Yankees on a mission.

Young Gun

rebel without a cause
Reaction score
I'm sticking with my original prediction like I said before the playoffs began. I said last month that the winner of the Yankees/Twins series would win the World Series before the ALDS began.

I really thought the Yankees were down & out in the 7th being down 4-1,the 5-2 when Wells gave up that home run to Ortiz. I still did not rule them out, good teams find a way to win.

Good teams find a way to win, that will likely carry them through to their 27th World Series ring. Unstoppable, yes, after watching that tonight. The Marlins have lots of heart, not easily intimidated, the Yankees have a lot to say, the Marlins will have their hands full, will have a Hell of a time.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
The Yankees will NOT have an easy time....

I maintain that the Marlins have always had the most talent of any team in the entire playoffs... I was going for the Cubs due to sentiment, even though I knew the Marlins were actually a much better and more balanced team. Not only do they have more athletic talent than the Yankees, they play better fundamentally... the Fish really are a scary bunch!

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I agree John - I thought that as well when the Marlins played us this summer - speed, sound defense, hitting, adequate pitching - smart, scrappy, fun baseball - and a very even-keel manager. At the time, I recall wishing we could play like they were playing - I was very impressed. The biggest challenge the Fish must deal with is their pitching, but they've been doing OK at that so far this season. And they are relentless.

If people can get past their wish for Cubs-Sox series, they are likely to see some excellent baseball in this WS.

The other advantage for the Marlins is they remain way under the radar - they are NOT being taken seriously enough, no matter what Alou or Baker or Torre or anyone else says - when Dave Campbell jumped on the bandwagon yesterday on ESPN and said that he believed they would definitely win the WS, he was met with snickers and eye-rolling.

unc84steve

Veteran
Reaction score
The Yankees have great strengths: starting pitching, some up-the-middle hitters & the greatest postseason pitcher ever. However, those up the middle players are killing the defensive side of the ledger as surely as "out makers" hurt an offense. Aaron Boone has been struggling and the RF platoon isn't special.

Hey, they're a fine team, but they aren't the 1927, 1939 or 1998 Yankees. Even the 1961 team wasn't that great.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by unc84steve
The Yankees have great strengths: starting pitching, some up-the-middle hitters & the greatest postseason pitcher ever. However, those up the middle players are killing the defensive side of the ledger as surely as "out makers" hurt an offense.
I would suspect that there is a point beyond which good hitting doesn't make up for inadequate defense. Possibly one inadequate defensive player doesn't hurt, but if you have several it may create a problem. There has to be a point at which a player has to hit x much better than major league average if his defense is below major league average, no?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard