Woj: Suns in a state of disrepair.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I don't think ESPN is writing this kind of article without permission from the NBA.

The question is what does the NBA hope to achieve with this? Does this mean they actually think Sarver can be made to sell, or is this just to shame him into getting an experienced GM to run things?

ESPN has written many pieces bashing dysfunctional sports franchises, this is nothing new. The Suns are the target of the day. Sarver has been in charge long enough now that claiming it's an isolated incident and not a sign of continual mismanagement is why they're going full on with it. I don't think there is anything in it for them other than ad revenue and clicks. They don't need permission from the NBA to post an article that their reporter sourced appropriately. They used to regularly rip Isiah Thomas' Knicks, whatever team hired Billy King, and Dan Gilbert running the Cavs. This really isn't new ground for them and I seriously doubt there is a hidden agenda.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn’t that goat story some sort of crime? Wtf is wrong with this guy?

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
The written story was at the masthead of espn.com for most of the day.

Isn’t that goat story some sort of crime? Wtf is wrong with this guy?
If you recall the old-skool terror warning color coded system, the goat story, and this story in general, rates as:

You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: Jon Stewart)

But it probably doesn't rise to the level of criminality. I guess if a goat drops a deuce in an office you own...y'know.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what is going on in the Suns org in response to this story? Are there staffers running around hiding all the keyboards? They can't keep him from seeing it. Or maybe they are sending the links to him hoping he will get it without them having to tell him? What must Sarver be thinking? He has to have seen this.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So what is going on in the Suns org in response to this story? Are there staffers running around hiding all the keyboards? They can't keep him from seeing it. Or maybe they are sending the links to him hoping he will get it without them having to tell him? What must Sarver be thinking? He has to have seen this.

The guy is an arrogant *****. It’s hard to imagine him selling and walking away right now. I’m sure he wants to turn this around and prove everybody wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The guy is an arrogant *****. It’s hard to imagine him selling and walking away right now. I’m sure he wants to turn this around and prove everybody wrong.
Or it could be him wanting to justify his behavior, much more than turn things around.

If he were responsive to results, it wouldn't be what it is.

If he were smart enough to see what he's done . . . he would have known better than to do it.

You can't reason with an unreasonable person. Especially one who lucked into a billion dollar baby.

Luck = Jerry Colangelo choosing him and his gang.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He called Gambo and told him to spin it, which he did all afternoon. I think he'll do a guest spot within the next week or so provided the Suns don't get blown out badly. We'll see but I highly doubt he's going to stay in the shadows after Gambo's spin cycle started. Gambo was even naming his sources, some directly contradicting the ESPN piece like Grant Hill.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sarver might do an appearance and pretend to be concerned about PR but he’s an egotistical billionaire control freak. There’s a better chance this results in him being even more contentious.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver might do an appearance and pretend to be concerned about PR but he’s an egotistical billionaire control freak. There’s a better chance this results in him being even more contentious.

If he does show up on Gambo's show I'll bet it's prerecorded. No chance will he do a live interview. It will be carefully planned and feature nothing but cherry picked questions with it being edited by Sarver's people before it gets the ok, just in case. They'll claim it's live on the air though.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
He's walked away from businesses before. In fact, it's his style.

Sarver's style of owning banks is the typical path a greedy douche canoe community banker takes.

1. Start a small community bank, staff it with yes-men, poach customers from other banks, relax credit standards, and watch the thing grow. When a larger bank sees the growth, they offer to buy the bank, which he gleefully does.

2. Start another community bank, hire the yes-men away from the larger bank and start poaching the customers from them. It's like the back of a bottle of Prell, "rinse and repeat."

He never sticks with anything. If someone offered anough cash for the Suns, he'd walk away and tell Phoenix to go F-off, since his real allegiance is 90 miles down south.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Not gonna lie, I wish there was video footage of McDonough’s reaction to the goats defecating in his office :p

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can you imagine Sarver doing an Undercover Boss episode?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
After reading the article it sounds like the Suns are lucky to have Trevor Bukstein in the front office. He seems to be a nuts and bolts person who knows how everything works.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...messy-dysfunctional-front-office?platform=amp
James jones needs to not open his mouth. He sounds defensive every time he talks. And as a first year interim gm with barely a year in a front office before that he’s openly admitting that he doesn’t think he has to work as hard as virtually all other GMs. Great.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James jones needs to not open his mouth. He sounds defensive every time he talks. And as a first year interim gm with barely a year in a front office before that he’s openly admitting that he doesn’t think he has to work as hard as virtually all other GMs. Great.

This was the most troubling thing I took away from the article as well... there is a reason to log the hours to get the job right. This is Jones first year acting as a General Manager.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was the most troubling thing I took away from the article as well... there is a reason to log the hours to get the job right. This is Jones first year acting as a General Manager.

The way I took the article, is he does not see himself as GM, but as half a GM. Which he kind of is since sarver named two guys for the job.

It sounds to me like Jones just wants to be a player liaison to the front office, which I guess is fine, but he should not be called or paid like a GM if that is all his job entails - and he should not be our publicly known as the GM if he really does not do GM duties that interact with other teams at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I took the article, is he does not see himself as GM, but as half a GM. Which he kind of is since sarver named two guys for the job.

It sounds to me like Jones just wants to be a player liaison to the front office, which I guess is fine, but he should not be called or paid like a GM if that is all his job entails - and he should not be our publicly known as the GM if he really does not do GM duties that interact with other teams at all.

I agree with this. The Suns could use a player liaison. This has been a huge problem area for the Suns. Maybe the Suns can give him a nice title to go with the job.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with this. The Suns could use a player liaison. This has been a huge problem area for the Suns. Maybe the Suns can give him a nice title to go with the job.

Vice President of player personnel relations?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I was curious to see what the market returned in that same time period. Amazingly the S&P 500 has had a total return(dividends reinvested) of 236% from July of 2004 to today.

Yeah, and over the same period, the value of our home has gone up maybe 20%. But hey, real estate is the great investment!

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I will ask a rather existential question after winning vs. New York:

Has the ESPN Wojnarowiski (sp?) had an affect on the players?

Follow me:

Woj harpooned Bobby, and the goat story has become a national joke. But also in the story, it highlighted players who were directly impacted by this shizznit. Are the players now at a point where they can say, "Now we're out from under. We don't have to deal with this junk since it's now a countrywide joke, and we can gain some wings and do what we're supposed to."

Of course, Sarverfish could come down on them like a ton of bricks. Force them to lose. But it would just make him look more like the douche canoe that he already is. He clearly cares about his legacy, and right now, it involves a trail of goat feces. Is he really gonna step into that as he's done the last decade? This is our "original" pro team, now Rawhide.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Oh man, I'd love to have Kemba on the team, but I don't think there's any way the Suns could clear enough space to get him. I guess there's the sign and trade route. Johnson's expiring massive salary might be useful in that scenario...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kemba will be an unrestricted free agent so a sign and trade is unlikely.

The Suns would have to cut salary to go after him. It would be risky.