Wow Logan

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Did Lindley ever have a game that good even in pre-season?
They should cut Lindley today and give him a better chance to catch on somewhere else.
Ive said feom the beginning that Lindley would have to be head and shoulders better for him to make the team. If it is even close they will not waste a 4th round pick by cutting Thomas.

That being said it kind of shows you how highly BA thinks of Lindley that he is still here.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians was pleasantly surprised in Thomas's performance after the game.

"He had a nice, calm demeanor," Arians said. "He threw some balls in there that made me hold my breath, but the guys caught them. He was very, very good."
"I felt very comfortable. Don't get me wrong. I messed up my fair share of stuff, but I felt good, felt relaxed," Thomas said. "A lot more relaxed than I thought I was going to be going into the game."

Going into his first NFL action, Thomas said the coaching staff wanted him to focus on three things: making good reads, making quick decisions and not being afraid to use his feet if the right throw isn't available.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-under-center-for-arizona-cardinals/13856519/

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How quickly we forget the Max Hall effect.

Logan Thomas looked great against guys who won't be in the NFL in a couple of weeks. He has a long long way to go before he is ready for a real NFL game.

True but his accuracy was surprising and with accuracy and that velocity even a starting DB will have a hard time getting his hands between the receiver and the ball, especially on the out patterns. As for Max Hall, who knows how good he might have been if he were 6'6", 250 lbs and ran 4.5 40 and wasn't rushed into service. Point is, Max wasn't all that in terms of physical gifts and LT is so hopefully we take our time and end up with a stud QB. The fact that he could do what he did last night at least shows promise and Tom Moore and BA are the right guys to extract that promise if it can be extracted.

He was more accurate that Stanton who was behind open receivers on more than one occasion.

machgman

Veteran
Reaction score
A little bit of perspective, please

How quickly we forget the Max Hall effect.

Logan Thomas looked great against guys who won't be in the NFL in a couple of weeks. He has a long long way to go before he is ready for a real NFL game.

Still it was a very nice performance by the rookie!

Max never looked decent or great against NFL 2s and 3s, and horrible against 1s. All he did was easily trick Whisenhunt into playing him by learning and being able to recite the playbook. With that alone, Whisenhunt (being the desperate and crummy coach he was who rode on Warner's success and never truly gave Warner credit) stated Hall earned his start.

Come on, give LT his credit for playing well against 2s and 3s with the Cards 2s and 3s. Besides, if he cannot do this against 2s and 3s, he certainly can't do it against someone's 1s.

And keep in mind that NO OTHER rookie QB played anywhere as well a LT did against the Texans. Check out Bortles, Manziel, Teddy, or even the second year QBs for Buffalo and Jets and you will find they had pedestrian outings.

You gotta dominate the 2s and 3s before they will let you play against the best the NFL offers.

BTW, isn't Tom Moore one genius of a QB coach?

I am also hoping the Cards see they may have drafted lightning in a bottle in LT and cut Lindley's time (give the guy a chance to see if Tom Moore's genius has rubbed off on him), but pull him as soon as he shows he is still who he was in college and with the Cards (55% or less completion rate) and give his time to LT to foster his development.

machgman

Veteran
Reaction score
Another Comes To Mind in overcoming a mediocre college career

If Logan where to somehow overcome a mediocre college career and convert his obvious talents to a long NFL career, it will be because of three things; Logan himself and from what I hear he is the last guy to leave practice and he seems to realize the gift of having the chance to play professional football, Arians and Moore for living up to their classification of QB gurus, and lastly Carson Palmer because it seems he is being one hell of a mentor to the kid

Perhaps we should keep in mind that there is another college QB who overcame a so-so career at Northern Iowa, was undrafted, signed a UFA contract with the Packers, was laughed off the team by Farve because the QB refused to enter a preseason game because he did not know how to run the plays being called, left football, stocked shelves, played Arena League to where he won championships, when to NFL Europe, signed a FA contract with the Rams, took over when the starting QB tore a knee, faced no confidence by the head coach who viewed him as a backup, and then won the MVP and Super Bowl.

