Writers Strike (Reloaded)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's upon us and I have a feeling it could get REALLY ugly. This is the first walkout of any kind in Hollywood from the Writers, Actors or Directors since 1988 and that strike lasted 5 months. Here's my call on the situation - NOTHING happens for at least the next two months. This month will all be about posturing andd taking as hard-line stances as possible and then there's the Thanksgiving break, from which everyone will come back and two weeks later... everyone will leave AGAIN for TWO MORE WEEKS.

Thus, I see nothing getting done until after New Year's. At that point, it will be two months and most shows will have run out of scripts to shoot, not to mention they will start running thin on what they can put on the air. Only at that point will we see any movement on either side. Then, if nothing happens quickly, I forsee relative Armaggedon as the Producers see a looming Actors/Directors strike coming in June and start to weigh the benefits of even getting a deal done with the Writer's if there's the possibility that by the time they do, they still won't be able to get accomplished what they want with two more strikes on the horizon. If that happens, it's gonna be a complete and utter disaster.

So, folks enjoy your shows now, while they're on because they may not be on for long and let's all hope the negotiators for both sides realize that NO ONE wins in these type of things and hopefully they can get this whole crap finished sooner rather than later.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It looks like Broadway couls be in for a tough holiday season too.
Local One Stagehands most likely will be going on strike.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117973805.html?categoryid=18&cs=1

Shutdown looms over Broadway
Producers, stagehands at impasse
By GORDON COXBroadway shows continued to perform Wednesday even as the Rialto teetered on the verge of a shutdown, with contract talks between producers and the stagehands union in a deep-freeze impasse.
The League of American Theaters and Producers publicly rejected on Wednesday the last, best offer laid on the table Tuesday night by the union, Local One.

Producers, indicating they remain open to a "serious response" from the union, gave no indication of any potential timeline for a management-initiated lockout of Local One that would darken the majority of Broadway shows.

The lockout remains the most urgent possibility since a strike could not occur before a special meeting of union membership is held to vote on approving the labor action -- a vote that would be followed by a request for strike authorization from the international leadership of umbrella union IATSE. Local One has planned a Saturday meeting for its New York members, but this session is not designated a strike vote, according to a rep.

Some in the industry have begun to hear whispers that IATSE international prexy Thomas C. Short has privately told Broadway theater owners that he would not authorize a strike should the local, headed by James J. Claffey Jr., request it.

Both the international and the local office had no comment, but the rumors seemed plausible thanks to long-standing (and far from secret) friction between the local and international leadership of the stagehands union. During the 2003 Broadway musicians strike, Short reportedly assured producers that Local One would not honor the musicians' picket lines -- but union members did so anyway.

If the current chatter is true, the move could seriously undermine the local's bargaining power with producers. One theory holds that producers will forgo a lockout, instead simply refusing to budge on contract terms because they know the local will not be authorized to strike.

Neither side, however, would acknowledge such talk on the record.

In rejecting the union's final offer, league exec director Charlotte St. Martin said in a statement, "The union's proposal insists on retaining egregious contract features."

She pointed specifically to the offer's requirement of a flyman on all productions, even on shows with no fly cues. League estimated an unnecessary fly operator would cost producers more than $160,000 a year.

Local One, for its part, refused to discuss specific negotiation points in the press. The union's last, best offer was issued late Tuesday night in response to the final offer the producers had laid out earlier that evening.

Tuesday's showdown came after the League and Local One had been locked in contentious contract renegotiations for several weeks.

The central sticking points are work rules governing the number of stagehands whom producers are contractually required to employ, particularly for the process of installing a physical production into a Broadway theater.

Producers want to achieve flexibility in rules they consider outmoded and indefensibly expensive, while stagehands contend that such obligations are protections of their livelihood that they will not give up without an equal exchange.

Stagehands have been working without a contract since the previous agreement expired at the end of July.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
So what happens to shows like The Daily Show and The Tonight Show??

Jon Stewart was saying something about it lastnight at the end of the show but my DVR cut off....

Any ideas?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So what happens to shows like The Daily Show and The Tonight Show??

Jon Stewart was saying something about it lastnight at the end of the show but my DVR cut off....

Any ideas?

Reruns, immediately. These are the first shows affected.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy stuff Cheese.

I guess office has 5-6 eps in the can. Late night TV is going to be rough.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I have plenty of other things to occupy my time. I think alot of Americans do too, so best of luck to whoever is involved and striking. I'm pretty sure I'll survive.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TV ruined this country. We'l be fine without it for a few months. :D

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
TV ruined this country. We'l be fine without it for a few months. :D

I have found that when I am too busy to watch TV I don't miss it and sometimes my wife complains that we have to much recorded and need to watch some to keep it from erasing random stuff. Lately I have been telling her to watch it by herself and erase it.

I wonder if something similar will happen if everything turns to reruns. Will people get out of the habit of watching TV?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have 2 shows I watch; Heroes & How I Met Your Mother. They're both on Monday night. Other than being bummed my Monday night ritual will be dumped, this really won't affect me much.

My parents, who LIVE in front of the TV (I think they'd rather watch tv than talk to each other) will be in for a world of hurt, unless they can just watch reruns & be happy...which they probably will.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I only really watch Heroes and Lost. If I miss other stuff, it's not a major catastrophy. I guess I really only use it for background noise.

How about the Amazing Race, which is starting Sunday? I am guessing/hoping the season is already done since it's a reality show. Am I wrong?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I only really watch Heroes and Lost. If I miss other stuff, it's not a major catastrophy. I guess I really only use it for background noise.

How about the Amazing Race, which is starting Sunday? I am guessing/hoping the season is already done since it's a reality show. Am I wrong?

According to EW, reality shows will not be affected since they are not wirtten and we will see more reality shows like "Farmer Wants a Wife" on the CW. I kid you not about that title.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that kinda sucks. I need my Office fix.

Oh well, I guess I could re-watch X-Files or Friends during this time.

And YAY project runway!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies to our friends here in television who are having the livelihoods put at risk, but I'm on the writer's side. I know, big surprise, but it irks me that these billion dollar corporations expect writers to give their work away for the purpose of developing an online market while receiving none of the benefit of risk. And if they did get an online market going, do you think they'd compensate writers for it? They'd say, "Oh, no, the profit margin is so small, and if we paid you for that work it will kill the market."

I call BS. Better for the writers to get their piece now so as these companies pursue selling content online, they'll already have writers' fees in the budget and bad precedent won't be established. The profit margin won't be imaginary.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as ESPN (or any sporting events) and the History channel arent effected, I can live without Comedy Central for awhile.. I really dont watch much tv anyways..

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies to our friends here in television who are having the livelihoods put at risk, but I'm on the writer's side. I know, big surprise, but it irks me that these billion dollar corporations expect writers to give their work away for the purpose of developing an online market while receiving none of the benefit of risk. And if they did get an online market going, do you think they'd compensate writers for it? They'd say, "Oh, no, the profit margin is so small, and if we paid you for that work it will kill the market."

I call BS. Better for the writers to get their piece now so as these companies pursue selling content online, they'll already have writers' fees in the budget and bad precedent won't be established. The profit margin won't be imaginary.
Joss Whedon is on the side of the writers. That's all I needed to hear :)

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I mostly watch M*A*S*H and The Andy Griffith Show re-runs, TCM, The Military Channel and The History Channel, along with sports. I honestly won't notice, I don't think.

That being said, I hope the writers get a fair deal soon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

There is no online market, hate to break it to people that don't know exactly what is going on.

I agree on the ridiculous royalty issues with DVD, but this whole thing about online revenue is ridiculous, because online doesn't make any money. There's no revenue to share.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
There is no online market, hate to break it to people that don't know exactly what is going on.

I agree on the ridiculous royalty issues with DVD, but this whole thing about online revenue is ridiculous, because online doesn't make any money. There's no revenue to share.

I guess I fall into the catagory of the people you "hate to break it to".

My uninformed question is, if there is no online market and none in development, why does the Allience have such a problem giving a share of nothing?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson