Writer's Strike

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris!

All of your support on this thread has meant a lot to me and everyone else involved in this fight for the last five months!

I really hope you guys get what you deserve from your residuals.

When I was young and full of hope, I was attempting to write/draw strip newspaper comics and at the same time going through school, I was briefly picked up by a few small papers but upon learning how little I'd make even with decent syndication I gave up.

I've been pondering taking it back up now that people can self publish via instagram but I don't have the same inspiration that I did... and I've hardly drawn since I quit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tentative deal is a fantastic development, but remember, the actors are still striking. Hopefully there will be a lot of material out there (even more than normal) once that is resolved.
Yup.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is good news. Get all this stuff finally done and put people back to work!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned before I went to HS with a guy who's a comedian, Suli McCullough. He was in a Wayans Brothers movie, the TV show and some other stuff and has been a comedy writer for years. In fact he was one of the people who wrote the joke that came right before Will Smith slapped Chris Rock, apparently all the writers on that have agreed to NOT disclose who wrote that specific joke because it was such a controversy.

He's been posting about the strike on FB and pointing out how little money they actually get compared to what we think and that he's happy that some of the actors and comedians have been standing up on the side of the writers through it.

He's posting he's happy about the deal. One of the interesting points that came up was a lawyer friend of his kept asking how is this even legal, when Nirvana sued and won against Napster in a case about a streaming service using IP without permission, that should have established a precedent. So how was this situation allowed to get this far?

No idea if that case is important in the deal or not but it was something I hadn't seen before.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Off topic, NPR said the gaming industry actors may be going on strike. They are concerned with tech issues like the SAG union.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it appears to be over.

Here is a funny bit by Harlan Williams from about a month ago:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, looks like we got a decent amount of what we struck for. Residual bonuses based on viewership, minimum staffing, solid AI protection and the normal increases a new contract brings.

One big one that always bothered me is Staff Writers finally getting their script fee along with every other writer. That’s a healthy check per episode that staff writers, the lowest writer on the totem pole, didn’t get that every other writer on staff would for their specific episodes written.

Gonna head to the Palladium tonight for a huge WGA meeting where details of the deal will be gone into in more… uh… detail.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, looks like we got a decent amount of what we struck for. Residual bonuses based on viewership, minimum staffing, solid AI protection and the normal increases a new contract brings.

One big one that always bothered me is Staff Writers finally getting their script fee along with every other writer. That’s a healthy check per episode that staff writers, the lowest writer on the totem pole, didn’t get that every other writer on staff would for their specific episodes written.

Gonna head to the Palladium tonight for a huge WGA meeting where details of the deal will be gone into in more… uh… detail.
You need practice before going back to work.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great news. Was there anything you guys were hoping for that you did not get?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard