You suck Brandon Lyon!!!

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I have seen him hit 101 a couple of times, and I don't even watch baseball that much. Even less with little HD coverage this year after the switch to FSN.
All of the home games televised by FSN (and some of the road games) are in HD this season.

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
I might of been too harsh on Lyon but he is not a closer. He is better at being a setup guy.

Yeah, setting up the other team to win. We're not giving up, but Lyon has lost it. We brought him in, in 2005 to be the closer and he's saved a whole 17 games since then and blown freaking 12. Yeah, great closer. Put someone else at that spot Melvin! Put him in the game when we're up in the 9th and we will only win 58% of those games.

I want the Big Potato back dammit!

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Yeah, setting up the other team to win. We're not giving up, but Lyon has lost it. We brought him in, in 2005 to be the closer and he's saved a whole 17 games since then and blown freaking 12. Yeah, great closer. Put someone else at that spot Melvin! Put him in the game when we're up in the 9th and we will only win 58% of those games.

I want the Big Potato back dammit!

I didn't like Valverde either. Too much of a roller coaster ride. And after the meltdown in Colorado last year. No thanks.

Try Pena there. Soon.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Insane to you, but I've reached my opinion of Bob Melvin after watching him the whole time he managed here AND in Seattle, and he stinks as a manager in game and out, IMO.

And I'll root for whomever I choose, and however I damn well please.

Apparently you were in a cave last season especially towards the end when everything he did turned up gold.

Or maybe you just werent posting as much.;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brandon Lyon inspired me to make a haiku:

Brandon Lyon Haiku

Brandon Lyon Sucks,
Blown save costs the Diamondbacks,
Much despair I feel.

Last edited:

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
I didn't like Valverde either. Too much of a roller coaster ride. And after the meltdown in Colorado last year. No thanks.

Try Pena there. Soon.

See my first post, yeah Valverde would put two on just about every game, but almost always he found a way to get through the inning. Perfect? Not at all, but at least he didn't throw an 0-2 pitch right down the middle of the freaking plate, or when he did, at least he had some heat on it. I know Valverde isn't the best closer, but a better option than Lyon. I'd rather see Kim closing than Brandon..... wait, what the hell am I saying? Melvin needs to pull Lyon out now and put someone else in.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
See my first post, yeah Valverde would put two on just about every game, but almost always he found a way to get through the inning. Perfect? Not at all, but at least he didn't throw an 0-2 pitch right down the middle of the freaking plate, or when he did, at least he had some heat on it. I know Valverde isn't the best closer, but a better option than Lyon. I'd rather see Kim closing than Brandon..... wait, what the hell am I saying? Melvin needs to pull Lyon out now and put someone else in.

I agree with everything said in this post.

I also think the Royals will go 162-0 and The Tigers will go 0-162.

Lord know you can ALWAYS tell whats going to happen in a season after the first 3 games.

:rolleyes:

CHAPTER 7

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we are saying we will lose every game. Just expressing that Lyon is not the closer of choice. Pena might be better closer???

I never liked Lyon. I don't remember he ever showed that he can be a closer since he got here. I hope I'm wrong. Because I want DBacks to win like anyone else.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I'll give Lyon a shot but I have a strong feeling that he won't be our closer at the All-Star break. Does it mean he sucks? absolutely not as he is one of the best setup guys in the bigs. IMO, both Lyon and Qualls are too valuable in their respective roles (7th & 8th inning relievers) to put them at closer.

If he continues to struggle, give Pena his shot. Be careful what you ask for as Pena doesn't excite me all that much either. To me he seems like a bit of a headcase

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'll give Lyon a shot but I have a strong feeling that he won't be our closer at the All-Star break. Does it mean he sucks? absolutely not as he is one of the best setup guys in the bigs. IMO, both Lyon and Qualls are too valuable in their respective roles (7th & 8th inning relievers) to put them at closer.

If he continues to struggle, give Pena his shot. Be careful what you ask for as Pena doesn't excite me all that much either. To me he seems like a bit of a headcase

He can be a little erratic, just like Valverde was, but seemed to overcome until the Colorado Meltdown.

Hopefully he doesn't completly melt down after a walk or two and not groove pitches. Also at the same time go after people and challenge them. Make them beat you. That was Valverdes MO.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree 100%. if he continues, Pena should get a shot. I also think Cruz should get a look if Lyon struggles.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Almost everyone who follows baseball knows that a manager who is respected in the clubhouse is worth more wins than even the best tacticians. Everyone from the vets to the rooks really like Mewlvin, that's good enough for me despite his flaws as a strategist.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Almost everyone who follows baseball knows that a manager who is respected in the clubhouse is worth more wins than even the best tacticians. Everyone from the vets to the rooks really like Melvin, that's good enough for me despite his flaws as a strategist.
Motivation is great, but sometimes being too much of a Players' Manager can become counter-productive.

Benching two regulars in the third game of the season . . . including replacing Snyder (our new legitimate #5 hitter) with Hammock, then being one-hitted by a novice? We'll see.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motivation is great, but sometimes being too much of a Players' Manager can become counter-productive.

Benching two regulars in the third game of the season . . . including replacing Snyder (our new legitimate #5 hitter) with Hammock, then being one-hitted by a novice? We'll see.
Hammock got the start because it was a day game after a night game, starting catchers typically get those off. The only other starter missing was Jackson, who was taken to the hospital the night before.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone who follows baseball knows that a manager who is respected in the clubhouse is worth more wins than even the best tacticians. Everyone from the vets to the rooks really like Mewlvin, that's good enough for me despite his flaws as a strategist.

:yeahthat: That is why Mark Grace might make a decent manager one day.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hammock got the start because it was a day game after a night game, starting catchers typically get those off. The only other starter missing was Jackson, who was taken to the hospital the night before.

Yup - given the circumstances, any manager would do the same.

HooverDam

Reaction score

What on Earth makes Snyder a legitimate #5 guy? I'm hoping beyond hope that some of the young guys (Upton, Drew, Reynolds) can really grow fast this year so that Snyder can slide back down in the order where he belongs.

I'd be pretty surprised if Snyder ever plays a full season and matches the .277 average he posted in less than half a season in '06.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What on Earth makes Snyder a legitimate #5 guy? I'm hoping beyond hope that some of the young guys (Upton, Drew, Reynolds) can really grow fast this year so that Snyder can slide back down in the order where he belongs.

I'd be pretty surprised if Snyder ever plays a full season and matches the .277 average he posted in less than half a season in '06.
I was pulling for Montero to become our everyday Catcher. But Snyder has been impressive at bat for the past half-season. In addition to his solid defense and calling a game.

It will be interesting to see how he does this year.

And Reynolds remains my favorite D'back position player.

AZHEAD

Reaction score
I was pulling for Montero to become our everyday Catcher. But Snyder has been impressive at bat for the past half-season. In addition to his solid defense and calling a game.

It will be interesting to see how he does this year.

And Reynolds remains my favorite D'back position player.

The Strike Out King? :shock:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Strike Out King? :shock:
Reynolds tried to alter his swing for less strikeouts in Spring Training and it reduced his power.

I can be happy with him as a traditional 5 or 6 hitter, hitting long balls and striking out.

Besides, up to today's game, Young has 9 strikeouts (batting leadoff); Upton and Reynolds each have 7.

Reynolds isn't The Strike Out King. He's one of the two Strikeout Princes. :)

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Reynolds tried to alter his swing for less strikeouts in Spring Training and it reduced his power.

I can be happy with him as a traditional 5 or 6 hitter, hitting long balls and striking out.

Besides, up to today's game, Young has 9 strikeouts (batting leadoff); Upton and Reynolds each have 7.

Reynolds isn't The Strike Out King. He's one of the two Strikeout Princes. :)

I have a feeling that by the end of the season... many D'backs will be dubbed "Strikeout Princes."

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
7 walks and 9 strikeouts for Young. If he walks that much, who cares about how he makes his outs?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard