Women's World Cup

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Excellent, they top the group of death. I wonder who they're playing in the knockout rounds.

They play the 3rd place team from another group. One possibility is France who is the #3 team in the world and could place third in their group. At least that is what they were saying last night.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They play the 3rd place team from another group. One possibility is France who is the #3 team in the world and could place third in their group. At least that is what they were saying last night.

Wait, are you sure third place teams go through? They don't on the men's side. So 3 out of every 4 teams advance? That's lame.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, are you sure third place teams go through? They don't on the men's side. So 3 out of every 4 teams advance? That's lame.

No. There are 4 3rd place wildcard teams from the 6 groups as well to make it an even 16 teams. With 24 teams, there isn't a way that really makes sense.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Before the men expanded to 32 teams it was the same way. The 1994 WC only had 24 teams and the US advanced as a third place team. Not all 3rd place teams go through--6 groups of 4 teams, top 2 advance and the top 4 third place teams also advance.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Huh, didn't realize all of this. They should expand to 32 teams, then.

I think they will eventually, not enough quality women's programs currently to justify it though. Ivory Coast has given up 16 goals in 3 games and Ecuador 17, I think they want to see less teams like that before they expand further.

On the topic of the US women, they sure don't look like a Cup winning team to me...4 goals scored through 3 games isn't anything great. The defense looks solid but they just generate very little in the attack. Carli Lloyd is a hole in the midfield, she contributes nothing to the attack and her passing has been awful...yet she starts and plays 90 every match.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think they will eventually, not enough quality women's programs currently to justify it though. Ivory Coast has given up 16 goals in 3 games and Ecuador 17, I think they want to see less teams like that before they expand further.

On the topic of the US women, they sure don't look like a Cup winning team to me...4 goals scored through 3 games isn't anything great. The defense looks solid but they just generate very little in the attack. Carli Lloyd is a hole in the midfield, she contributes nothing to the attack and her passing has been awful...yet she starts and plays 90 every match.

Lloyd has been pretty bad these 3 games. Offense better pick it up or they will be going home pretty quick.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Lloyd has been pretty bad these 3 games. Offense better pick it up or they will be going home pretty quick.

Maybe they should go to a 4-3-3 and have Press, Morgan and Leroux up top...that would be a headache for any opposing defense.

Speaking of Syndey Leroux...
You must be registered for see images attach

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hope we play Colombia....their goalie just picked up her 2nd yellow card and won't be able to play in Colombia's next game.:)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Columbia it is! Then the winner of China Cameroon. Then the tough test of France or Germany. Then the final.

Round of 16
USA vs Colombia - Monday June 22, 8pm

Potential Quarterfinals
USA vs Winner China/Cameroon - Friday June 26, 7:30pm

Potential Semifinal
USA vs Germany, Sweden, France or South Korea - Tuesday June 30, 7pm

Potential Final - Sunday July 5, 7pm

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe they should go to a 4-3-3 and have Press, Morgan and Leroux up top...that would be a headache for any opposing defense.

Speaking of Syndey Leroux...
You must be registered for see images attach

UM!!!! NICE!!!

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Colombia's star predicts win over U.S. because 'they like to talk so much'
"They belittle us. They think we're a team they're going to walk all over and it will be an easy game for them," Andrade said in an interview with USA TODAY Sports before leaning in to whisper her prediction:

"We're going to beat them since they like to talk so much."

Andrade has even predicted the outcome: In favor of Colombia by a score of either 2-1 or 1-0.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lady-andrade-abby-wambach-world-cup/28999129/
:|

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The women play tonight, hope they get their offensive issues resolved.

Brazil lost to the Aussies yesterday, that sort of puts the US victory over them in the first match in a more positive light.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The women play tonight, hope they get their offensive issues resolved.

Brazil lost to the Aussies yesterday, that sort of puts the US victory over them in the first match in a more positive light.

Brasil's coach was complaining about the bracket system. Did not hear all of it but I think he was saying they had a bad draw because they had to play a team that played second in it's group and not a 3rd place team. BOO HOO!!! Everybody played under the same rules. It just fell that way to Brasil.

Germany looked like a machine out there against Sweden. Should be great match against France this week. Will be DVR'ing the game if I have to work.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am just not feeling it with the US this year, they just don't look like serious contenders. Defensively they are playing as good as anyone but the offense just hasn't found any kind of consistency.

I suppose they could pull a Greece from the Euro 2004 and play lock down defense and pray for scoring off counters and set pieces but that is really difficult.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just not feeling it with the US this year, they just don't look like serious contenders. Defensively they are playing as good as anyone but the offense just hasn't found any kind of consistency.

I suppose they could pull a Greece from the Euro 2004 and play lock down defense and pray for scoring off counters and set pieces but that is really difficult.

It has to start with the Midfield and either Holiday (sp) or Lloyd either changing positions or one of them sitting. The combination of the two has been dreadful thus far.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is if the US doesn't win, I sure hope China doesn't. Watched the last 15 or so of their game with Cameroon, what an unlikable team. Flopping, stalling, several cheapshots.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
All I can say is if the US doesn't win, I sure hope China doesn't. Watched the last 15 or so of their game with Cameroon, what an unlikable team. Flopping, stalling, several cheapshots.

I don't want China to win either...if it isn't the US I would like to see the Aussies or Canada win it. Those 2 countries that have come a long way in the women's game in recent years and had very little success until this tournament.

Japan, Germany and Norway have all won it in the past so if not the US then some new blood.