Yao Ming Retires

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was almost a foregone conclusion. Too bad.

I expect the same outcome on Greg Oden.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many years it will take before he's no longer at or near the top of the All Star fan voting? I've always thought the dumbest thing in all sports is to allow fan voting but China took it to a new level of dumbness.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah not surprising. Too bad,he's a great guy and was good for the game.
Maybe we can sell Houston a deal that involves Lopez/Brooks so we can get Dragic back.

Actually nevermind,Dragic sucks unless he's playing in a legit NBA system.:D Sorry i couldn't resist.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah not surprising. Too bad,he's a great guy and was good for the game.
Maybe we can sell Houston a deal that involves Lopez/Brooks so we can get Dragic back.

Actually nevermind,Dragic sucks unless he's playing in a legit NBA system.:D Sorry i couldn't resist.

I know you put the big grin out there but do you really sort of believe this? Personally, I don't want Dragic back unless we find there's an acceptable reason for his play last year. I think he didn't want to be stuck behind Nash so he flat out quit. I can't remember seeing a player show such glimpses of promise only to disappear so thoroughly the way he did. I can't blame the system because let's face it, he looked pretty good in that system last season.

Steve

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I know you put the big grin out there but do you really sort of believe this? Personally, I don't want Dragic back unless we find there's an acceptable reason for his play last year. I think he didn't want to be stuck behind Nash so he flat out quit. I can't remember seeing a player show such glimpses of promise only to disappear so thoroughly the way he did. I can't blame the system because let's face it, he looked pretty good in that system last season.

Steve
IMHO, Dragic was not propared to deal with hyperspeed point guards. In 2009 -10, few teams were able to put their top on-the ball defender on him because they feared Barbosa. Once Leandro was traded, Dragic's weakness at hanging onto the ball or panicing became apparent.

My suspicion is that Dragic might actally be better suited to playing the #2 position along side a better ball handler. But this was not what the Suns needed.

In any case, Brooks will cost $2.76 million. This season will prove whether the Suns made a mistake with Brooks.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't remember seeing a player show such glimpses of promise only to disappear so thoroughly the way he did.
I can. We drafted him the same year.
In any case, Brooks will cost $2.76 million. This season will prove whether the Suns made a mistake with Brooks.
While it is certainly possible that Brooks won't get any better offers and will just take the Suns qualifying offer, especially under a new CBA, I don't consider that likely. So if the Suns choose to keep him, it will likely cost the Suns a lot more over a lot more years.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
It'll be especially bad next season when Yao Ming is an All-Star starter due to write-in votes. Bank it....

What's going to happen is they will move on to the next Chinese player... ladies and gentlemen, you're starting PF for the Eastern Conference All-Stars: Yi Jianlian.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Hardly anyone ever plays for their qualifying offer. Some team is going to sign Brooks to an offer sheet, and I can almost guarantee that the Suns do not match.

I don't see anyone paying big bucks to sign him - as point guards go he's distinctly average and he has to regain his acceleration to be that. My guess is the MLE for three years - not enough to price the Suns out of the running if they want him back. I wouldn't be shocked to see him accept the qualifying offer - hoping a super season will net considerably larger, longer offers. Well, unless he has to reject the qualifying in order to shop around.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
that might be but the FA class is sad and Brooks is the best PG available he will get at least the maximum MLE if something like that exists.

Errntknght

Reaction score
IMHO, Dragic was not propared to deal with hyperspeed point guards. In 2009 -10, few teams were able to put their top on-the ball defender on him because they feared Barbosa. Once Leandro was traded, Dragic's weakness at hanging onto the ball or panicing became apparent.

My suspicion is that Dragic might actally be better suited to playing the #2 position along side a better ball handler. But this was not what the Suns needed.

George, Barbs only played in half the games(44) and short minutes at that - seven less that his career average. Besides if you'd watched the games you'd know Leandro was not highly effective that year. For example 32% on threes and career low in assists, too.

Last summer, as soon as the Suns didn't resign Amundson I predicted that Gentry was likely to discard the practice of having a second platoon and the effect of that on Dragic would be to make him revert to prior behavior.

