Wow Logan

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He played well no doubt.

Before I get all hyped up about the kid I'm still gonna have to see him do it consistantly against the #1's instead of 3rd stringers because I still think he's gonna have accuracy issues.

Maybe Moore & BA are gonna make him an NFL QB, maybe not! 1 game ain't gonna change who he's been IMO. I've heard the same "go crazy hype" in preseason before with Skelton, Hall, Stoney Case, Lindley, Navarre, etc

You may have to wait a year or two to see that. The Cardinals have no intention of LT ever seeing the field this year. Not even in mop up duty. There's a chance we don't see him next year either. Regardless, you have to be excited about what we saw Saturday. I also thought I heard that he had a very high wonderlic score. He's no doubt raw, but his upside is off the charts

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Johnny Football tucked and ran it a whole bunch, while Logan played a pocket game... which is what Arians wants. Johnny is 5'11, Logan is 6'6, I wonder which one will last longer?

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thomas is the man. Can't wait for the future for this kid... Hope he is still a Cardinal

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I loved the pick of LT, and was very pleased with his first outing, I am very much tempered.

His accuracy issues were not present in the game on Saturday, but he was also playing against lower caliber players and with a massive lead in a meaningless game. His real test will be in pressure situations with poor conditions and down a score with little time left...that will be where his accuracy woes will either surface or show improvement. When he presses and tries to make things happen does he shine or fall apart.

I am very excited to see he can drill it in there accurately when he's playing relaxed. That bodes VERY well. But that doesn't mean his accuracy issues are behind him. Bad habits and mechanics tend to come out at the absolute worst possible times.

But step one, I think he was well beyond what a lot of people expected. And man, what a freaking arm.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Did anyone watch LT at VaTech? If you did, then this performance, and the roller coaster performances he will have in his upcoming games, will look familiar.

LT looks the part, has the arm, but does not have the accuracy and makes questionable decisions with the ball. Typical cannon-armed QB that thinks they can burn lasers into small windows with their arms.

Trust me, dont buy the hype quite yet (especially playing against 3rd-4th string guys on a BAD Texans team to begin with)

Better than a stick in the eye? Yes, but not by much....

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did anyone watch LT at VaTech? If you did, then this performance, and the roller coaster performances he will have in his upcoming games, will look familiar.

LT looks the part, has the arm, but does not have the accuracy and makes questionable decisions with the ball. Typical cannon-armed QB that thinks they can burn lasers into small windows with their arms.

Trust me, dont buy the hype quite yet (especially playing against 3rd-4th string guys on a BAD Texans team to begin with)

Accuracy is mechanics, and from what I gather they've much improved.

For the first time the kid has proper coaching and real talent on the receiving end.

As for the other side, they're still better than what he faced in College.

No one should get caught up in the hype, but recognizing the promise is hardly pollyanish.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

For the first time the kid has proper coaching and real talent on the receiving end.

No one should get caught up in the hype, but recognizing the promise is hardly pollyanish.

Yup.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I know you didn't say it, but accuracy isn't all mechanics. Skill, talent & anticipation are the others. Therefore it's only part of the solution or problem of an inaccurate QB ;)

Hope big #6 has turned the corner, but he's still got a longgggg way to go IMO

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you didn't say it, but accuracy isn't all mechanics. Skill, talent & anticipation are the others. Therefore it's only part of the solution or problem of an inaccurate QB ;)

Hope big #6 has turned the corner, but he's still got a longgggg way to go IMO

:thumbup:

Kurt Warner could NEVER throw a tight a spiral as Thomas did on at least a half dozen throws on Saturday night. But Warner's anticipation was uncanny almost. I can't recall how many times I saw BEFORE the WR made his break, and while the WR was still COVERED, Warner would let the ball go and hit the WR right on the numbers while the WR was still in what would be tight coverage in the NCAA.

I was thrilled with Thomas Saturday, because I doubted he could perform like that in practice, much less preseason. But, he still has a long way to go before we should hang our hat on him as "the guy".

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He played well no doubt.

Before I get all hyped up about the kid I'm still gonna have to see him do it consistantly against the #1's instead of 3rd stringers because I still think he's gonna have accuracy issues.

Maybe Moore & BA are gonna make him an NFL QB, maybe not! 1 game ain't gonna change who he's been IMO. I've heard the same "go crazy hype" in preseason before with Skelton, Hall, Stoney Case, Lindley, Navarre, etc

Bucky, your memory is fuzzy. With those guys it was "where did they get these clowns? Are the Cardinals crazy?"

:D

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right after we drafted him, I went and watched as many VT games last year as possible. What I noticed was that VT had a freshman left tackle & a horrible set of receivers that ALL had alligator arms. The running game was so pathetic, that I found myself looking for Russ Grimm on their sideline. They were consistently in 3rd & longs all day. If he had a better offensive team around him, I seriously doubt he would have been around in the 4th round. I obviously came away impressed with his physical tools, but he exhibited strong leadership too. And btw, does everyone realize that he had a 31 on his wonderlic.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but he was a tremendous value pick in the 4th round.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Better than Pat White? Ha!

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Very impressed with the arm strength and accuracy from Logan. He has worked hard in camp, and it showed on Saturday. Not sure how anyone could take anything less than a complete success from his performance against Houston.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://merrilhoge.com/tv-lies-and-highlights-really-lie-only-coachs-tape-tells-the-truth

Buried deep in this evaluation of Manziel and others, by Merril Hoge, is some praise for Logan

" If you want to avoid the hype and watch a rookie QB that got ZERO Hype, watch the Cardinals rookie QB Logan Thomas.* Thomas was VERY impressive in his first game and did things like go thru progressions and reads correctly and made big time throws.* Logan Thomas should show massive improvement from college to the NFL and showed he has a better QB skill set than Manziel will ever have."

Reaction score
http://merrilhoge.com/tv-lies-and-highlights-really-lie-only-coachs-tape-tells-the-truth

Buried deep in this evaluation of Manziel and others, by Merril Hoge, is some praise for Logan

" If you want to avoid the hype and watch a rookie QB that got ZERO Hype, watch the Cardinals rookie QB Logan Thomas.* Thomas was VERY impressive in his first game and did things like go thru progressions and reads correctly and made big time throws.* Logan Thomas should show massive improvement from college to the NFL and showed he has a better QB skill set than Manziel will ever have."

Awesome.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Boom! Even though Hoge is a dope. :)

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I found the entire piece to be a very interesting read. I don't know how good of a talent evaluator Hoge is, but he certainly had some opinions that were contrary to the conventional wisdom / hype, and supported them with specifics from the coaches' video. He sure destroyed Clowney and his performance vs. the Cardinals, in strong contrast to the mainstream reporting! And his short blurb on Logan Thomas matched what we saw in the game.

...dave

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our drafting makes me smile, Keim Time is simply enjoyable. Between Mikey just wanting to win, Keim and Arians eyeballing and thinking everything out, our Forbes money man figuring out how to ink Peterson while making complete financial and football sense... all that with free agents now looking at us in a good way...

I'm so thankful, Logan feels like a winner, and I'm not desperate in saying this. I know desperation, we all do. We have had to choose from Scud, Kolbcussion, Skeleton, Hot tub, Friendly, Midget Max, the list goes on and on but that was just all in recent history, the Whiz history, but he did hit pay dirt with Warner, and they were great together.

Logan is young as hell, but truth be told, he looked like a #1 pick in his first pre-season game. He held himself to those types of standards. Some of his passes scared the crap out of me but he comfortably gunned them in. He didn't run, even though he could have on numerous plays, homie is working on his arm and his recognition of what's in the moment.

Dedication is what I saw, not relying on old habits is wht I saw. Absorbing what he saw Palmer and Stanton did, like it was a practice drill. It's mad early, might have just been in the zone, but he has that zone, and I'll eat crow for breakfast lunch and dinner, in anticipation of a winner.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I find the reasoning and conclusion that a QB is inaccurate and cant be fixed based solely on completion percentage to be lacking and unconvincing.

Nothing is static in the evaluation and multiple data points are required for analysis which is ongoing and incomplete. Completing passes, while heavily dependent on the QB, is always a team effort.

Saturday's performance was a good initial result and that is all it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison