WK 9 Miami Dolphins @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread. 11/08/20

Lionstone

Reaction score
Turnover margin? I think they are an opportunistic defense.
Dolphins fan here. The most important part of the low scoring allowed is the turnover margin. The other part is the 3rd down percentage is top 3 in the league. The Dolphins defense just abuses immobile QBs, but we struggle with very mobile QBs like Murray. I actually thought we would beat the Rams, but we have yet to prove we can beat a QB like Murray.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Miami is going to get gashed by Murray’s designed runs and by our random practice squad backs running behind our top-2 o-line and Koogs’ game plan.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Dolphins fan here. The most important part of the low scoring allowed is the turnover margin. The other part is the 3rd down percentage is top 3 in the league. The Dolphins defense just abuses immobile QBs, but we struggle with very mobile QBs like Murray. I actually thought we would beat the Rams, but we have yet to prove we can beat a QB like Murray.
Thank you... and welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Murray might complete 8 passes again, but a couple will be deep shots and we are going to win by 10+.

Tuatime305

Reaction score
Dolphins fan here, and I'm excited about our upcoming game. Wanted to give you a little insight into our team. I expect a close game, but do feel like we're due for a close loss. However, there are a few things that I want to clarify:

Defense: This Miami defense is no joke. It's true that the Dolphins got torched early on in the season, but Xavien Howard and Byron Jones were never on the field together. So when one of them was missing, the Dolphins would have to play super raw rookie corner, Noah Igbinoghene, and he was getting exposed. When X and Byron on the field together, they have been lockdown. Obviously they'll have their hands full with Hopkins. I also expect for the Cardinals to take a few deep shots with Kirk or Isabella. Both safeties, Bobby McCain and Eric Rowe have really surprised this year. Bobby McCain is looking to have a career year and Eric Rowe has been a tight end eraser. The Rams don't have that receiver to stretch the field, so the Dolphins didn't have to worry about getting beat really over the top. The Jets however, did have a few open looks deep with Perriman, and Flacco just couldn't make the throw. The Dolphins defensive line has been getting better and better. Emmanuel Ogbah has been a steal in free agency with 6 sacks and Christian Wilkins is starting to become the player that the Dolphins hoped for. With that said, this is still an average to slightly above average unit. Brian Flores and Defensive Coordinator, Josh Boyer, are doing wonders with disguising their pressures and masking some deficiencies up front. It will be interesting to see how they decide to account for Kyler Murray. This will be a huge key to the game. If they can contain Murray, then the Cardinals will definitely need to have a good ground game, because this secondary is not messing around. The Dolphins defense is an average to below average unit against the run. It is getting better, but still lacks a true Mike linebacker. This will be a key to the game as well. The Cardinals will need to run the ball effectively to win this game in my opinion. I expect a lot of qb options with Kyler, because Cam Newton exposed the Dolphins defense week 1.

Offense: I would be lying if I wasn't underwhelmed with Tua's first start. However, it wasn't as bad as it looks. He protected the ball and his receiving core did him no favors by easily dropping 4-5 passes. He could've easily been 16 or 17-22. He showed the accuracy that has always been a strength of his game too. He definitely could've been better, but the play calling was also super conservative. It has been that way in all 4 of our wins. The Dolphins have jumped on their opponent and have coasted to victories. It seems as if Chan Gailey doesn't know how to call plays with a lead. The Dolphins offensive line is way better than it is given credit for being. I would say it's an average unit, but is looked at being terrible. The Dolphins running backs are underwhelming. Myles Gaskin is a nice scat back, but should not be the workhorse on any offense. The Dolphins lack a true power back. They whiffed on Jordan Howard and missed on getting LeVeon Bell. It's a nerve wrecking situation when the Dolphins have a short yardage situation. The receiving core for the Dolphins is lackluster. DeVante Parker is a beast and a Parker vs Peterson matchup will be fun to watch. Preston Williams has had nice moments, but needs to work on his concentration as he has some awful drops. Jakeem Grant is a blur and hopefully he can become a bigger part of the offense. He suffers from drops though too. Gesicki is a really good tight end, and he needs to become more involved in the offense. I expect the Dolphins to open up the play calling this week and let Tua sink or swim more.

Special Teams: This cannot be overstated. The Dolphins special teams have been stellar. Jason Sanders is making a case for being one of the best kickers in the NFL. Punter Matt Haack has gotten better each week and is really pinning teams back. Jakeem Grant can return a kick or punt at any time, but is also shaky on catching the ball on punt returns.

I really look forward to this game, and just wanted to give you more insight into our team.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dolphins fan here, and I'm excited about our upcoming game. Wanted to give you a little insight into our team. I expect a close game, but do feel like we're due for a close loss. However, there are a few things that I want to clarify:

Defense: This Miami defense is no joke. It's true that the Dolphins got torched early on in the season, but Xavien Howard and Byron Jones were never on the field together. So when one of them was missing, the Dolphins would have to play super raw rookie corner, Noah Igbinoghene, and he was getting exposed. When X and Byron on the field together, they have been lockdown. Obviously they'll have their hands full with Hopkins. I also expect for the Cardinals to take a few deep shots with Kirk or Isabella. Both safeties, Bobby McCain and Eric Rowe have really surprised this year. Bobby McCain is looking to have a career year and Eric Rowe has been a tight end eraser. The Rams don't have that receiver to stretch the field, so the Dolphins didn't have to worry about getting beat really over the top. The Jets however, did have a few open looks deep with Perriman, and Flacco just couldn't make the throw. The Dolphins defensive line has been getting better and better. Emmanuel Ogbah has been a steal in free agency with 6 sacks and Christian Wilkins is starting to become the player that the Dolphins hoped for. With that said, this is still an average to slightly above average unit. Brian Flores and Defensive Coordinator, Josh Boyer, are doing wonders with disguising their pressures and masking some deficiencies up front. It will be interesting to see how they decide to account for Kyler Murray. This will be a huge key to the game. If they can contain Murray, then the Cardinals will definitely need to have a good ground game, because this secondary is not messing around. The Dolphins defense is an average to below average unit against the run. It is getting better, but still lacks a true Mike linebacker. This will be a key to the game as well. The Cardinals will need to run the ball effectively to win this game in my opinion. I expect a lot of qb options with Kyler, because Cam Newton exposed the Dolphins defense week 1.

Offense: I would be lying if I wasn't underwhelmed with Tua's first start. However, it wasn't as bad as it looks. He protected the ball and his receiving core did him no favors by easily dropping 4-5 passes. He could've easily been 16 or 17-22. He showed the accuracy that has always been a strength of his game too. He definitely could've been better, but the play calling was also super conservative. It has been that way in all 4 of our wins. The Dolphins have jumped on their opponent and have coasted to victories. It seems as if Chan Gailey doesn't know how to call plays with a lead. The Dolphins offensive line is way better than it is given credit for being. I would say it's an average unit, but is looked at being terrible. The Dolphins running backs are underwhelming. Myles Gaskin is a nice scat back, but should not be the workhorse on any offense. The Dolphins lack a true power back. They whiffed on Jordan Howard and missed on getting LeVeon Bell. It's a nerve wrecking situation when the Dolphins have a short yardage situation. The receiving core for the Dolphins is lackluster. DeVante Parker is a beast and a Parker vs Peterson matchup will be fun to watch. Preston Williams has had nice moments, but needs to work on his concentration as he has some awful drops. Jakeem Grant is a blur and hopefully he can become a bigger part of the offense. He suffers from drops though too. Gesicki is a really good tight end, and he needs to become more involved in the offense. I expect the Dolphins to open up the play calling this week and let Tua sink or swim more.

Special Teams: This cannot be overstated. The Dolphins special teams have been stellar. Jason Sanders is making a case for being one of the best kickers in the NFL. Punter Matt Haack has gotten better each week and is really pinning teams back. Jakeem Grant can return a kick or punt at any time, but is also shaky on catching the ball on punt returns.

I really look forward to this game, and just wanted to give you more insight into our team.

Appreciate the post, but cmon man it’s 32nd in the league per DVOA. You’re giving up 4.9 ypc and we get 5.2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ive got Gaskin and the Miami D in my fantasy league so I’ve watched big chunks of their games the last couple weeks. That D is pretty damn good.

the offense with Fitz might have scared me a little more than Tua. That really was an ugly offensive game that the D and SPecial Teams took total control of.

Beginning of the year I thought this would be one of our easier games but not anymore. Miami is young, hungry and playing with a chip on their shoulder. They will def make this a game, but I think if the Cards are focused coming out of the bye, they scratch out a W here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sleep on us. Every team has. I actually think I bring a non-biased take on these Dolphins. We are not an easy out. I promise that.

I mean the Rams just dropped basically 500 yards on you and if Goff wasn't bad, I think the Rams annihilate the Dolphins.

Every good offense that has played the Dolphins have scored 30 points.

Thanks for your perspective though. I won't assume a Cardinals victory after they lost two easier games this year against the Lions and Panthers.

How it should go? The Cardinals should win by at least two TDs. The Cardinals have a fairly good defense as well and should be able to stop the Dolphins offense easily. There are no offensive players on the Dolphins that remotely strike fear.

I watched the Rams-Dolphins game and I think you're being a bit generous to Tua. Some of those drops were poor ball placement. Sure the receiver should catch it, but Tua put the ball in a bad place to secure the catch.

I have no idea what McVay was thinking. They were getting lots of chunk plays in the running game. It looked like nearly every carry was going for 9 yards.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sleep on us. Every team has. I actually think I bring a non-biased take on these Dolphins. We are not an easy out. I promise that.

Unless we play like we did against Carolina, asleep without Budda, or you guys get more D/ST TDs then we will win. It won’t be close. If you think you can stop the run, especially against us, you’re biased.

We should be favored by 6 or 6.5.

Lionstone

Reaction score
Ive got Gaskin and the Miami D in my fantasy league so I’ve watched big chunks of their games the last couple weeks. That D is pretty damn good.

the offense with Fitz might have scared me a little more than Tua. That really was an ugly offensive game that the D and SPecial Teams took total control of.

Beginning of the year I thought this would be one of our easier games but not anymore. Miami is young, hungry and playing with a chip on their shoulder. They will def make this a game, but I think if the Cards are focused coming out of the bye, they scratch out a W here.

It was very ugly!! Tua's contribution to the win was a reasonably good 33 yard TD drive with a pinpoint accurate pass to Parker, no interceptions, and some key 3rd conversions with very accurate passes to drain the clock. It was a game manager role at best. He did not panic which was good. He did not get his feet set on 6 passes which was bad. His receivers dropped 3 passes which should have been caught. It definitely should not scare your defense.

The question that no one can answer is whether he will play better in his second game. If you look at the every pass Tua threw video, you will see what I mean. He was very accurate for some of those throws. I believe his ceiling is high, but I am skeptical that he will make a dramatic improvement within a single week.

Tuatime305

Reaction score

I agree and it seems as if you have a high football IQ. Best of luck man. Should be a good one.

Tuatime305

Reaction score
I mean the Rams just dropped basically 500 yards on you and if Goff wasn't bad, I think the Rams annihilate the Dolphins.

Every good offense that has played the Dolphins have scored 30 points.

Thanks for your perspective though. I won't assume a Cardinals victory after they lost two easier games this year against the Lions and Panthers.

How it should go? The Cardinals should win by at least two TDs. The Cardinals have a fairly good defense as well and should be able to stop the Dolphins offense easily. There are no offensive players on the Dolphins that remotely strike fear.

I watched the Rams-Dolphins game and I think you're being a bit generous to Tua. Some of those drops were poor ball placement. Sure the receiver should catch it, but Tua put the ball in a bad place to secure the catch.

I have no idea what McVay was thinking. They were getting lots of chunk plays in the running game. It looked like nearly every carry was going for 9 yards.

This is not the case. The Rams ran almost 100 plays and the Dolphins yards per snap average went down after this game. You're right about the running game though. I highlighted that as the Dolphins weakness.

Tuatime305

Reaction score
It was very ugly!! Tua's contribution to the win was a reasonably good 33 yard TD drive with a pinpoint accurate pass to Parker, no interceptions, and some key 3rd conversions with very accurate passes to drain the clock. It was a game manager role at best. He did not panic which was good. He did not get his feet set on 6 passes which was bad. His receivers dropped 3 passes which should have been caught. It definitely should not scare your defense.

The question that no one can answer is whether he will play better in his second game. If you look at the every pass Tua threw video, you will see what I mean. He was very accurate for some of those throws. I believe his ceiling is high, but I am skeptical that he will make a dramatic improvement within a single week.

That’s absolutely a fair assessment. For everybody, I don’t think the Dolphins are world beaters, but they’re well coached and will bring their all against everybody. You can hear it in the press conferences: “we love each other, we play for each other, we hate letting each other down”

Tuatime305

Reaction score
Unless we play like we did against Carolina, asleep without Budda, or you guys get more D/ST TDs then we will win. It won’t be close. If you think you can stop the run, especially against us, you’re biased.

We should be favored by 6 or 6.5.

I think you should be favored by 5

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can see us putting out another statement this game, a Cards win by 20+. Not usually this confident but have a good feeling about this one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson