Writer's Strike

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is the real question that matters: Is there anything fans can do? I mean, I get pissed when I find out my shows and movies won't be coming out. Most of us don't know what to do about it, though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a legit question to someone who didn’t seem to be informed on the subject.
The answer to the question could have been. 'Yes, that is how it always works.' or something along those lines that doesn't contain the snark.

I get that tensions are high for people involved in these strikes. Yuma is clearly an ally and wants to know how to help.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shut this whole thing down until the people who actually make the shows get what we deserve.

I’m talking writers, actors, crew, IATSE. ALL OF US.
It feels like Congress/FCC will need to get involved in order to force steaming providers to produce numbers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TV and movies are really about to be ass in 2024
Yup. This year won’t be effected mostly on streamers. But network TV is gonna be atrocious in the fall and if this dual shutdown is prolonged, 2024 will be a vast, empty wasteland for entertainment.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This sucks, namely for all of those in the industry of course. Hope it will get resolved quickly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is disgraceful
Just for point of comparison, when I worked on NCIS, my first residual check was 5 figures.

And Necessary Roughness was streamed on Peacock for 3 years. So far, I have received NOTHING in residual pay. Not 1 penny and I’m being forced to take them to arbitration, which won’t even start until APRIL 2024.

The streaming residuals are an affront to common decency.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. This year won’t be effected mostly on streamers. But network TV is gonna be atrocious in the fall and if this dual shutdown is prolonged, 2024 will be a vast, empty wasteland for entertainment.
More and more reality shows on the way. Expect to see Gordon Ramsey 4 or 5 nights a week lol.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That is disgraceful
Not for nothing.... They should have to pay the studio back for that disgrace.

regardless of my humor...... Cheese..... I'm with you. Get all the cash baby. the streaming data, and all the money/backpay you are owed. I can watch sports and *GULP* reality TV next year if need be.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I admittedly didn't know squat about this industry aside from I enjoy watching film/tv a great deal. Andd that the production companies and streamers make bonkers money.

It's tough to see the little guy, from the smallest of crew up to the likes of Ryan Reynolds, getting screwed like this for something that is so cumulatively enjoyed across our country and world. It isn't divisive like sports, etc, this is loved by all. Sad thing to see it come to halt.

I knew we have some active members in this realm, and I really do empathize with what you are all going through.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

regardless of my humor...... Cheese..... I'm with you. Get all the cash baby. the streaming data, and all the money/backpay you are owed.
I was afraid to make a joke on that one. Still, compared to the ending episodes, it was one of the better Shehulk episodes. The ending of that season was REALLY bad. And I loved the character! Still, I know that at least two households watched that show. How can residuals be THAT small?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hollywood Strike!

Despite the last-minute involvement of a federal mediator, the 160,000-member union was unable to secure a deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios in labor dealings. The old collective bargaining agreement expired Wednesday night without a deal in place.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

regardless of my humor...... Cheese..... I'm with you. Get all the cash baby. the streaming data, and all the money/backpay you are owed. I can watch sports and *GULP* reality TV next year if need be.
I thought She Hulk was good. :shrug:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The streaming residuals are an affront to common decency.
The costs for the residuals from steaming is going to be passed onto the consumer via price hikes, which the general public will cry over like they do with every increase. I'd be more than happy to pay more to ensure that the writers are getting their fair share.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The costs for the residuals from steaming is going to be passed onto the consumer via price hikes, which the general public will cry over like they do with every increase. I'd be more than happy to pay more to ensure that the writers are getting their fair share.

Agree, after getting rid of cable; albeit still having YT TV and a slew of other subscriptions, I still feel like I get great value especially with some of these high quality productions we've been getting as of late.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
y'all shouldn't have to pay more of ANYTHING. The studios are hoarding this money. literally. not even paying for entire shows (in my case) much less not enough in residuals they actually pay.

if the streamers start raising prices "because of the writer's demands" you need to know that is a load of HORSE-MANURE.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard