Woj: Suns in a state of disrepair.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-To-Find-Point-Guard-For-Suns-Was-Final-Straw

There are several wrecked franchises in the NBA right now.

The Suns, especially since the Eric Bledsoe trade demand.
The Caveliers, with all their overpay contracts, the departure of Kyrie for nearly nothing, and the LeBron's departure.
The Lakers. They are a dumpster fire now that it is clear that LeBron wanted to trade nearly every one of his teammates.
The Pelicans. The Brow wants out and everything is a mess and in limbo.

There are more factors in each case, but there is one common characteristic to them all.

Rich Paul. That guy wrecks whatever he touches.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ESPN is sighting in on Sarver and the Suns.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...messy-dysfunctional-front-office?platform=amp

Pretty damning stuff here.

pretty damning is an understatement. it's fugly damning
it confirms the worst about Sarver and Jones
no one of quality will want to work or play here
and even fewer fans will want to watch
i know i don't

we wanted the NBA to step in but knew they wouldn't/couldn't
but it looks like the press has intervened and dug us a hole in which they know there is only one way out

my most optimistic prediction:
1. considering the bad press and that the arena deal has increased the Suns' value, Sarver switches to soccer and sells
2. new GM, new coach

hopefully in that order
(or the GM might be hired with the understanding that ownership will be changing)

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
at this point anyone who has wasted words defending Sarver, Jones, or Igor should be embarrassed
and anyone who has defended all 3 should have their username changed to Homer Home FanBerger

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
at this point anyone who has wasted words defending Sarver, Jones, or Igor should be embarrassed
and anyone who has defended all 3 should have their username changed to Homer Home FanBerger

And anyone who has lambasted all 3?...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading the article it sounds like the Suns are lucky to have Trevor Bukstein in the front office. He seems to be a nuts and bolts person who knows how everything works.

"There's a perception of what a GM is and what a GM does, that you have to log the hours and open up the laptop. I've never purported to be that guy," Jones says. "I think it would diminish what Trevor does. He's a star when it comes to the cap, scenario planning, contracts and negotiations. And he's been really good the whole time he's been here. We have different responsibilities. My primary focus has been to manage and improve the performance and relationships within our different units: our coaching, performance team, development. The players -- that has been my focus."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...messy-dysfunctional-front-office?platform=amp

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
That is an ugly piece....Stuff like this is going to make attracting FA really tough.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After reading the article it sounds like the Suns are lucky to have Trevor Bukstein in the front office. He seems to be a nuts and bolts person who knows how everything works.

Seems like you had a different take on him than I did. If he knew what he was doing then he would have made sure either he or Jones reached out to other GM's like the article mentioned. Bukstein may handle a lot of in house Suns stuff but I didn't get the idea either were very good GM's from that article, quite the opposite. I've given Jones credit when it's been due and held off on bashing him for other things but if even half of that article is legit then he's got to go. I know Sarver can't come out and say Jones and Bukstein aren't in consideration for the GM job or the president of BB operation role, whichever they go with, but they really can't keep doing what they're doing and expect to turn things around. Jones came across more as a coach/agent than a GM based on that article. I think he can be kept within the team if we hire someone else as sort of a player liaison like he was but that's it.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Has Sarver/management ever before been blasted to this extent?

If this is the first time maybe it may cause real change.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I sure got blistered on this board for suggesting Sarver was still a problem

You're misrepresenting others. Nobody has argued that Sarver is a problem. People have argued with you and your portrayal that every personnel move is a cost saving move even when the evidence clearly shows that not to be the case.

Nobody is defending Sarver's record as an owner on this board.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time my statement had nothing to do with Sarver being cheap. It was that he was meddling in everything the GM was doing in the off season and it was clear as day if you looked.

And yes 100% multiple people told me I was crazy and Sarver wasn't a problem anymore.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has Sarver/management ever before been blasted to this extent?

If this is the first time maybe it may cause real change.

He got quite a bit during the lockout, but the Suns were still doing well with Nash at the helm so it was easy to forgive/dismiss.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the time my statement had nothing to do with Sarver being cheap. It was that he was meddling in everything the GM was doing in the off season and it was clear as day if you looked.

And yes 100% multiple people told me I was crazy and Sarver wasn't a problem anymore.

Look where though? At the people who said that Sarver would force us to take Doncic because he flew to Europe to watch him before the draft or at the people who said he would make McD take Ayton because he was also a UofA alum?

Then there is this article that says Sarver fired McD for not acquiring an NBA starting PG during the preseason but there's also been those who claimed that Sarver overrode every attempt that McD made to get a PG, be it during the draft, by trade, or free agency.

Those are 2 big things that contradict each other but they're all claims of Sarver's meddling. When both sides say he's meddling to accomplish different goals it's easier to step back and ask for proof rather than continue to call for his head.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The goats said a lot, time for the Gorilla to chime in....

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

What exactly are you looking for? People to pat you on the back and say you're Nostradamus? I just can't fathom why you crave this validation so much.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking for? People to pat you on the back and say you're Nostradamus? I just can't fathom why you crave this validation so much.

What I am looking for is for people to perhaps wrap themselves a little less in their own opinions and try to be a little less personal with their comments along the way.

I don't think that is too much to ask.