Writer's Strike

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, that likely is a studio putting a rumor out there? I guess you will likely have an indication tonight.
Without a doubt. That was studio propaganda all the way, especially coming in the heels of the possible SAG strike walkout that might begin in a matter of hours.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
On another site I visit, someone posted a spec script for the sitcom "The Big Theory" that they had generated using ChatGPT. It had a weird but at least coherent plot. But the craziest thing was that it contained literally no jokes... you know, the things that are the single most important parts of a sitcom.

Apparently, people using AI-based writing algorithms are discovering it doesn't have the capacity to meaningfully create humor. Such a thing requires creativity and intuition that is utterly beyond the capabilities of AI, at least at this point. I suspect that most other aspects of meaningful creativity will also continue to be outside the realm of AI for the near future at minimum, and quite likely a whole lot longer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
On another site I visit, someone posted a spec script for the sitcom "The Big Theory" that they had generated using ChatGPT. It had a weird but at least coherent plot. But the craziest thing was that it contained literally no jokes... you know, the things that are the single most important parts of a sitcom.

Apparently, people using AI-based writing algorithms are discovering it doesn't have the capacity to meaningfully create humor. Such a thing requires creativity and intuition that is utterly beyond the capabilities of AI, at least at this point. I suspect that most other aspects of meaningful creativity will also continue to be outside the realm of AI for the near future at minimum, and quite likely a whole lot longer.
It's like learning Spanish. You can literally learn the words, how to say them, even the grammar. But the Spanish you learn in High School is way different than how hispanics actually speak in AZ, which is a world different than just over the boarder in Sonora. It's almost not even the same language from Mexico to Spain. There's so much slang, culture, context, nuance, etc., I don't think a ChatGPT robot could fool a human speaking to them.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Someone made a generative AI program based on Seinfeld that was streaming on Twitch a few months ago, it was interesting but mostly just nonsense about nothing. Eventually got banned for hate speech, similar to what happened with the AI program Microsoft put on twitter 7-8 years ago.

Raindog

Reaction score
Someone made a generative AI program based on Seinfeld that was streaming on Twitch a few months ago, it was interesting but mostly just nonsense about nothing. Eventually got banned for hate speech, similar to what happened with the AI program Microsoft put on twitter 7-8 years ago.
That makes sense - it probably took the idea that Seinfeld was a "show about nothing" as a programming command. :D

Raindog

Reaction score
It's like learning Spanish. You can literally learn the words, how to say them, even the grammar. But the Spanish you learn in High School is way different than how hispanics actually speak in AZ, which is a world different than just over the boarder in Sonora. It's almost not even the same language from Mexico to Spain. There's so much slang, culture, context, nuance, etc., I don't think a ChatGPT robot could fool a human speaking to them.
Indeed... like the YouTube videos with AI generated narration. You can pretty much always detect it, even when the subjects are dry and matter of fact. The narration still sounds weird and stilted.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Is there anything fans can do? I mean, I get pissed when I find out my shows and movies won't be coming out. Most of us don't know what to do about it, though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
So f’ing ridiculous.

With SAG joining us, the heat is now on and we’re seeing the producers getting bent in the press for the first time.

The DGA are a bunch of cucks. How’s your lame deal now without writers kr actors? I mean, they are such self serving pricks. Their deal specifically says they get to ride on our coattails if we get a better deal. Yeah… great. Make us suffer to get YOU a better deal.

So weak. We could have had the tripod of Solidarity needed to break the producers and actually pay ALL of us what we’re worth. But SAG/WGA is gonna stand strong together.

Stuff is going to get REAL bad before it gets better, IMO. But the studios brought this war on themselves.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why the snark?
He's being directly affected by this. Cut him a break. I consider myself the typical consumer. I don't know all the details. I assume most people are even less informed than me. Just trying to learn as we go on this topic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What snark? He was unaware that CEO Bonuses are not consistent with how their big companies pay those lower than them?
I always thought in Hollywood, as portrayed in the movies, that investors and board members pressured execs to make profits. I guess I was naive on that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's being directly affected by this. Cut him a break. I consider myself the typical consumer. I don't know all the details. I assume most people are even less informed than me. Just trying to learn as we go on this topic.
The problem with these big CEOs, is that their bonus structure has nothing to do with anything. He's still going to get millions just for being the CEO, while his company goes through layoffs and not paying writers and actors. Not to mention how they cut corners with below the line production staff.

My company is good for this Christmas assuming there won't be an editor's strike. It's next Christmas that might be a problem for us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I always thought in Hollywood, as portrayed in the movies, that investors and board members pressured execs to make profits. I guess I was naive on that.
Even without writers and actors, Disney still makes a ton of money and Iger will still get his bonus. Profits don't make a difference. Not making profit affects people a lot lower than the CEO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What snark? He was unaware that CEO Bonuses are not consistent with how their big companies pay those lower than them?
Are you just figuring that out now? Is definitely snarky whether you see it or not.