Young Sent to Reno, Rusty Ryal Called Up

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
D-Backs send Young to Triple-A

The Diamondbacks have demoted center fielder Chris Young, who is batting .194 during a difficult season.

Young will report to the team’s Triple-A affiliate in Reno.

The Diamondbacks called up infielder Rusty Ryal from Reno, meaning Ryan Roberts may become an option as a corner outfielder.

The struggling 25-year-old was hitting .194 in 103 games with seven home runs and 28 RBIs, and was 1 for 8 with four strikeouts as the Diamondbacks were swept in Washington over the weekend.

Young, who signed a five-year, $28 million deal before last season, had 32 homers and 68 RBIs in 2007 and 22 homers with 85 RBIs last year.

The Diamondbacks called up infielder Rusty Ryal from Reno, meaning Ryan Roberts may become an option as a corner outfielder.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2009/08/10/20090810dbacksyoung-CR.html

Good to finally see Ryal get called up after having a good year in the minors. bCareer Stats

Edit: It seems the author had the same paragraph at the end of the article as well as the 3rd... weird.

Last edited:

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn't there only a few weeks left in the triple A season? I thought their season ended at the end of August.

Wonder who is left to call up in September?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If it weren't for that damn contract I would have bet this could've been the last we would've seen of Young in a D-Backs uniform... :bang:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Chris Young is laughing all the way to the bank.
As much as I don't like Chris Young's stubbornness in continuing to hit popups, I don't think the old cliche applies.

I don't think he finds any satisfaction in being demoted.

If I were his hitting coach in the Minors, I'd tell him, "I just want to see you hit singles, nothing else. When I tell you, you can then try to hit them into the gaps in left-center and right-center. Then down the LF and RF lines. And, if you earn it, I'll tell you when you can try to hit a ball into the air."

Sort of like learning how to walk all over again. Baby steps for starters.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn't there only a few weeks left in the triple A season? I thought their season ended at the end of August.

Wonder who is left to call up in September?

Allen will definitely get called up in September. Derrick Hall pretty much assured that on Doug and Wolf last week. He even said he could see Allen being a middle of the lineup bat for us next season.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
All that potential, down the drain. I guess Eric Byrnes taught him the "sign and retire" method.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I don't like Chris Young's stubbornness in continuing to hit popups, I don't think the old cliche applies.

I don't think he finds any satisfaction in being demoted.

If I were his hitting coach in the Minors, I'd tell him, "I just want to see you hit singles, nothing else. When I tell you, you can then try to hit them into the gaps in left-center and right-center. Then down the LF and RF lines. And, if you earn it, I'll tell you when you can try to hit a ball into the air."

Sort of like learning how to walk all over again. Baby steps for starters.

I get regular second-hand reports from the dugout most every weekday. The one redeeming value to this guy is he takes this stuff seriously and he has been a pro's pro. Don't know how many of you appreciate that, but think about it ... he's sham at the plate, he knows it, he knows everyone knows it, and he knows the fans turned on him a long time ago. But he still showed up on time, worked on his game every day. He's made so many changes, big and little, to his batting game that it really started to get into his head. At this point I more concerned about his psyche than anything going on below the neck. That's what may not be redeemable.

John Smoltz went from unfulfilled prospect with a lot of potential to superstar after seeing a sports psychiatrist. I think that's what CY needs more than anything.

I'm still done with him as a fan, but as a human being, I actually feel awful for him. I can assure you he's not laughing. He's pretty ******* miserable actually.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Great post the first sensible one

I get regular second-hand reports from the dugout most every weekday. The one redeeming value to this guy is he takes this stuff seriously and he has been a pro's pro. Don't know how many of you appreciate that, but think about it ... he's sham at the plate, he knows it, he knows everyone knows it, and he knows the fans turned on him a long time ago. But he still showed up on time, worked on his game every day. He's made so many changes, big and little, to his batting game that it really started to get into his head. At this point I more concerned about his psyche than anything going on below the neck. That's what may not be redeemable.

