Women's World Cup

Lorenzo

Reaction score
They are looking really good tonight, controlling the game. Lloyd is still turning the ball over like crazy though.

Yeah she's been up and down. She's constantly opting to make the more difficult play as opposed to making the easy one. She needs to settle down. I like what these subs have done and I'm looking fwd to the weapons coming off the bench including a fresh press, leroux, and wambach. This is the best continuity I've seen they just better find the net. You'd rather be up now haven played sloppy than dominated and not have anything to show for it. No reason china should be in this game with a chance.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
For those that don't know, US women's team defender Julie Johnston is from Mesa. Went to high school and played soccer at Dobson High.

Johnston has been the MVP of this team. She's very unlucky not to have 2 or 3 goals by now. Excellent service and nice finish by Lloyd.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The U.S. Defense is just awesome. The MF played their best game today, hope they keep it up against Germany.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the game. U.S. dominated on both sides of the ball but just couldn't put it in the goal. Not for lack of chances.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree w/ Zeno. The forwards also pressured well and forced turnovers and it got contagious all the way back to the defense pressing fwd. I like keeping wambach fresh and in a limited role. No sense in playing her 90 she's just not as effective as the others would be for a full 90.

There is still improvement to be had but they are looking better every game without really looking beatable in the last 2 at any point.

The usa should have the fresh legs Tuesday with rapino and so many others rested or not having to go all out in this game. And Germany should have heavy legs.

Reaction score
Johnston has been the MVP of this team. She's very unlucky not to have 2 or 3 goals by now. Excellent service and nice finish by Lloyd.
I was thinking to post that same opinion on my previous post. She has been outstanding, being a defender she doesn't get as much notariety.

The U.S. Defense is just awesome. The MF played their best game today, hope they keep it up against Germany.
Terrific defense, great transition and recovery! I think the USA has allowed what, only one goal thus far in the tournament. Youv'e got a great chance to win if the other team doesn't score! ;)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I was thinking to post that same opinion on my previous post. She has been outstanding, being a defender she doesn't get as much notariety.

Terrific defense, great transition and recovery! I think the USA has allowed what, only one goal thus far in the tournament. Youv'e got a great chance to win if the other team doesn't score! ;)

It's a shame that Johnston doesn't get more glory. Obviously you don't take an attacking player like Morgan and put her on defense. But Johnston shows the value of perhaps putting your best overall player(or one of your best) on defense given that she used to be a midfielder/fwd. When you look at elite soccer teams they always have defenders that play out of the back and really are very much the backbone of keeping the ball just as midfielders are. Johnston's one on one tackling and contributions to the offense have been nothing short of spectacular. I can't wait for the day that our men's team has a central defender(s) capable of the same.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think USA wins today's game 1-0. Please don't let it come down to penalty kicks

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a shame that Johnston doesn't get more glory. Obviously you don't take an attacking player like Morgan and put her on defense. But Johnston shows the value of perhaps putting your best overall player(or one of your best) on defense given that she used to be a midfielder/fwd. When you look at elite soccer teams they always have defenders that play out of the back and really are very much the backbone of keeping the ball just as midfielders are. Johnston's one on one tackling and contributions to the offense have been nothing short of spectacular. I can't wait for the day that our men's team has a central defender(s) capable of the same.

Johnson and Saurbren in my opinion are the MVP's of the US team so far. Their defense has been awesome.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think USA wins today's game 1-0. Please don't let it come down to penalty kicks

Hate to say this but unless we do what the French did and keep Germany off balance I think Germany wins 2-0. Reason I think this is we still have had trouble scoring the whole tournament so far. Our front line and midfield needs to put pressure on the German back line and midfield so they do not have time to set up there offense. That is what France did. Kept them off balance. France should have won that game but failed to capitalize.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hate to say this but unless we do what the French did and keep Germany off balance I think Germany wins 2-0. Reason I think this is we still have had trouble scoring the whole tournament so far. Our front line and midfield needs to put pressure on the German back line and midfield so they do not have time to set up there offense. That is what France did. Kept them off balance. France should have won that game but failed to capitalize.
I think fatigue comes into play in today's game for Germany. USA will be on fresh legs and they must wear down Germany.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well so far I was wrong about the fatigue factor for Germany, they look fresh and strong to start the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Great win two crazy penalties, but the better team won. For me germany got very fortunate to beat France and looked out of gas for most of this game. But give germany credit they made a run in that second half. After the missed penalty it was one sided.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was wrong. Had the right score but for the wrong team. USA proved to me they were the better team. Hope England beats Japan tonight. Then I have my 2 favorite national teams playing.