Xbox and streaming to windows 10

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it was announced today that not only will xbone games be streamable to windows 10 but also 360 games that are emulated on your xbone.

You can stream to a surface too.

And an oculus VR headset.

Anything that has windows 10 on it.

I cant wait for it. I am going to put a bigscreen in my office with a PC hooked up to it so I can play xbox in there on days like yesterday when I get home and my 60” is being used to watch pitch perfect.

Also if you are going to play local 2 player, you can have one person on each screen instead of splitting the screen.

I want a solid laptop or surface but I am not sure if you can hook those into a TV like you can a desktop. Anyone know?

Also feel like the oculus will be a must have if I can stream any xbone game to that. How cool would it be to lay in bed playing call of duty in a virtual reality headpeace?

Or out on my patio!

Or on the toilet!

I love the future.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/windows-10-oculus-/

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/xbox-360-game-streaming-windows-10/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/30/8524123/microsoft-xbox-one-game-streaming-windows-10

Launching games is simple from the Xbox app for Windows 10, you just select the title you want to play and there's a new streaming option at the top. This isn't just streaming, though. You can even access the entire Xbox One dashboard, and launch apps like party, friends, achievements, and more. It all seemed to work without much lag in Microsoft's demo, but we'll have to take a look at it more closely in home environments to really judge it fully.
(DCR I missed sending you a preview invite again. I suck. I will get it done.)

Is anyone a preview member for windows 10? I need to research how to get in on that action so I can try all of this out.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surface needs an adapter for HDMI but laptops usually have standard HDMI for connecting direct to a TV.

I have done adapters with tablets and the resolution on the TV is not proper, does the same thing happen with a surface? I would also be concerned about getting video lag by doing that as it is not the original "pc" screen, it is a mirrored version?

In your experience with either or, when its hooked up to the tv is there a slight lag vs hooking a tower to a TV?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Connected by cable it should not have lag. Some tablets have performance issues sending to a second monitor but the surface is a pc. We had good experience projecting wirelessly from the surface to the ms adapter with only slight lag. Keep in mind also the surface native resolution is probably higher than what the TV is capable of.

I did have some audio echo issues using HDMI from a desktop when running gotomeeting to the TV speakers.

Overscan is the only other issue when connecting a pc but newer TVs have fit adjustments like monitors do.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connected by cable it should not have lag. Some tablets have performance issues sending to a second monitor but the surface is a pc. We had good experience projecting wirelessly from the surface to the ms adapter with only slight lag. Keep in mind also the surface native resolution is probably higher than what the TV is capable of.

I did have some audio echo issues using HDMI from a desktop when running gotomeeting to the TV speakers.

Overscan is the only other issue when connecting a pc but newer TVs have fit adjustments like monitors do.

So it sounds like with a laptop or surface I may have some lag when streaming a game but if I connect a PC tower directly to a TV it should be real time?

If so that is good to know and I would likely just always have a tower hooked up to a TV in a room but may still get a surface for roaming use.

thanks for follow up and feedback on this Chaz. Having any lag would be unnacceptable for online games and fast paced games so I will have to tailor my setup to meet those demands.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Speaking of which, have any of you tried the new app that lets you push your laptop screen out wireless to your TV through your Xbox? Pretty cool feature if you have something that you can only watch from your computer. Sound streamed fine through my home theater system too. There was a delay on the laptop screen to the TV, but that's to be expected. The sound however, was synced with the delay as far as I could tell.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, have any of you tried the new app that lets you push your laptop screen out wireless to your TV through your Xbox? Pretty cool feature if you have something that you can only watch from your computer. Sound streamed fine through my home theater system too. There was a delay on the laptop screen to the TV, but that's to be expected. The sound however, was synced with the delay as far as I could tell.

i tried it once and it didnt work very well. tried again and my phone is only finding my rokus and not my xbox. probably something I need to tweak.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
So it sounds like with a laptop or surface I may have some lag when streaming a game but if I connect a PC tower directly to a TV it should be real time?

If so that is good to know and I would likely just always have a tower hooked up to a TV in a room but may still get a surface for roaming use.

thanks for follow up and feedback on this Chaz. Having any lag would be unnacceptable for online games and fast paced games so I will have to tailor my setup to meet those demands.

It depends on your graphics adapter performance pushing two monitors and the resolution. The newer laptops and the surface pro should be ok.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on your graphics adapter performance pushing two monitors and the resolution. The newer laptops and the surface pro should be ok.
Cool. Maybe I can find some people who have tried it and read their comments on the performance.

Need to back up my pc and then ima try to download windows 10 and test the streaming over my pc

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap surface pro is expensive

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand OR on the XBONE is pointless. It will only appears as a static "on the wall" type display and not actually be in VR. How dumb is that?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand OR on the XBONE is pointless. It will only appears as a static "on the wall" type display and not actually be in VR. How dumb is that?

What is OR?

Augmented reality was shown off with playing minecraft on your coffee table.

Virtual reality is being introduced in a lot of games and you wear an oculus rift VR headset and your screen is right in front of your eyes.

What you are talking about with on the wall display is the augmented reality can put a tv on the wall when there isnt one but it goes much deeper than that in this video: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/22/minecraft-hololens-minecraft-reality/

PS: Holo lens is augmented reality. Oculus rift is VR.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is OR?

Augmented reality was shown off with playing minecraft on your coffee table.

Virtual reality is being introduced in a lot of games and you wear an oculus rift VR headset and your screen is right in front of your eyes.

What you are talking about with on the wall display is the augmented reality can put a tv on the wall when there isnt one but it goes much deeper than that in this video: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/22/minecraft-hololens-minecraft-reality/

PS: Holo lens is augmented reality. Oculus rift is VR.

OR=Oculus Rift. What I meant above is that the XBONE will not have full blown virtual reality. The OR will only display (stream) XBOX games in a virtual theater versus actually being full blown VR.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/18/xbox-one-games-oculus-rift/

Instead Microsoft is concentrating on HaloLens which is augmented reality gaming. So, there will be no true VR for the XBOX ONE from what I read. So spending a bunch of money on Oculus Rift just to have a virtual theater? That might have some excited but I was hoping for a full blown VR experience.

I guess it's no big deal. I can get the HaloLens for the XBONE and I can get the full blown VR for my PS4. That's why I purchased both...to get the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I doubt I'll get any of it, I imagine the prices will be rather high

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I doubt I'll get any of it, I imagine the prices will be rather high

That's going to be interesting....the price points. It could end up being a huge barrier for entry for everybody which means low adoption rate and utter failure for both. Developers are not going to spend a ton of money on development that has a small user base.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's gong to be interesting....the price points. It could end up being a huge barrier for entry for everybody which means low adoption rate and utter failure for both. Developers are not going to spend a ton of money on development that has a small user base.
With the fancy controller being 150 I imagine these headsets will cost more than the console. Seems so will a computer fast enough to stream games. I haven't gotten windows 10 yet to try it on my budget pc

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

What app is that?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard