Wonderful, Let's Blow Money on Hollywood!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just don’t get the hate for Hollywood. Dude is the anti diva and actually wants to be here. He doesn’t skip practices, appears to have great character on and off the field and, still, wants to be here. Nobody has reported that he’s asking for or getting top tier money. He’s a good player and good guy. We are a better team with him. I hope and expect him to stay in the desert.
agree,
Like I posted before...we have to spend the money and there wont be enough quality players that fit in a single off season anyway... so we could front load his deal but make it a deal with a lower average value..get him a couple seasons of ego numbers but still be cheaper in the long run.
something like 5 years @ 80mil 30mil guaranteed then 14mil a year salaries for the first 3 years and 4mil a year the last 2 years.... cap hits at 19mil for three years then drop to 9mil for the last 2.... ..average yearly value of 16mil... he would look to some to be a bit overpaid at 19ml the first few years but it isnt way off market value... but the last 2 years at 14mil would be a bargain the way the cap grows...and it frees up space to re sign our shiny new WR1 after his third contract year...and IMO 16mil average value is a team friendly rate for Brown...of course, they can play around with roster bonuses and such to massage the numbers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t get the hate for Hollywood. Dude is the anti diva and actually wants to be here. He doesn’t skip practices, appears to have great character on and off the field and, still, wants to be here. Nobody has reported that he’s asking for or getting top tier money. He’s a good player and good guy. We are a better team with him. I hope and expect him to stay in the desert.

No one’s hating on him. Everything is so black and white with you. People just don’t want the team to overpay for a guy who isn’t majorly productive or a difference maker for now multiple teams.

There’s a reason the Ravens are always better than us. They’re smarter with their personnel and who they keep and get rid of and what assets are most important as far as the cap is concerned. Had he blown up here, great, the Ravens were wrong and we should make good on their mistake. But they knew well enough not to give this guy a big contract and with Lamar, their offense hasn’t skipped a beat without him.

But he didn’t blow up here. He’s putting up the same middling numbers, with or without Kyler, with or without Lamar.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No one’s hating on him. Everything is so black and white with you. People just don’t want the team to overpay for a guy who isn’t majorly productive or a difference maker for now multiple teams.

There’s a reason the Ravens are always better than us. They’re smarter with their personnel and who they keep and get rid of and what assets are most important as far as the cap is concerned. Had he blown up here, great, the Ravens were wrong and we should make good on their mistake. But they knew well enough not to give this guy a big contract and with Lamar, their offense hasn’t skipped a beat without him.

But he didn’t blow up here. He’s putting up the same middling numbers, with or without Kyler, with or without Lamar.
revisionist history.
the truth is, we have absolutely zero idea what the Ravens might have paid him.

the dude went to his boss and asked to be traded. They got a good deal so they made the trade.
That early in his rookie deal his contract value would have never come up in Baltimore.

concession... they did not have the mindset of "oh hell no we aint trading that guy"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
revisionist history.
the truth is, we have absolutely zero idea what the Ravens might have paid him.

the dude went to his boss and asked to be traded. They got a good deal so they made the trade.
That early in his rookie deal his contract value would have never come up in Baltimore.

concession... they did not have the mindset of "oh hell no we aint trading that guy"
None of that is revisionist history. He was going into his fourth year which means he was eligible for an extension. And guess what… the Ravens were smart enough to have the mindset of “oh hell no, we ain’t PAYING that guy.”

And then they fleeced our dumb asses. Paying a mediocre number 2, #1 money would be peak Cardinals.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
None of that is revisionist history. He was going into his fourth year which means he was eligible for an extension. And guess what… the Ravens were smart enough to have the mindset of “oh hell no, we ain’t PAYING that guy.”

And then they fleeced our dumb asses. Paying a mediocre number 2, #1 money would be peak Cardinals.
well I agree that continuing the trend of each guy becoming the highest paid guy at his position would be a bad idea. But a market value contract isnt out of the question.... average value 20mil plus?? No way...
average value under 17mil?? we can talk

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great character is not a reason to pay someone top shelf money

I used to frequent certain establishments as a young man - the types of places where you ask for $200 in singles to go along with your drink order

Never once did I see a performer lacking in talent and thought - "you know, she isn't the best and she's fallen off stage twice now but I bet she's a really good person"

I might give her a pity finsky or something - I do have a heart and appreciate the effort - but I aint making it rain unless some Olympic gymnast ish just took place
I really don’t see Hollywood leaving football for exotic dancing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well I agree that continuing the trend of each guy becoming the highest paid guy at his position would be a bad idea. But a market value contract isnt out of the question.... average value 20mil plus?? No way...

I think he is way below that value. Is he a top 40 receiver in the league? I don’t think so.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Everything is black and white with me yet you are qualified to speak for the entire world?

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Marquise Brown does not have a position on this team. He is not a #1 WR. I want a big, tall and fast receiver as a #1 WR. Kyle throwing jump balls to MB is ludicrous. He is not Hopkins. We have Wilson as a #2 WR at a much lower price. Save the money for the OL and DL. If the off season we need a LG, OC, a #1 CB, #1 WR and a complete DL. Some of these can be found in the draft but some will have to be filled in free agency.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Man, you’re gonna a super-surprised when you find out what the market rate for a top wideout in free agency is.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly- I'd be more than ok with letting him walk. A long contract with Hollywood is a trap. As others have stated - given his height, awareness- he's marginally better than Wilson as a number 2.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Again - I hope we let him explore free agency - and if he and Kyler are so tight - Hollywood can give the Cardinals the opportunity to match

I don't think Monti re-signs Hollywood straight up

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eh. Hollywood has been getting open down the field. Unfortunately the QBs have been unable to accurately capitalize on it.(including Kyler now)
Given it is true, that's exactly the reason why Cardinals should not pay and keep Hollywood, unless they are getting a new QB Who can capitalize on Hollywood' talent and playing style. The grass-fed prime ribeye at the butcher's shop has great marbles but I am a vegetarian. I think I will pass.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Given it is true, that's exactly the reason why Cardinals should not pay and keep Hollywood, unless they are getting a new QB Who can capitalize on Hollywood' talent and playing style. The grass-fed prime ribeye at the butcher's shop has great marbles but I am a vegetarian. I think I will pass.

If Kyler continues to be terrible at deep pass accuracy(last year and so far this year).then we should probably go the new QB route. His precision on 20+ yard plays was a significant factor making him a nightmare for defenses the first couple years in the league. His ceiling is far lower without it.