2024 5th round pick #138 is Xavier Thomas Edge

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like for the team to draft guys with traits on day three.

Palmer and Thomas really fit in that category.
My biggest issue with the draft was the end of round 3 and top of round 4. I thought that was a great spot to grab one of McCaffrey, Baker, Franklin, and Walker vs Jones. But, it is what it is.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the draft was the end of round 3 and top of round 4. I thought that was a great spot to grab one of McCaffrey, Baker, Franklin, and Walker vs Jones. But, it is what it is.
Agree. I didn't feel like OG was as big a need as WR.

I definitely believe safety was a huge need with Baker coming up on free agency and the scary bad depth there.

I do think the Cardinals feel that Adams will be a starter at OG soon however.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree. I didn't feel like OG was as big a need as WR.

I definitely believe safety was a huge need with Baker coming up on free agency and the scary bad depth there.

I do think the Cardinals feel that Adams will be a starter at OG soon however.
My issue was more with the Jones pick than DTD. Only reason I added the 4th was if they had DTD with a high enough grade to snag in with pick 90.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is just a bunch of vet CBs on the market to fill out the room IMO if that is a concern.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My issue was more with the Jones pick than DTD. Only reason I added the 4th was if they had DTD with a high enough grade to snag in with pick 90.
Jones was a bit rich, but I think he gives you another chance to fix CB if Melton doesn't work out.

Running 12 and 13 means the Cardinals have a lower need for WR depth.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jones was a bit rich, but I think he gives you another chance to fix CB if Melton doesn't work out.

Running 12 and 13 means the Cardinals have a lower need for WR depth.
I don't disagree but would have been a low opportunity to add a player to battle with Wilson and Dortch. I just thought there was better talent with an easier path to a roster spot long term.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't disagree but would have been a low opportunity to add a player to battle with Wilson and Dortch. I just thought there was better talent with an easier path to a roster spot long term.
I have a higher opinion of Wilson and Dortch than I do of Thomas and Clark. CB was a glaring weakness, much more so than WR if you factor in Harrison Jr.

I think the secondary at least in paper has a much cleaner look now...even though they will definitely take their lumps as rookies.

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
I have a higher opinion of Wilson and Dortch than I do of Thomas and Clark. CB was a glaring weakness, much more so than WR if you factor in Harrison Jr.

I think the secondary at least in paper has a much cleaner look now...even though they will definitely take their lumps as rookies.
My memory has gone bad. I thought Clark was playing good last season but then got in the dog house or something?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My memory has gone bad. I thought Clark was playing good last season but then got in the dog house or something?
Eh, he was not good at all. That's a fan narrative that wasn't based on objective reality.

There was a reason he was planted in the dog house and the team tried every other corner than him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously, we are building a squad where it is going to be pass rushing by committee. There is not an elite standout. But, across the board, we have improved. Let's say Stills and Ojulari improve in year 2 over year 1. You the rotation of Still, Jones and Nichols inside, on the edge, you have Robinson, Collier, Ojulari, the two Thomases....

If they play nasty and rotate a lot to stay fresh this might actually work and QB pressures and sacks show a significant increase.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously, we are building a squad where it is going to be pass rushing by committee. There is not an elite standout. But, across the board, we have improved. Let's say Stills and Ojulari improve in year 2 over year 1. You the rotation of Still, Jones and Nichols inside, on the edge, you have Robinson, Collier, Ojulari, the two Thomases....

If they play nasty and rotate a lot to stay fresh this might actually work and QB pressures and sacks show a significant increase.
Yeah I think it will be fine. 40 sacks seems likely to me, which is good enough.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems a decent 5th round prospect with upside. :) That potential upside outweighs the risks at this point in the draft. :)

I still think we're gonna need to acquire a dominant type pass rusher next off-season though. A 1st round edge pick in next year's draft seems quite possible now.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bill Walsh rebuilt the awful 49ers secondary and started THREE rookies in 1981, and won the Super Bowl. Didn't hurt that one of them was Ronnie Lott. So I can dream.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
He was a freshman All-American and then he strayed and balooned in size and hung with the wrong crowd/followed wrong advice. He corrected this and got back to the field in his last year.

If he continues to take his profession seriously, this is a great pick. If not, it's a wasted pick, which is okay for a 5th rounder with this high ceiling

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
the Ravens always seem to have a pretty solid pass rush -- and they always seem to take one in every draft outside the first round.

Two years later, he is good contributing player (and 3 years after that -- they leave in free agency because the Ravens have someone behind them coming up)
And they get a third-round comp pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the Ravens always seem to have a pretty solid pass rush -- and they always seem to take one in every draft outside the first round.

Two years later, he is good contributing player (and 3 years after that -- they leave in free agency because the Ravens have someone behind them coming up)

Their current projected starters at Odafe Oweh who's never passed 5 sacks in 3 years and Kyle Van Noy. All backed up by superstars such as David Ojabo, Malik Harrison, Tavius Robinson, Adisa Isaac and Malik Hamm.

They legit have a worse edge room than us.