Would you make this trade.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s 29? I didn’t realize he was that old. I want to stop the cycle of barely hanging onto centers. It’s time to draft a good one and not worry about that position for awhile.
I can get on board with it if we can actually draft and develop one. I’ve yet to see the organization do it successfully in my lifetime though, hence my hesitation. It’s really sad that Lyle Sendlien is the bar we’re trying to get back to.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you simply have to convince them that, though Anderson is their guy in a trade down, the temptation of getting a haul of picks for another team to jump up and draft a QB is real.
Well yeah, but insisting that the Colts not draft Anderson tips your hand that you have an exceptionally big difference in value between trading back to #4 vs. #7, which enables them to offer far less than the Raiders or anyone else.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well yeah, but insisting that the Colts not draft Anderson tips your hand that you have an exceptionally big difference in value between trading back to #4 vs. #7, which enables them to offer far less than the Raiders or anyone else.
I think you just ask the Colts who they're coming up to get. These guys work together and they're generally honest with each other. Will Anderson isn't really worth burning decades of credibility on.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Absolutely. I don't think it gives us a haul to trade down one spot. It'll get us a little something decent, though, and the more picks the merrier.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Does it really “tip your hand?” This has to be the worst kept secret of the offseason.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it really “tip your hand?” This has to be the worst kept secret of the offseason.
Well the hope, which has risen to the level of expectation by many on the board, is that the Cardinals can convince the Colts that they're actually willing to trade down to 7 or lower to a team wanting to take a QB, and the Colts will believe them and give them a modest haul to trade up to #3.

If the Cards try to get something from the Colts while also insisting that the Colts not take Anderson, it kinda undermines their leverage and if I'm the Colts GM, I call the Cardinals' bluff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well the hope, which has risen to the level of expectation by many on the board, is that the Cardinals can convince the Colts that they're actually willing to trade down to 7 or lower to a team wanting to take a QB, and the Colts will believe them and give them a modest haul to trade up to #3.

If the Cards try to get something from the Colts while also insisting that the Colts not take Anderson, it kinda undermines their leverage and if I'm the Colts GM, I call the Cardinals' bluff.

I don't think Monti cares even a little.

The whole "trade back and still get Anderson" is a fan dream.

I think the FO cares far more about getting picks now and in the future than Will Anderson. I think the FO would have very little interest in a trade back with the Colts for a small fee other than to trade back again.

I think they would rather trade back to #11, or #16 or #22 and get a haul than a small trade back for little.

Will Anderson will be great but there is a strong argument to be made that in a deep Edge class it's much smarter to trade back and pick up Edge later while adding a bunch of top 100 picks.

Stout

Reaction score

I think the FO cares far more about getting picks now and in the future than Will Anderson. I think the FO would have very little interest in a trade back with the Colts for a small fee other than to trade back again.

I think they would rather trade back to #11, or #16 or #22 and get a haul than a small trade back for little.

Will Anderson will be great but there is a strong argument to be made that in a deep Edge class it's much smarter to trade back and pick up Edge later while adding a bunch of top 100 picks.
I'm afraid you're right, and it's a bad plan IMO. Let's punt on everything, including a top edge, because we can get a bunch of lesser picks with less chances of hitting. Yay?

Don't get me wrong. If Anderson weren't available at 3, I don't see another player worth it versus a trade down. I just see a great edge staring us in the face yet again, and I do not want us to much it up like we did the last time. This is very much a situation where we can easily avoid (bad) history repeating itself.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're right, and it's a bad plan IMO. Let's punt on everything, including a top edge, because we can get a bunch of lesser picks with less chances of hitting. Yay?

Don't get me wrong. If Anderson weren't available at 3, I don't see another player worth it versus a trade down. I just see a great edge staring us in the face yet again, and I do not want us to much it up like we did the last time. This is very much a situation where we can easily avoid (bad) history repeating itself.

I think if you're going to do it this is the year. I get your point but I think it depends on the quality of the draft. Trading back in the 2011 draft would be fine with that depth of talent.

I feel like this year is similar. I think the top of this draft is pretty strong maybe as far back as #20 depending what you are looking for.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Indy pretty much called the Cards bluff and knows they can stay at 4 and get their qb. Stroud, Young go 1 and 2 leaving AR15, Revis who might be atop their board. It would likely be Det or Was that would trade with Cards.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The way I view the first round is that you don't trade chances at a blue chip player for even the chance at three red chip players.

This draft really one has maybe two blue chip front seven players in Anderson and Carter. Carter obviously has some question marks.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Let's not get into the Walter M. mind reading. We don't have an inkling, let alone can reach any conclusion on what Monti thinks and how he'll approach this draft.

The FO can get pick(s) now and possibly in the future with a DHop trade.

And frankly, your second sentence contradicts the first - IMO.

Moving down one with the Colts garners a later pick, pure gravy, and still guarantees we get Anderson.

The CARDS have gone through the pain of giving up a top 10 pick for additional later firsts, and it didn't turn out well.

You won't get much support for effectively hand-delivering Anderson to the Seahags.

We have five and could have 6/7 picks in the top 106. Arguably all would fall within the consensus top 100 prospects in the draft.

This is a solid down payment of prospects for the future.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I am in camp Anderson. However its easy to see why the staff may not be.
Aaron Donald was drafted at 13
Chandler Jones at 21
Both are arguably Hall of Famers... CJ55 was the best pass rusher in the league for like 5 seasons straight

If the draft process was so damn good,...neither of these guys would have made it out of the top 5 picks.

speaking of top 5 picks.. steve emtmann and tony Mandarich sure looked the part leading up to the draft.

in the nfl top 10 all time pass rushers,.. Bruce smith and LT were top 2 picks... Kevin Green was round 5,..and the mighty Deacon Jones was round 14

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Houston might trade down and still get Bryce Young so Cards likely miss Anderson. Everyone thinks BY is too small so what's stopping Houston from dropping down a few spots. Young might have fallen out of the top 5. Why wouldn't Houston trade down when they covet an injured quarterback.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chandler Jones at 21
Both are arguably Hall of Famers... CJ55 was the best pass rusher in the league for like 5 seasons straight

If the draft process was so damn good,...neither of these guys would have made it out of the top 5 picks.

speaking of top 5 picks.. steve emtmann and tony Mandarich sure looked the part leading up to the draft.

in the nfl top 10 all time pass rushers,.. Bruce smith and LT were top 2 picks... Kevin Green was round 5,..and the mighty Deacon Jones was round 14
Eh....I'd say those guys were outliers. The chances for success in the top 5 are significantly higher than pick 15. There are notable misses (think: Andre Wadsworth) but the hits can produce a higher chance of HOF quality talents (Patrick Peterson).

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh....I'd say those guys were outliers. The chances for success in the top 5 are significantly higher than pick 15. There are notable misses (think: Andre Wadsworth) but the hits can produce a higher chance of HOF quality talents (Patrick Peterson).
I think you could have used a MUCH Better example :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we still got Anderson sure. If the Colts moved up and drafted Anderson it would be one of the great all time burns. I am not certain at all they would take a QB with Anderson there. I mean we are talking about Levis or Richardson.

Stout

Reaction score
Chandler Jones at 21

lol By the logic you're trotting out, teams should always trade down and never stay with their top draft position. You could easily list more flops later and more hits higher.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Wadsworth was a health (knee), not a talent issue.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we still got Anderson sure. If the Colts moved up and drafted Anderson it would be one of the great all time burns. I am not certain at all they would take a QB with Anderson there. I mean we are talking about Levis or Richardson.

The reason for moving up would be evident in the trade discussion.

A GM's reputation in this small fraternity would be mud if he 'burned' another this way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wadsworth was a health (knee), not a talent issue.
Right, which isn't disproving my point.

Guys taken that high are generally very talented and less likely to busts. Injuries are often the reason when high picks bust, not talent.

#20 overall is usually a much higher bust rate. Just say no to trading down unless it's a HAUL of picks.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right, which isn't disproving my point.

Guys taken that high are generally very talented and less likely to busts. Injuries are often the reason when high picks bust, not talent.

#20 overall is usually a much higher bust rate. Just say no to trading down unless it's a HAUL of picks.

I have a hard time imagining an offer that would dissuade me from picking Anderson if he's on the board at #3 or, conceivably, #4 with a simple trade-down.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I have a hard time imagining an offer that would dissuade me from picking Anderson if he's on the board at #3 or, conceivably, #4 with a simple trade-down.
2 1sts, 3 2nds and I consider it. Add another 1st and I think that's an offer you can't refuse.