Goran was the leader of second unit (along with Lou) and they could move away from 'Nashball' - and clearly he thrived on that. Hell, every backup we've had for Nash has played like crap - worse than they played in any other circumstance. On that basis alone I thought Dragic's demise was quite predictable. As was his resurgence with the Rocks.

Brooks may do considerably better as Nash's backup this year, given a training camp and a full recovery from his ankle problems. I don't see his game as being all that dependent on the offensive style he's playing - whatever it is he's going to be a relentless shooter. He also thinks he's a great player - an illusion but, at least, he won't suffer from lack of confidence. The other guy, for similar reasons, that I think would do well as Nash's sub is Jimmer. (This is not a complaint against our draft choice.)

Zabian Dowdell didn't do badly and if Gentry et al. think he's progressing well enough, they might pass on Brooks even if his offer isn't prohibitive. I don't think Brooks is our PGOF so I'm good with that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George, Barbs only played in half the games(44) and short minutes at that - seven less that his career average. Besides if you'd watched the games you'd know Leandro was not highly effective that year. For example 32% on threes and career low in assists, too.

Last summer, as soon as the Suns didn't resign Amundson I predicted that Gentry was likely to discard the practice of having a second platoon and the effect of that on Dragic would be to make him revert to prior behavior.

Goran was the leader of second unit (along with Lou) and they could move away from 'Nashball' - and clearly he thrived on that. Hell, every backup we've had for Nash has played like crap - worse than they played in any other circumstance. On that basis alone I thought Dragic's demise was quite predictable. As was his resurgence with the Rocks.

Brooks may do considerably better as Nash's backup this year, given a training camp and a full recovery from his ankle problems. I don't see his game as being all that dependent on the offensive style he's playing - whatever it is he's going to be a relentless shooter. He also thinks he's a great player - an illusion but, at least, he won't suffer from lack of confidence. The other guy, for similar reasons, that I think would do well as Nash's sub is Jimmer. (This is not a complaint against our draft choice.)

Zabian Dowdell didn't do badly and if Gentry et al. think he's progressing well enough, they might pass on Brooks even if his offer isn't prohibitive. I don't think Brooks is our PGOF so I'm good with that.

I agree with much of what you have said. However, the Suns still need a third PG especially if Nash is traded at the trading deadline or when he becomes a FA. If the Suns do not have a third PG that can play, Nash will probably break down again if he is forced to play when he is injured or just needs the rest.

According to your theory, it's too bad the Suns did not keep Dragic as the Suns could probably get Amundson back from GS and at least play platoon basketball and used that second first round pick they had to draft another young player.

I agree Brooks is likely not the Suns PGOF nor was Dragic but at least Brooks has proven he can start when the Suns wake-up and realize Nash is no longer MVP Nash and trade him or decide to let him walk when his contract expires

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Mainstreet,
According to your theory, it's too bad the Suns did not keep Dragic as the Suns could probably get Amundson back from GS and at least play platoon basketball and used that second first round pick they had to draft another young player.

Dumping Amundson didn't rule out platooning though we didn't have an obvious replacement. At the time I thought we should just insert Lawal in his place and go with it, come what may - at least he had the physical qualifications for the position he'd be playing. I thought the important thing was to have a unit that had a fair amount of success via playing strong defense - seeing it work being a good way to change the Suns' culture. And if by quirk of fate the team succeeded, Nash wouldn't be worn down to a nubbin by playoff time.

Getting Warrick was the real killer - no way can you have a stalwart defense with him on the floor and Gentry felt obligated to play him.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Congrats to Yao on a career that, though shorter than it should have been, was still a very significant one. This is what you point to when stars decline to play in international competitions (though personally it would still be worth it to me).

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff Van Gundy thinks YAO should be in the HOF...what a DOPUS!

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree since we let Bryant "Big Country" Reeves in wait nevermind.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yao Ming the player doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame but Yao Ming the phenomenon probably does.

Steve

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I'm embroiled in this discussion on another board

IMO, not yet even as a contributor ..... i think he was more of a product and part of other peoples efforts to open up China as opposed to someone who acted individually to develop a market

Seems like a good guy who has a good relationship with his government so I could see him becoming more involved in the future and providing the friendly face for China going forward ..... today though? - i don't think so .... he was a popular player who was developed, marketed and packaged very careful by others for a very specific purpose

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player