John Smoltz went from unfulfilled prospect with a lot of potential to superstar after seeing a sports psychiatrist. I think that's what CY needs more than anything.

I'm still done with him as a fan, but as a human being, I actually feel awful for him. I can assure you he's not laughing. He's pretty ******* miserable actually.

Even as frustrating as Chris Young's season has been I am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and let him try to work his way out of this. The reason for this is that he is willing to take coaching and work hard to try and get out of this. He got the contract because of his having a very good season ( he hit over 30 homers and stole over 20 bases) and the fact he has great raw skills and is 25 years old. Young's problems are all between his ears and it may make a great deal of sense for the club to have him work with a sports psychologist. I also feel he should have an eye exam to be sure he does not have depth or peripheral vision deficiencies. It is way too soon to give up on him yet.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Sports psychiatrist... I love how physically strong some people are, yet mentally weak. How about this - get over yourself! Stop crying in your cereal, and sit up straight. Act like a man. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and work harder. Stop hanging your head and think positive.

Same stuff that my Dad/Mom said 100 times. Why would I want to pay for it?

As a person, I hope Chris Young overcomes his despair. As a player, I hope he overcomes it as a Diamondback... soon.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm hoping CY gets whatever the issue is righted (likely overthinking) and makes the majority of you eat your words.

He's been terrible this year but went 32/27 not very long ago so its not like he has NEVER shown anything.

I think its actually pretty funny all the bile and venom 82 has for the poor kid.

He's probably not going to be as good as we thought he was back in 2007 but hes probably not going to be this bad ever again either.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm hoping CY gets whatever the issue is righted (likely overthinking) and makes the majority of you eat your words.

He's been terrible this year but went 32/27 not very long ago so its not like he has NEVER shown anything.

I think its actually pretty funny all the bile and venom 82 has for the poor kid.

He's probably not going to be as good as we thought he was back in 2007 but hes probably not going to be this bad ever again either.

C'mon man... how would you feel if the guy had run over your dog??

;)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sports psychiatrist... I love how physically strong some people are, yet mentally weak. How about this - get over yourself! Stop crying in your cereal, and sit up straight. Act like a man. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and work harder. Stop hanging your head and think positive.

As a person, I hope Chris Young overcomes his despair. As a player, I hope he overcomes it as a Diamondback... soon.

Dare I suggest that neither you nor I have ever been in a position to be so publicly scrutinized in our profession. I also think the players that have no conscience of the public at all are a little psychotic.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Are you Tom Cruise?

Not to sidetrack things and I'll preface this by saying I don't see a therapist or any sort of counselor. But there's literally hundreds of thousands of people who owe their lives to the jobs those professionals do including some people in your life I'm willing to bet.

Since we're in agreement that CY's issues are all in his head, perhaps getting a mental health professional involved instead of continuing to kick him in the backside might be worth a try?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Are you Tom Cruise?

Not to sidetrack things and I'll preface this by saying I don't see a therapist or any sort of counselor. But there's literally hundreds of thousands of people who owe their lives to the jobs those professionals do including some people in your life I'm willing to bet.

Since we're in agreement that CY's issues are all in his head, perhaps getting a mental health professional involved instead of continuing to kick him in the backside might be worth a try?

Can we do both?

:D

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Are you Tom Cruise?

:) Nope, I'm not Tom Cruise.

BTW, never said I was against the mental health profession. In fact, I am a supporter of it. I do, however, laugh at 'tough' guys who get their feelings hurt regarding sports. Remember your little league coaches/Pop Warner coach/Dad when you didn't have your head in the game? Yeah, lots of advice and criticism. If you couldn't hack it there, you needed to go find another hobby. SO... did those athletes never learn mental toughness and positive thinking then? And if not, how were they able to push themselves for so long to be 'elite'?

I just think that unless an athlete has 'chemical imbalances', he needs to 'get over it' by acting the part - then eventually becoming the part. Despair and depression feed on each other until you are in a constant downward spin; the trend is only reversed by choosing to be positive. For instance, do you think Mark Reynolds focuses on how many Ks he has when he walks up to the plate? However, I'm pretty sure Chris is thinking about his low BA when he grabs his bat.

Maybe I am a bit naive...

Again, I am a big believer in the mental health profession. Tom Cruise and I are on opposite sides of the fence.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:) Nope, I'm not Tom Cruise.

BTW, never said I was against the mental health profession. In fact, I am a supporter of it. I do, however, laugh at 'tough' guys who get their feelings hurt regarding sports. Remember your little league coaches/Pop Warner coach/Dad when you didn't have your head in the game? Yeah, lots of advice and criticism. If you couldn't hack it there, you needed to go find another hobby. SO... did those athletes never learn mental toughness and positive thinking then? And if not, how were they able to push themselves for so long to be 'elite'?

I just think that unless an athlete has 'chemical imbalances', he needs to 'get over it' by acting the part - then eventually becoming the part. Despair and depression feed on each other until you are in a constant downward spin; the trend is only reversed by choosing to be positive. For instance, do you think Mark Reynolds focuses on how many Ks he has when he walks up to the plate? However, I'm pretty sure Chris is thinking about his low BA when he grabs his bat.

Maybe I am a bit naive...

Again, I am a big believer in the mental health profession. Tom Cruise and I are on opposite sides of the fence.

Funny, because I think Chris Young has toughed it out just like you said. He's been more of a pro than some of the stars on the team and he's done it with everyone within earshot trying to get into his head telling him what he should do. I'm surprised we didn't hear of Young assaulting people in the locker room. Instead he's quietly gone about his business.

The problem becomes when you start expecting failure because no matter what you do nothing goes right. "Tough it out" is great if you're in a slump. What Chris Young is going through defies slump and likely something he can't get over on his own.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
"Tough it out" is great if you're in a slump. What Chris Young is going through defies slump and likely something he can't get over on his own.
Even though I expect team spokesmen to put a not-so-negative spin on things, if they get to the point where they try to insult the intelligence of the paying fans, they've gone too far.

Bob Melvin didn't know when to stop. Every problem was a "little" problem.

And now AJ has fallen into the same trap. Being in last place, when they were, was a "little" problem or a "slump". Chris Young's hitting problem was a "slump".

You have to wonder, if they can't recognize the problem, or admit it, how are they going to solve it?

In the case of Chris Young and Eric Byrnes (although their personalities and intelligence levels when you hear them speak are at opposite ends of the spectrum -- Young, quiet and mature; Byrnes, obnoxious and with the personality of an adolescent) -- their problems were not "slumps".

They were guys headed in the wrong direction, then getting mired in it. And no one in management able to turn it around.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Even though I expect team spokesmen to put a not-so-negative spin on things, if they get to the point where they try to insult the intelligence of the paying fans, they've gone too far.

Bob Melvin didn't know when to stop. Every problem was a "little" problem.

And now AJ has fallen into the same trap. Being in last place, when they were, was a "little" problem or a "slump". Chris Young's hitting problem was a "slump".

You have to wonder, if they can't recognize the problem, or admit it, how are they going to solve it?

In the case of Chris Young and Eric Byrnes (although their personalities and intelligence levels when you hear them speak are at opposite ends of the spectrum -- Young, quiet and mature; Byrnes, obnoxious and with the personality of an adolescent) -- their problems were not "slumps".

They were guys headed in the wrong direction, then getting mired in it. And no one in management able to turn it around.

As a MLB coach I guarantee you AJ is well aware that a starting player hitting .190 at this point in the season is absolutely atrocious. But just about any manager outside of the Chicago White Sox's clubhouse isn't going to tell it like it is on his performance, you have to sugarcoat it a bit. It's all in their heads, I don't think there's much AJ could do to get CBY to hit a baseball right now outside of sending him down to the minors to get his sht together. I dont know what the deal with Eric is.