freeman, Beckwith, Butler, V Davis, Pegues, Delmas, Chung.

And, no doubt, there will be a couple of other surprises (i.e. all it takes is for one GM to fall in love with a guy otherwise slated to go later). If this were to happen, it could cause a player rated higher to drop down. (Should that be Moreno or Laurinaitis, we might very well leap on either).

Aside from the above "pipe dream scenario", I'd keep my eye on D Brown, McCoy, Mack, Wood, Cushing and Butler.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I would agree with this in a 4-3, but not in a 3-4. There is a reason the OLB's wiegh 270 lbs in a 3-4 defense. Los would be ate up by OT's if he were playing outside. If I am wrong and he could play outside he would command so much money that he would never sign a long term with the Cards. In my opinion he is playing right where he belongs in our D.