If someone wrote that script of this real life journey before it actually happened, no one would have ever thought it possible outside of a Hollywood fantasy movie of the week.

Perhaps LT will have some of that successful script in his life if he works as hard to chase his dream as Kurt Warner did. LT has a lot more talent than Warner did, so the sky is the limit.

Reaction score
Impressive 1st outing by Logan Thomas! Yes, it was only pre-season, and yes, it was against 2nd and 3rd string players, some of whom will be on the street in a few weeks. But,in my opinion, here is the key, last night Thomas played with others in which he has confidence, and he played within the framework of the offense.

At VT the last couple of years, it was always Logan Thomas trying to use his athletic ability to make a play because the team around him was not very good. Last night, Thomas played within the offense and let the game come to him, he didn't need to play the "hero" role.

Keep working, young man!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LT's 1 incompletion - a deep ball to Walt Powell where he overthrew him by 3-4 yards (approximately).

What a difference between that & Stanton underthrowing a deep ball to John Brown by 5+ yards. Luckily we got the pass interference call to keep the drive alive.

It looked like Powell slowed down during that play (maybe he got grabbed a little)... if that's John Brown then it's probably a long touchdown play instead.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lindley will get his shot next game. Arians has been clear.

I think we have 4 or so tapes of Lindley. While he hasn't had the chance to compete with the current supporting group we have now (coaching staff included), I don't see him matching the comfortable display we got to google yesterday. Logan was friggin passing on open receivers, and scanning the field, and than going back to the best choice.

Palmer and Stanton made it look so easy, he had to be sitting there watching them last night thinking to himself... "I can do that, I can make that pass, wow Palmer took a licking and kept on ticking, I need to do that". Even when Stanton came in I saw him watching, and Stanton made it look easy too but I saw Logan do the shoulder lean when Drew was off on on off passes, he wanted the ball to get there.

This whole damn team was infested with "I can do it syndrome" yesterday, it was a messed up ********* at one point. But Logan (I'm going with Logan because there are too many Thomass's in NFL history) was hated on by many, myself included (I will never be in NFL history), but the rest is history, this kid can play, and thank goodness nobody listens to me.

:)

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Agreed, but I can't recall any of our 3rd string QBs ever looking THAT good against another 3rd string. Man, he throws a nice ball.

All true but look at highlights from all the other games and see how many 3rd string QBs looked horrible. Like I said I can't remember Lindley ever looking that good even against garbage.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All true but look at highlights from all the other games and see how many 3rd string QBs looked horrible. Like I said I can't remember Lindley ever looking that good even against garbage.
I can't remember Lindley looking anywhere near that good ever. He has been less than average all along.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max never looked decent or great against NFL 2s and 3s, and horrible against 1s. All he did was easily trick Whisenhunt into playing him by learning and being able to recite the playbook. With that alone, Whisenhunt (being the desperate and crummy coach he was who rode on Warner's success and never truly gave Warner credit) stated Hall earned his start.

Come on, give LT his credit for playing well against 2s and 3s with the Cards 2s and 3s. Besides, if he cannot do this against 2s and 3s, he certainly can't do it against someone's 1s.

And keep in mind that NO OTHER rookie QB played anywhere as well a LT did against the Texans. Check out Bortles, Manziel, Teddy, or even the second year QBs for Buffalo and Jets and you will find they had pedestrian outings.

You gotta dominate the 2s and 3s before they will let you play against the best the NFL offers.

BTW, isn't Tom Moore one genius of a QB coach?

I am also hoping the Cards see they may have drafted lightning in a bottle in LT and cut Lindley's time (give the guy a chance to see if Tom Moore's genius has rubbed off on him), but pull him as soon as he shows he is still who he was in college and with the Cards (55% or less completion rate) and give his time to LT to foster his development.

I disagree. Hall had solid games against the Titans and Redskins backups. It wasn't until he started to face the first stringers that he really started to struggle.

And let me just say that I'm very excited about LT. I was when we drafted him and I enjoyed watching him play last night.

I'm just reminding everyone here what he is right now. Every year this board gets excited about one of our backup QBs in the preseason. However when these backups get put in a real game situation, against first stringers who have actually game planned against them, it's a whole different ball game!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
John Skelton (2010): 5/6, 84 yards, 14 yards per pass attempt, 1 TD, no Ints, no sacks, no rushing attempts. QB rating = 158.3.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I disagree. Hall had solid games against the Titans and Redskins backups. It wasn't until he started to face the first stringers that he really started to struggle.

And let me just say that I'm very excited about LT. I was when we drafted him and I enjoyed watching him play last night.

I'm just reminding everyone here what he is right now. Every year this board gets excited about one of our backup QBs in the preseason. However when these backups get put in a real game situation, against first stringers who have actually game planned against them, it's a whole different ball game!
I disagree about Hall having solid games. I'm not saying that he sucked but 'solid' is just a tad to strong a word for me. But that is just semantics.

Anyway, I think the most jmprotant thing here is that we are talking about our backup QBs and NOBODY is arguing that they should start any time soon. Its kind of a nice change.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I love the fans trying to temper (their own) expectations by saying its Houston and Preseason. ya no ---- we all get it. No one is saying he should start Game 1.

Point is some liked the pick but even if you did it would have been less then 5% chance he came in and look that polished because you know, he was supposed to be rarer then ahi tuna. The fact that he has taken Whitfields teaching, and now Moore, Goodwin, and Arians and translating it his very first opportunity is a VERY VERY good sign. Lets face it had he looked bad, most would be saying yeah thats what we expected will take time. And some would have freaked out like they always do proclaiming him a bust when its WAYYYY too soon to make that kind of call. But thats not what happened.

No one is putting him in Canton but its reasonable to think not only can he play, but maybe sooner then we all thought too.

Lets put it this way. Almost never do guys who end up elite throw up a stink bomb the first time the lights go on. They show flashes and keep getting better better better.

The good news about last night is we can all dream about this guy being ELITE at some point now. Its officially on the table. Will it happen? Who knows? But its a GREAT first step.

And as for people who cite Skeleton and Hall? Seriously? First off neirther of those guys has the tools that Thomas has, and neither was hailed a potential 1st pick at any point. Those scrappers were lucky to make the NFL. And 2 - that wasnt BA. That was Wiz. Nuff said.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You certainly get the sense that the QB coaching is much more solid than it has been in the past. Good coaches see the tools and potential and bring it out. Looks like that is what is happening here.

BTW, no one is saying much about Carson Palmer. It is so nice to have competence in the starting QB position. He might not be pro-bowl material at this point, but you have a sense that the offense is in good hands.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A couple of things that he showed last night, regardless of who he was up against, were accuracy and arm strength. The arm strength was known but his accuracy was viewed as a weakness. The fact that he showed that much promise in what was viewed as a major weak area only makes the future look that much better.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He played well no doubt.

Before I get all hyped up about the kid I'm still gonna have to see him do it consistantly against the #1's instead of 3rd stringers because I still think he's gonna have accuracy issues.

Maybe Moore & BA are gonna make him an NFL QB, maybe not! 1 game ain't gonna change who he's been IMO. I've heard the same "go crazy hype" in preseason before with Skelton, Hall, Stoney Case, Lindley, Navarre, etc

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You certainly get the sense that the QB coaching is much more solid than it has been in the past. Good coaches see the tools and potential and bring it out. Looks like that is what is happening here.

BTW, no one is saying much about Carson Palmer. It is so nice to have competence in the starting QB position. He might not be pro-bowl material at this point, but you have a sense that the offense is in good hands.
Having Tom Moore to teach QB's is huge for our club.

Palmer looked so comfortable out there. Way ahead of last year when he was still learning the system.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen